Coby Mayo 2024

Tony-OH

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

It’s crazy to me how  I hear some talking head on the MLB channel etc acting like hie isn’t basically untouchable. There aren’t a lot of guys in the minors I would take over him.  He also is getting a little more time at first it appears.  

Edited by baltfan

3 hours ago, baltfan said:

It’s crazy to me how  I hear some talking head on the MLB channel etc acting like hie isn’t basically untouchable. There aren’t a lot of guys in the minors I would take over him.  He also is getting a little more time at first it appears.  

Because he's not being promoted.

5 hours ago, baltfan said:

I don’t think anyone is technically untouchable. If the Braves offered us Acuna for Mayo you would have to make that deal. The MLB channel is just trying to fill time slots and keep non competitive teams fans interested. We all know there is no way Mike Elias is trading Mayo for a Reliever. He’s acquired half our bullpen off the waiver wire or trade throw in like Cano. 

Another thought Is Charlie Condon will more than likely be the number 1 overall pick. I would take Mayo over him. Mayo has similar proven power and a better athlete. 

Mayo is by no means untouchable.  We’ve seen teams trade top 10 overall prospects many times, and Mayo isn’t quite in that league.  Not saying we will trade him.  Not saying we’d trade him without getting a star player in return.  But he could be traded in the right deal.  

No player is untouchable. I don’t care if it’s Holliday, Adley, Gunnar, Basallo or Mayo.

That said, the player(s) that you would have to get back in return to move any of those guys are also not being traded, so for me, it’s a worthless conversation to have.

The Os have plenty of trade pieces that could get back what they need without trading the elite guys.

• Upvote 1

If Elias could justify calling up Holliday with the some roster makeup, then I don't see why Mayo shouldn't be called up.  It's the same case for him.  Super prospect, with elite skills, that can be a real difference maker now and in September/October, and that we're willing to sacrifice the Super Two to have him up right now.  

We're at the 1/4 point of the season, meaning that guys will need regular rest.  Mayo could easily be playing in 6 out of every 7 games, and he should be.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

If Elias could justify calling up Holliday with the some roster makeup, then I don't see why Mayo shouldn't be called up.  It's the same case for him.  Super prospect, with elite skills, that can be a real difference maker now and in September/October, and that we're willing to sacrifice the Super Two to have him up right now.  

We're at the 1/4 point of the season, meaning that guys will need regular rest.  Mayo could easily be playing in 6 out of every 7 games, and he should be.  

Have you read this article? https://theathletic.com/5481059/2024/05/09/mlb-top-hitting-prospects-majors/

"“It feels like the gap between Triple A and the big leagues is as great as it’s ever been and it’s that much harder to assess a hitter’s readiness as a result,” Rays president of baseball operations Erik Neander said. “Speaking mostly on our own experiences, when providing a young hitter major-league opportunity we have to feel confident that they are well prepared to take a step back before they take two steps forward, and that your major league team is in a position to support that journey, too.

What this article is essentially saying is that you have to be ready for the prospect to suck for an extended period of time at the MLB level. The O's can't really afford that right now. They brought up the #1 prospect in baseball and he wasn't ready. AAA is not preparing guys like it used to. Mayo is very likely to struggle bigly in Baltimore. 

Posted (edited)
11 minutes ago, Jim'sKid26 said:

Have you read this article? https://theathletic.com/5481059/2024/05/09/mlb-top-hitting-prospects-majors/

"“It feels like the gap between Triple A and the big leagues is as great as it’s ever been and it’s that much harder to assess a hitter’s readiness as a result,” Rays president of baseball operations Erik Neander said. “Speaking mostly on our own experiences, when providing a young hitter major-league opportunity we have to feel confident that they are well prepared to take a step back before they take two steps forward, and that your major league team is in a position to support that journey, too.

What this article is essentially saying is that you have to be ready for the prospect to suck for an extended period of time at the MLB level. The O's can't really afford that right now. They brought up the #1 prospect in baseball and he wasn't ready. AAA is not preparing guys like it used to. Mayo is very likely to struggle bigly in Baltimore. 

We very much can afford growing pains.  The goal is to have him ready for October.  We've already survived Holliday's growing pains, and Urias' just regular pains.  Urias has a .497 OPS.  Mayo putting up even a .700 OPS would be huge.  Hays will be back for Kjerstad.  Mayo would come up for Mckenna's spot.  A 5th pure OF isn't needed, because O'Hearn can play some COF, and Mateo/Cowser can back up in CF.  

Also, other prospects shouldn't get lumped in with Holliday's struggles.  Each player is different.

Edited by sportsfan8703

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Mayo is by no means untouchable.  We’ve seen teams trade top 10 overall prospects many times, and Mayo isn’t quite in that league.  Not saying we will trade him.  Not saying we’d trade him without getting a star player in return.  But he could be traded in the right deal.  

To Wit:

Chris Sale was traded from White Sox to Red Sox for #1 prospect (and reigning Minor League Player of the Year) Yoan Moncada. The ChiSox also received Michael Kopech, + 2 other non-consequential prospects)..

I was a believer in the value Urias adds to the roster, plus defense, decent bat, etc., but IF, and I know its a question mark, Mayo can indeed handle 3B, sure would make for a pretty lineup with Mayo in the middle.

Urias has a decent track record, not sure if his .497 OPS and 46+ OPS+ is indicative of his true, current skill set, but with JW to backup Mayo, and Mateo simulating a major league hitter and 2nd baseman...... 

In ME i trust, but just as another idiot fan, I'm ready to see it happen.

4 hours ago, Frobby said:

Trust me, he isn't going anywhere.

• Upvote 1