Gunnar Henderson 2024

1 minute ago, Tony-OH said:

100%. this ridiculousness by a few crankies around here is absolutely bonkers when it comes to Gunnar. He's one of, if not the best player in the game right now. And yes, he's still going to fail more than have success and yes, sometimes he's going to get frustrated, whether it with himself or the ump. Who cares?

The fact that Gunnar actually have posting busting on him just goes to show, you can never satisfy everyone. 

I mean, if we're in a game thread and you want to complain about a bad PA, then sure, but really, we're talking about whether or not Gunnar is mad at the umpires and think he has a flaw in his strike zone judgement? 

You're literally the guy saying Gunner is complete garbage when he doesn't do something in high-leverage situations and "he's the last player you want to see" "he comes up small when the bases are loaded like clockwork".

36 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'd invite you to go watch both of his looking strikeouts against the Phillies on 6/16. Now, when players are generally disappointed with themselves, they don't turn and face the ump, shake their heads, and hold out their hands like that pitch was a ball. Bottom of the 5th and Bottom of the 8th. Enjoy! This is not a new thing.

WHO CARES????????????????????????

Gunnar is 22-years old. He's shown emotions on the field his entire career from throwing helmets down to jawwing at ump on occasion. He's a competitor playing at the highest level and has probably unbelievable expectations for himself. Occasionally he might show emotion in the wrong way. So what?

He's not out of control, he's not throwing bats at opponents, and he just showed his composure after getting drilled by the Yankees. You are trying to build a wart for some reason. Maybe just enjoy our generational talent?

• Upvote 1

Just now, Tony-OH said:

Gunnar is 22-years old. He's shown emotions on the field his entire career from throwing helmets down to jawwing at ump on occasion. He's a competitor playing at the highest level and has probably unbelievable expectations for himself. Occasionally he might show emotion in the wrong way. So what?

He's not out of control, he's not throwing bats at opponents, and he just showed his composure after getting drilled by the Yankees. You are trying to build a wart for some reason. Maybe just enjoy our generational talent?

Take your own advice and enjoy him instead of shitting all over him when he doesn't come through with the bases loaded and act like he's garbage. There are receipts, I'm not going to get them.

If this is your role on here - charge on. I think you are baying at windmills but that's me and quite frankly I AM totally unimpressed. IMO, your timing has a lot to be desired. Here's the deal - you be you and I'll continue to be me. I like, "The Voice of Reason!"

6 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

This was a quote in the game thread the other night.  It is like Oriole fans criticizing Frank Robinson in 1966.  I just don’t understand what people are watching.  Of course Gunnar the free swinger is leading the team with 40 walks.

On 6/19/2024 at 10:40 PM, Uli2001 said:

Henderson is developing a reputation as a selfish free swinger. That's all. He must be thinking about his numbers and the millions more he can make in FA with each HR. Flame me if you want, but I call it like I see it.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Malike said:

Is he telling the umps he's upset at himself? Why else would he look at them and point to the zone instead of just walking away?

I actually watched it a sec ago because I didn't see that game but have noted over time his weakness out there and reaction. Plenty of examples (too many?!) where he isn't jawing with the ump. In this case he does shake his head at the umpire and was clearly in disagreement with his call.

Here is the graphic:
image.png.14105f1b0e605b4544d74eb5d38c098a.png

Here is the pitch:
image.thumb.png.1911ef531fb91d82471535315520e318.png

He's fine. Watching it live it was the right call (a strike), but Gunnar is no villain or remotely embarrassing with his conduct. 

2 hours ago, Malike said:

Ah the voice of reason whenever someone has a criticism, God forbid. It's a bad look when players do things like that, we clown Jose Siri for doing it on clear strike 3 calls. Gunnar, as great as he is is not beyond criticism. Nobody cares if you are impressed or not, but when a 22-year-old starts jawing at umps when he clearly was struck out, it's not cool, no matter what team he is on.

That's a clown opinion, bro 🤡🤡🤡

• Haha 1

The man is pacing towards an 11-win season, and here we are.

By the arbitrary end point of the 50 some years I've been alive, Fangraphs reckons it has happened 5 times in about 7500 player-seasons, or 2 depending how you feel about Barry Bonds.

Sorry, 1991 Cal, in 6th place at 10.6.

• Upvote 2

6 hours ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Current pace:

140 R

179 H

32 Doubles

9 Triples

52 HRs

114 RBI

.284 / .381 / .610 and 11.7 WAR. 

I don’t think his WAR updated last night. Now he’s on pace for 12.5 which would be the highest ever besides Babe Ruth. That’s crazy to think about compared to Bonds 73 HR season. 

By rWAR, he is more than two-thirds of the way to 1983 Cal's number.

It seems odd in memory since 1984 was the Tigers blowout to see B-Ref giving Cal's 1984 a 10.0-8.3 edge on the MVP season.

Willie Hernandez's better teammates probably helped stop the back to back try by Cal.

3 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

By rWAR, he is more than two-thirds of the way to 1983 Cal's number.

It seems odd in memory since 1984 was the Tigers blowout to see B-Ref giving Cal's 1984 a 10.0-8.3 edge on the MVP season.

Willie Hernandez's better teammates probably helped stop the back to back try by Cal.

Little off topic here but how the hell did Cal come in 27th in MVP voting in a year where he had 10 WAR? 

Somebody should put together a clip of Gunnar protesting correct strike calls and tell him that he's not helping himself, his reputation with umpires or the team when he argues and is wrong. He can do what he wants with that information. 

16 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Somebody should put together a clip of Gunnar protesting correct strike calls and tell him that he's not helping himself, his reputation with umpires or the team when he argues and is wrong. He can do what he wants with that information. 

1.  I really don’t think he protests that often.

2.  He’s getting WAY more calls this year than he did last year.  So clearly, any protesting he’s doing isn’t hurting him with the umps.   

3.  I never noticed that constant whining by Jeter or Ortiz ever hurt them with the umps.  

Totally overblown topic IMO.   Nothing to see here.  

• Upvote 2
  • Thanks 1