John Means 2024

Tony-OH

5 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Sorry. I’m treating John Means rehab assignment like Spring Training, which it is for him. 

Even for spring training, it’s been pretty dismal.   He was much sharper in last year’s rehab starts.  Hopefully he’ll start sharpening up next time out.  

12 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Sorry. I’m treating John Means rehab assignment like Spring Training, which it is for him. And I ignore those numbers. There’s a chance Means shows no ability to get minor league hitters out like Dillon Tate last year and management has to make a decision. His AAA Era will not be good. But if he followed up this performance with a couple good ones, I won’t really care that his overall ERA is 10.00+ on his rehab assignment. 

the reference to 2017-2018 Tillman = good pitcher that didn’t have it anymore. 

I don't think anyone here is focused on his ERA. I agree that if his next 2 starts look good, you can basically throw out his other starts. But right now he it's looking a lot like Tate last year and nothing about any of his starts sparks confidence. 

It's a shame that we have nothing else to go on. No Means quote, nothing from Ramsey. That would help at least paint a more detailed picture. 

Edited by interloper

5 minutes ago, interloper said:

I don't think anyone here is focused on his ERA. I agree that if his next 2 starts look good, you can basically throw out his other starts. But right now he it's looking a lot like Tate last year and nothing about any of his starts sparks confidence. 

It's a shame that we have nothing else to go on. No Means quote, nothing from Ramsey. That would help at least paint a more detailed picture. 

A lot can happen in two starts. Worst case scenario is that Means is essentially a rule 5 player while he gets things figured out at the MLB level. That would just mean we’d have to option one of Tate/Akin for him or DFA Ramirez. 

18 minutes ago, Matt Bennett said:

Sorry. I’m treating John Means rehab assignment like Spring Training, which it is for him. And I ignore those numbers. There’s a chance Means shows no ability to get minor league hitters out like Dillon Tate last year and management has to make a decision. His AAA Era will not be good. But if he followed up this performance with a couple good ones, I won’t really care that his overall ERA is 10.00+ on his rehab assignment. 

the reference to 2017-2018 Tillman = good pitcher that didn’t have it anymore. 

That's fine. To each their own.

Yes, I know who Chris Tillman is. You invoked the name, not me.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

That's fine. To each their own.

Yes, I know who Chris Tillman is. You invoked the name, not me.

I believe it was me that first mentioned Tillman, just to defuse that part of the disagreement. 

Means has a legit resume that shouldn't be thrown out.  Even it if was 2-5 years ago.  That matters if for no other reason than as a reasonable ceiling for expectations.  Odds are he won't outperform that (and yes there are exceptions).

His injury/recovery and recent performance matters too.  Obviously.  

I think it's fair to view his AAA as ST-like but with an injury-risk asterisks.  That broadens the range of outcomes (i.e. lowers the floor).

I wouldn't have him as plan A either.  I had questions with sustainability of his ERA last year.  But how many #2/3 upside SPs are on speed dial?  (And he'd be in the SP3-SP5 range for us.)  Pitching is thin and everyone is scrounging for arms.  A dice role (or 2 if you throw Bradish in this discussion) at upside is worth it.

Another few games will impact expectations. 

5 minutes ago, Frobby said:

No.  Not if he continues like this. 

I just realized you guys were debating that for the past 5 pages. my bad. 

was listening to the locked on orioles podcast and it kinda assumed he'd be back (maybe he's just assuming he'll get better in the next outing). 

57 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Don't know if anyone has said this yet, but if Means makes it back to Baltimore he may be better off in the bullpen, at least for awhile.  

The way he is pitching that's like throwing gas on a fire.

17 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

It was unwise because he didn’t help us for the playoffs due to his unavailability. We could have acquired a better starting pitcher instead of waiting for him. Flaherty was so bad he didn’t even pitch in the Texas series.

@wildcard mentioned 2019, that was what I was responding to. 2019 is 5 years ago according to the calendar that I have which says that it is the year 2024.

Maybe you misread other exchange between he and I? But there’s no pilling on here.

And who is this somebody other than Means or Flarerty that would help us in the playoffs. Also remember Bradish and Grod did not help us in the Playoffs. So I guess It was unwise to wait on those 2. Plus Bradish is hurt and uncertain going foward( a la Means) Yeah you piled on.

11 hours ago, Safelykept said:

And who is this somebody other than Means or Flarerty that would help us in the playoffs. Also remember Bradish and Grod did not help us in the Playoffs. So I guess It was unwise to wait on those 2. Plus Bradish is hurt and uncertain going foward( a la Means) Yeah you piled on.

Gee maybe for starters a useful pitcher like Flaherty’s teammate (Montgomery) who was available to acquire by trade instead. That’s just one example amongst several. 

At least Bradish and Grayson (who was a rookie) pitched. Flaherty was so (predictably) bad that we couldn’t even use him in the playoffs (which was the only reason he was acquired).