The Defense Thread, 2024

Frobby

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I agree.  It’s the Defense thread.   They had one of their worst defensive games of the year.   Simple as that.

The Orioles were still in the game (relatively speaking) when Perez came in...right away he hit a batter and then let the floodgates in....Perez has been lousy lately....mostly since he came back from the DL...I would look for a better option..Vespi or Povich might improve the pen...

9 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

The Orioles were still in the game (relatively speaking) when Perez came in...right away he hit a batter and then let the floodgates in....Perez has been lousy lately....mostly since he came back from the DL...I would look for a better option..Vespi or Povich might improve the pen...

I just said yesterday I don’t trust Perez.  Still, if Gunnar throws out Carroll we’re out of the inning.

I should mention, Gunnar made two highlight reel plays.  Sprinting from close to 2B into short LF (103 ft) to catch the popup and going deep to his backhand and making the jump throw.

More of a mental error on Carroll’s ball but it was costly.  Perez was mostly bad but the inning should have been over.

Posted (edited)

Some defensive numbers at the quarter pole:

Henderson +4 Rdrs, +4 Rtot, +4 OAA, -0.1 UZR

Mountcastle +4 Rdrs, 0 Rtot, -1 OAA, -0.6 UZR

Mateo +3 Rdrs, +4 Rtot, -1 OAA, 0.0 UZR

Rutschman +2 Rdrs, +3 Rtot, -1 CS, -1 FR, +1 BL

Mullins +2 Rdrs, -1 Rtot, +2 OAA, +1.4 UZR

Urias +1 Rdrs, -1 Rtot, 0 OAA, -0.5 UZR

Westburg +1 Rdrs, -1 Rtot, +1 OAA, -0.3 UZR

Cowser 0 Rdrs, +1 Rtot, +4 OAA, +1.5 UZR

O’Hearn 0 Rdrs, -2 Rtot, 0 OAA, -0.6 UZR

Santander -2 Rdrs, +1 Rtot, 0 OAA, -0.2 UZR

Hays -2 Rdrs, -2 Rtot, -1 OAA, + 0.4 UZR

McCannn -4 Rdrs, -1 Rtot, 0 CS, -2 FR, -1 BL

Cano +2 Rdrs

TEAM: +11 Rdrs (11th in MLB) +5 Rtot (10th), +9 OAA (6th),+0.6 UZR (13th)

Edited by Frobby
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Natty said:

Santanders muff in right just cost us 2 runs.

Tough play but he wasn’t direct to the ball and he just didn’t catch it.   If O’Hearn does the exact same thing the board goes crazy and says Santander would have had it.

11 minutes ago, emmett16 said:

Pretty  unacceptable not to know that ball would move left to right with a RH batter up.  Terrible route.  

Not exactly his first game in RF.   He’s been playing RF for years.  Pretty sure he knows about slices and hooks.

2 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Not exactly his first game in RF.   He’s been playing RF for years.  Pretty sure he knows about slices and hooks.

Precisely.  Which is why it was unacceptable.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Tough play but he wasn’t direct to the ball and he just didn’t catch it.   If O’Hearn does the exact same thing the board goes crazy and says Santander would have had it.

McKenna would have had it. 🫣

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

McKenna would have had it. 🫣

Ha.  McKenna would have frozen first before he went back and missed it by 10 feet.   🙂

P.S. @Frobby is going to call me out for that.

4 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Ha.  McKenna would have frozen first before he went back and missed it by 10 feet.   🙂

P.S. @Frobby is going to call me out for that.

I’ll be interested to see the catch probability on that.  

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I’ll be interested to see the catch probability on that.  

I’ll wait for you to let me know.  Too complicated for me to figure it out on Savant.     All I know is it’s less than 100% but probably over 50%.

Game 41, May 15, 3-2 win against Toronto

Westburg charged a slow chopper from Bichette but his throw pulled Mountcastle off the base.   Properly scored a single but its a play that could have been made.  Bo Bichette singles on a ground ball to third baseman Jordan Westburg. | 05/15/2024 | MLB.com

Santander missed a catch near the wall that went for a two-run double.   Bo Bichette's two-run double | 05/15/2024 | MLB.com  I can't find the catch probability for this play.

O'Hearn made a sliding catch in the top of the 9th.  80% catch probabilty (2-star).  Ryan O'Hearn's sliding catch | 05/15/2024 | MLB.com

Kiermeier hit a double over O'Hearn's head.  30% catch probability.  Kevin Kiermaier doubles (3) on a sharp line drive to right fielder Ryan O'Hearn. | 05/15/2024 | MLB.com

O'Hearn made a running catch in the RF alley.  99% catch probability (1 star).  Daulton Varsho lines out to right fielder Ryan O'Hearn. | 05/15/2024 | MLB.com