John Means 2024

Tony-OH

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

A big part of what caused Means to take the step forward he did was an increase in velocity.

2018 Means went 3.1 innings and gave up five earned runs.

Statistics twitter guy is a good fan so I'm not trying to dunk too hard, but there is almost nothing about John Means right now that ISN'T concerning. It's all a concern, and we're waiting to see what becomes of it.

I don’t think Means can be anything more than a fifth starter caliber pitcher throwing 89-92. 

The fastball doesn’t get any whiffs at that velocity. He needs to be 92-94 and his bread and butter (the change) plays up much more. 

Based on the stats of nearly all the starters in Norfolk, I'm guessing the defense for the Tides has been pretty bad this year so far. A pitcher like means is a guy who relies in soft contact. And then you watch a guy like Albert Suarez have terrible statistics down there but dominates playing for the Major League team backed up by better fielders.

That and robo umps.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Based on the stats of nearly all the starters in Norfolk, I'm guessing the defense for the Tides has been pretty bad this year so far. A pitcher like means is a guy who relies in soft contact. And then you watch a guy like Albert Suarez have terrible statistics down there but dominates playing for the Major League team backed up by better fielders.

That and robo umps.

that definitely wasn't the problem last start, every ball was crushed - check out the exit velocities on baseball savant

9 minutes ago, Br10n said:

The exit velocity of the balls put in play was very low. I believe only two balls exceeded 90 mph. 

this start? I'm talking about last start. every ball was crushed.

14 minutes ago, Br10n said:

The exit velocity of the balls put in play was very low. I believe only two balls exceeded 90 mph. 

Four of the hits were 56, 37, 70 and 74 mph.  I’d call today a good step in the right direction.  

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

That and robo umps.

Fantastic point.  Everybody is going to be calling for a Means extension after 2-3 starts back in the majors.  

I'm not concerned one bit about him.

Edited by yark14

11 hours ago, yark14 said:

Fantastic point.  Everybody is going to be calling for a Means extension after 2-3 starts back in the majors.  

I'm not concerned one bit about him.

Well, given his injury history, please put me down in the camp for a big no to any extension for John Means. If we are going to pay for pitching beyond this season (which we should and probably will have to) I am very confident that we will be able to find better than I guy who hasn’t been healthy since 2021. Extending him after 2 or 3 starts after he has missed 2 years seems to be the definition of unwise.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Well, given his injury history, please put me down in the camp for a big no to any extension for John Means. If we are going to pay for pitching beyond this season (which we should and probably will have to) I am very confident that we will be able to find better than I guy who hasn’t been healthy since 2021. Extending him after 2 or 3 starts after he has missed 2 years seems to be the definition of unwise.

There’s only one or two posters I know of who have seriously suggested extending Means, and that was during the offseason before his delayed start to 2024 and rocky rehab.  yark14 is crazy if he thinks anyone but him will be clamoring for a Means extension after 2-3 starts.   He could throw 20 shutout innings and I doubt there would be much clamor.  Let’s see Means get through the remainder of the season healthy and then we can worry about whether we want him to be part of the team in 2025.   

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’m thinking we see this,

Means for DFA Ramirez. Means will pitch out the pen. 

Bradish for Tate/Akin optioned to AAA. 

Hopefully Means gets a rehab extension for another 30 days. If not, this seems right to me.

Does Bradish go to the pen, or does he start with one of Suarez, Kremer, or Irvin pushed to the pen? I kind of like Bradish as an opener with Irvin backing him up most of his starts.