The Defense Thread, 2024

Frobby

16 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Can’t believe how many people think Hays should have called Henderson off on the blooper in the 9th.  You don’t call for a ball if you’re not sure you can get there.   I don’t think Hays could have gotten there.  Henderson had the better chance.

Co-sign this.

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

Let me see if I have done this correctly:

https://www.mlb.com/video/00u7tgd3tufIUmaZP356/reels/4-1-o-s-vs-royals-notable-defensive-plays?partnerId=web_multimedia-search_video-share

Hopefully I have captured here all the good and bad (or questionable) plays discussed in this thread for last night's game.   There were ten of them!   That's a huge number compared to most

Thanks for putting this together!  Cool website feature.

Adley's throw was perfect.  Urias got beat on a tough hit across his body/down - no shame there.  Mounty and Santa!

Love the hustle and passion! 

32 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Where Mullins recovers the ball and starts his throw.

image.thumb.png.fd00b5a710c466a0a1b68003c8636af3.png

Where the ball hits the ground

image.thumb.png.965a5df96d4d18ea4cb2f290ab5469f7.png

And Westburg getting it on the 2nd hop

image.thumb.png.fbc4c16ab4319c5c78206c507caa738e.png

How do you get these still shots?

42 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Gotta do better than that. Geez O’Hearn.  

I mean that’s not on OHearn. That’s on Hyde and Elias. You can’t put him out there. Just like you couldn’t put Mullins at SS. Put players in positions to succeed. We have enough good ones to be able to do it effectively. OHearn should never be in the OF. 

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

Let me see if I have done this correctly:

https://www.mlb.com/video/00u7tgd3tufIUmaZP356/reels/4-1-o-s-vs-royals-notable-defensive-plays?partnerId=web_multimedia-search_video-share

Hopefully I have captured here all the good and bad (or questionable) plays discussed in this thread for last night's game.   There were ten of them!   That's a huge number compared to most nights.

Really wish I could get these to play, but yours and Tony’s from the other day just buffer, never actually play.

Will try later on the laptop, maybe it’s the phone causing the issue.

Regardless, thanks for the effort.

1 hour ago, justD said:

Really wish I could get these to play, but yours and Tony’s from the other day just buffer, never actually play.

Will try later on the laptop, maybe it’s the phone causing the issue.

Regardless, thanks for the effort.

Hmm, I can play it on my phone just fine.  

6 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Hmm, I can play it on my phone just fine.  

Oh, I wasn’t saying there was a problem with it. Just frustrated that it doesn’t work on *my* phone, because I think it’s a cool feature.  Tony’s didn’t work for me either, on my phone. 

3 hours ago, waroriole said:

I mean that’s not on OHearn. That’s on Hyde and Elias. You can’t put him out there. Just like you couldn’t put Mullins at SS. Put players in positions to succeed. We have enough good ones to be able to do it effectively. OHearn should never be in the OF. 

Agreed.  O'Hearn is just a below average outfielder and should be relegated to 1B/DH only.  It's also ironic for all the talk from Elias and Mansolino about the importance of defense and having plus defenders at every position they put O'Hearn in the outfield.  Is O'Hearn better defensively at RF than Holliday is at 2B?? 

11 minutes ago, justD said:

Oh, I wasn’t saying there was a problem with it. Just frustrated that it doesn’t work on *my* phone, because I think it’s a cool feature.  Tony’s didn’t work for me either, on my phone. 

I understand, I’m just wondering what the problem with your phone could be.