Ryan Mountcastle 2024

6 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Not coming at you, but who?  Will we even resign Burnes and/or Santa?

Mountcastle had a terrible 1st half in 2023 and a terrible 2nd half of 2024. He’s not really someone you want starting a playoff game, but… he’s shown you can win with him for 162 against non elite level SP. 

Elias knew something had to be done, but chose to only acquire Eloy. I think the hopes were is that Mayo would challenge for Mounty’s ABs in the playoffs this year. 

Also, who know?  Is Mountcastle even healthy, or was he just simply our best option?  RH and not Mayo/Eloy. 

Depending on what we do with Santa, 2024 could see a Heston/Mayo/O’Hearn time share at 1B/DH. Maybe Basallo/Adley in the 2nd half. 

Just my opinion… this is why we had JD Martinez threads last offseason. 

Last offseason may as well be last century.  Personally, supressing the built-in reflex to never expect the Orioles to be a consequential player in the FA market hasn't been this easy since the late 1990's.  There is zero existing basis to conclude that the new ownership group will maintain the Angelos approach to team building.  I hope they continue to primarly build from within, but until we have solid evidence one way or another, I'm not going to assume anything.  That includes a player like Soto not wearing orange and black in 2025.

And that also includes spending hundreds of millions annually in multiple FA orgies - we all know overrliance on free agents is a dumb game, especially long-term.  But the O's offense has been showing up small since the AS break and nobody is confusing Jackson Holliday with Jackson Merrill.  Another early exit from the post season and I think the conversation in the O's front office changes significantly.

Here’s something I was thinking about WRT today’s game — when was the last time the Orioles won a “do or die” game? 

My memory is telling me Game 6 of the ‘71 World Series. That was Frank’s mad dash from first to third on a soft sing yup the middle and then scoring the winning run in the 9th.

Has there been another since then? 

1 minute ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Here’s something I was thinking about WRT today’s game — when was the last time the Orioles won a “do or die” game? 

My memory is telling me Game 6 of the ‘71 World Series. That was Frank’s mad dash from first to third on a soft sing yup the middle and then scoring the winning run in the 9th.

Has there been another since then? 

2012 Wild Card game?

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Big Mac said:

2012 Wild Card game?

Thanks. How did I forget that one? 

Also, how in heck did I end up in the Mountcastle thread? This is what happens when try to follow this site in real time from the game.