Cade Povich 2024

emmett16

I don't have time to look up major league comps, but after looking at his statcast last night, this is repertoire with movement. Remember, these are averages. He throws some better, some worse.

Pitch          MPH            HMOV  VMOV
Fastball       91.8              9           -13
Curveball    75.2             -9          -65 (He has some as high as 70)
Cutter         88.2             -2          -25
Sweeper     82.7             -12         -39 (most inconsistent pitch)
Change      84.8              14          -30          

Because he has not reached the big league yet, it does not give us movement date besides a pitch graph in a pitch breakdown, so these are generalized. 

I did noticed he really struggled to get his changeup over (18% zone) and only had a 48% in zone for his fastball. He used his cutter the second most of his pitches and got that over at 73% and his sweeper, although inconsistent by movement, he got over 71% (only threw 7 though).

Seems to me he's incorporating the cutter in more and the curveball has plus movement and plus plus at times for his velocity.

• Thanks 1

52 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes..whole career.  We are talking about how someone can perform at this level, correct?

Now, you provided something worth discussing.

Blake Snell has made an excellent pro career with poor str% numbers.

He is an exception to the rule for sure. (aJ Burnett is probably another guy)

Do you think Povich has the stuff and ability to be what Snell has been?

And btw, the numbers you are showing are for qualified players only.  That makes it a little misleading when you say 50th.  50th is actually at or near the bottom of qualified starters.  That isn’t good, just so you know. (We have already proven that math isn’t your strong point here)

Just a reminder that his strike % is what it is with a robot umpire, so it might be safe to assume it goes up a few % in the majors.

That said, 61% is the number for 1 game (I think), so I'd need to know more about his trends. Also, he may nibble more in the majors, lowering that %. So there are unknowns.

His profile is very intriguing for sure. I don't think your focus on strike % is in any way disqualifying, but it's obvious that command/control has been his developmental issue for years, so this all bears watching.

All in all, he's had a nice year so far and seems to be continuing his development well. He also fits excellently at Camden Yards as a LH, so I'm really bullish on this guy.

My take - Two guys striving to be the brightest light bulb in the room. Let  the game continue. 😃 Meanwhile a kid is trying to make it to the Major Leagues and making progress!!!!!!!!! Seems simple to me.

10 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Just a reminder that his strike % is what it is with a robot umpire, so it might be safe to assume it goes up a few % in the majors.

That said, 61% is the number for 1 game (I think), so I'd need to know more about his trends. Also, he may nibble more in the majors, lowering that %. So there are unknowns.

His profile is very intriguing for sure. I don't think your focus on strike % is in any way disqualifying, but it's obvious that command/control has been his developmental issue for years, so this all bears watching.

All in all, he's had a nice year so far and seems to be continuing his development well. He also fits excellently at Camden Yards as a LH, so I'm really bullish on this guy.

Well, you are also assuming that maybe pitches minor leaguers are swinging at, MLers would swing at. I think when you combine his history and the results we have seen, that is a lot to think he would come up here and be a league average strike thrower.

The question i have is simply, is his stuff good enough for that not to matter?

There are rare circumstances where that is the case. 

• Upvote 1

30 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I'll be honest, I did not see them. Though in my defense, Sports Guy weaves a tapestry of insults like Mozart puts together a piano concerto, so I may have missed them due to normalcy bias.

“Mozart puts together a piano concerto” is a phrase I never expected to see from you or anyone else on OH.  Bravo!  😁😂🤣

1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Yes..whole career.  We are talking about how someone can perform at this level, correct?

Now, you provided something worth discussing.

Blake Snell has made an excellent pro career with poor str% numbers.

He is an exception to the rule for sure. (aJ Burnett is probably another guy)

Do you think Povich has the stuff and ability to be what Snell has been?

And btw, the numbers you are showing are for qualified players only.  That makes it a little misleading when you say 50th.  50th is actually at or near the bottom of qualified starters.  That isn’t good, just so you know. (We have already proven that math isn’t your strong point here)

Dude, no one is saying Povich is going to be a top 30 pitcher in the game.  He can find success as a LHP in the bottom 20% of str%.  Again, LHP get leash...

8 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

Dude, no one is saying Povich is going to be a top 30 pitcher in the game.  He can find success as a LHP in the bottom 20% of str%.  Again, LHP get leash...

He can also find a ton of failure.  Most pitchers who don’t throw strikes struggle.

And I’m saying this talking about a starter, not a reliever. He absolutely doesn’t need to throw a ton of strikes as a reliever.  That has been proven.

But as a starter, he is very unlikely to be another Snell..IE a high pitch count, high walk pitcher that goes limited innings.  That’s a very hard combo to be good at.

35 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

“Mozart puts together a piano concerto” is a phrase I never expected to see from you or anyone else on OH.  Bravo!  😁😂🤣

I have my moments! :D

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, HuskerFan said:

"Give me recent data"

Okay. Here's the data, with a link. 

"Ummmm. That's qualified SP"

It includes the entire 2023 season.

"Not good enough"

😂 Billy Boxscore, an ongoing embarrassment. 

The idea that you can’t and don’t understand what I’m saying is not surprising.

You can go back to staring at your Povich poster that is on your ceiling