2024 Prospect Power Rankings

Tony-OH

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

1st updated of the year. Will now update weekly!

8 previously unranked guys on the list.  Fun!  Michael Forret is a guy who has my attention.  He got through 5 innings in 57 and 65 pitches the last two outings.  You don’t see that kind of efficiency in the lower minors very often, and this is a kid who just turned 20 this month.   

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, Frobby said:

8 previously unranked guys on the list.  Fun!  Michael Forret is a guy who has my attention.  He got through 5 innings in 57 and 65 pitches the last two outings.  You don’t see that kind of efficiency in the lower minors very often, and this is a kid who just turned 20 this month.   

I’m very excited to read this, he’s the guy I saw at Twin Lakes that caught my eye!

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Too much love for Luis DeLeon.  Not enough for Frederick Bencosme.  🙂

Bencosme will need to earn a rise by continuing to hit and hit with some pop. He doesn't belong anywhere near SS and has proved that, but they keep running him out there because they don't have any good shortstops. He's basically a second baseman or will need to play the outfield to provide defensive value. 

What do you not like about DeLeon? They are still babying his pitch count and maybe they seem him a reliever long term, but he's getting those ground balls out and missing bats.

7 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

Bencosme will need to earn a rise by continuing to hit and hit with some pop. He doesn't belong anywhere near SS and has proved that, but they keep running him out there because they don't have any good shortstops. He's basically a second baseman or will need to play the outfield to provide defensive value. 

What do you not like about DeLeon? They are still babying his pitch count and maybe they seem him a reliever long term, but he's getting those ground balls out and missing bats.

I get a reliever vibe with DeLeon.  Fastball/slider.   Kind of slings the ball.  No?

I agree Bencosme is not a SS.  Like his age/level, contact ability, and possible uptick in power.

Edited by RZNJ

While I would not go as far to say the system is “balanced,” there does seem to be more quantity of interesting arms to follow this year.  For instance, 2-3 years ago it was just Grayson & Hall then utter nothingness, and last year it was really just Povich McDermott and unknowns….whereas this year we can dream on guys like DeLeon, Baumeister, Bright, Chace, Forret and still hope for injury bounce backs from Johnson and Baumler.  And then interesting wild card reliever types like Gilles, Sharkey, Lord.  Inevitably there will be attrition because TINSTAPP, but I’m excited to follow the development journey these young fellas make in 2024. 

Edited by Say O!

1 hour ago, LookinUp said:

@Tony-OHhave you had a chance to see or hear anything about Cam Weston yet? Is there real upside or is this an older guy who's maybe more advanced than his league?

I need to take a relook at him with this year's stuff. I'll let you all know once I do.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

@Tony-OH   It’s early but is Forret possibly a better prospect than DeLeon?  A year younger.  Sounds like velo is similar.  Better control?

Potentially. I really need to see more of both this year to make that call, but Forret is going to be quick riser for sure with his stuff and results.

A couple of things that I find interesting,

Yaqui Rivera - Acquired in the Tanner Scott/Cole Sulser trade with the Marlins.

Juan Nunez - Acquired in the Jorge Lopez trade.  

Creed Willems - still only 20 and already in A+.  He got off to a big start last year as well and then struggled the rest of the year.  We're a little spoiled with prospect success from the college guys and HS phenoms Mayo, Holliday, and Gunnar.  The HS position players take some time.  

You can really see how the emphasis on pitching post the top two picks in last year’s draft makes the 11-30 not as clear cut as it’s been recently. 

With our team being so LH with everyday players, guys like Norby, Rhodes, and Fabian, will all have extra value to us because they fit in as cheap bench players to their LH counterparts. 

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

You can really see how the emphasis on pitching post the top two picks in last year’s draft makes the 11-30 not as clear cut as it’s been recently. 

With our team being so LH with everyday players, guys like Norby, Rhodes, and Fabian, will all have extra value to us because they fit in as cheap bench players to their LH counterparts. 

I am really interested to see if Fabian can be that super utility OF who can play all 3 positions plus…would be a real value to this team as currently constructed.

Enrique Bradfield Jr. kind of worries me.  I saw some post that said the Orioles gave him some things to do in the off season and he didn't do them.  I have no details.  

They got to get this guy to drive the ball some how or he risk being a bust.  I honestly never was in love with this pick.