John Means 2024

Tony-OH

10 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Someone said he pitched well in a "few games".  I provided information. 

I watched those games and he didn't look as good to me as the score would indicate.

FIP is not supposed to be used for such a small sample size… not that it’s very useful anyway. 

8 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

Gee maybe for starters a useful pitcher like Flaherty’s teammate (Montgomery) who was available to acquire by trade instead. That’s just one example amongst several. 

At least Bradish and Grayson (who was a rookie) pitched. Flaherty was so (predictably) bad that we couldn’t even use him in the playoffs (which was the only reason he was acquired). 

At least Bradish and Grayson Pitched? How did they help us? And Montgomery? How does he help us, lets spitball and say he wins game 3, somebody has to pitch game 4, say hello to Kremer or Gibson say goodbye to your season. What else you got that's  good that Texas picked up JM for same price as Flaherty 

9 hours ago, Malike said:

I said it before and  I'll say it again. We remember Means being the only good pitcher on the worst team in baseball by far, for years. I get we romanticize those players, but he wasn't an Ace then and he sure doesn't look like he'll be one now.

No romamticizing here.  Many referred to him as a solid #2 back in the day.  I referred to him as a #2-3.  Going forward he's a back-end starter at best unless he proves something more than the smoke and mirrors from last season.

3 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Means starting tonight for Norfolk. Hopefully he puts some length in his start tonight. Probably his next to last minor league start if they do bring him back up. 

Well, he either shows something or he doesn't. I don't think he's going anywhere until he shows something. 

38 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

Means starting tonight for Norfolk. Hopefully he puts some length in his start tonight. Probably his next to last minor league start if they do bring him back up. 

If he doesn't show anything, why would they bring hm back (especially to the rotation)? 

Some sloppy defense by Norby and the SS cost him two runs.  In my opinion.  Maybe Norby was just unlucky not getting a tag on a base stealer. But the SS should of been able to make an inning ending play.