The Defense Thread, 2024

Frobby

4 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Later in the inning, McCann tried to pick a runner off 3B, but his throw hit the runner and trickled into LF, allowing that runner to score and another to advance to 3B.  

He would have had him but...  not the right situation to do that with 2 outs.  Fine with 0 or 1 out.

3 hours ago, btdart20 said:

He would have had him but...  not the right situation to do that with 2 outs.  Fine with 0 or 1 out.

Yeah and the count was 0-2 on top of there being 2 outs. It's like Jim Palmer said during the broadcast of one of the 1st 2 games... In that situation (2 outs) just focus on the batter. Get the batter out and end the inning.

On 3/30/2024 at 1:00 PM, Frobby said:

Post here any time you see a notable play, good or bad.  

Game 1, March 28

The only notable play in this game, IMO, was Mateo’s rushed throw on a DP pivot that bounced past  Mountcastle and allowed two runs to score.  Poor throw and it looked like a ball Mounty might have picked, though by no means an easy one.  Most of the blame goes to Mateo.

I also thought Adley had an excellent day framing, noticeably better than his counterpart Ryan O’Hoppe.

It would be really cool if people went into the filmroom in baseball savant for each game and post the video of the play. 

17 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It would be really cool if people went into the filmroom in baseball savant for each game and post the video of the play. 

I didn’t know one could do that.  Where is the “film room” on Baseball Savant?

Just now, Frobby said:

I didn’t know one could do that.  Where is the “film room” on Baseball Savant?

The easiest way to find it is when you go into the game thread in baseball savant, after the game is over a filmroom tab will show up that has all of the plays from the game. With Filters you can narrow down what you are looking for then create "reels" to put those plays into a quick video that you can link to.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The easiest way to find it is when you go into the game thread in baseball savant, after the game is over a filmroom tab will show up that has all of the plays from the game. With Filters you can narrow down what you are looking for then create "reels" to put those plays into a quick video that you can link to.

Sorry to be so dense, but where on the screen is the film room tab?  Can you post a screen shot?

11 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

image.thumb.png.41e7c992c03609858875e588dbc30c81.png

Thanks, Tony.  I spend 90% of my internet time on my mobile phone, and the mobile version of Savant doesn’t have that ribbon at the top or any other way to access the film room that I can see.   Now that I know this exists, I’ll try to hop on my laptop at some point and post the video links.   

Savant is even better than I thought!   Now if they’d only post the catch probabilities of the OF plays in the game feed…

Dean Kremer is going to have a tough time achieving his 200 innings pitched goal if he has to get five outs an inning.

Not one of the errors, but I also wondered if Mateo's arm over Westburg's may have been enough to get that double play on Witt.

4 hours ago, Just Regular said:

Dean Kremer is going to have a tough time achieving his 200 innings pitched goal if he has to get five outs an inning.

Not one of the errors, but I also wondered if Mateo's arm over Westburg's may have been enough to get that double play on Witt.

My views from the stands tonight:

1. The ball got stuck in in Gunnar's glove.  Witt beat it by a good bit, wasn't really close.  I don't think a better arm makes the play.  The second Gunnar hesitated it was over.  

2. Urias's ball was one of those terrible in-betweeners, he got stuck on his heels and should have kept coming at it for a better hop.  Saw that coming the second he stopped moving.  

3. They ran right in Ced's face, runner didn't hesitate.  Ced went pretty hard for it, for sure could have gone harder, but the throw was to the wrong side of the bag.  Infielders are getting used to the new no block the base rule and I think we'll see some funky tags/positioning to start the year, but all in all was a pretty bad throw, can't miss 3rd base side on that throw.

4. Hays did not seem to be going all out for the blooper in the 9th.  I think he thought Gunnar had it all the way and had an "oh shit' moment at the last second.  If he went hard for it from the beginning it should have been caught, that ball was up there for what seemed like an eternity.  Don't see that many balls with so much hang time not get caught.  

Edited by emmett16
  • Upvote 1

I didn’t see the 2 SB in the 9th inning.  I know the one at third was being reviewed and was close.

But overall, we need Adley to throw better.  He had a real bad throw on the Witt SB earlier in the game.

Edited by Sports Guy

2 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

I didn’t see the 2 SB in the 9th inning.  I know the one at third was being reviewed and was close.

But overall, we need Adley to throw better.  He has a real bad throw on the Witt SB earlier in the game.

This is a game that deserves a detailed defensive write-up.

But got to be said, they're going to run all over Kimbrel.  Everybody is.  Just like Felix.  

That's the trade-off.