Not Irvin's Fault

8 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

I really don't get the Orioles' love for trying to turn first basemen into outfielders. If they had a shot at being outfielders, they'd have been outfielders in high school/college instead of first basemen. Trumbo, Mancini, now O'Hearn. It's getting ridiculous.

They didn't really convert Trumbo or O'Hearn, both those guys played a high portion of outfield at their previous MLB stops. 

But yes, there is no real reason why a team with our level OF depth (hello, 4 combined HR tonight from Stowers/Kjerstad/Norby) needs to be playing guys who should be 1b/DH in the outfield. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Give me 11 balls hit 100+ in every game and I'll take my chances w/ decent pitching.  With the right launch angle, 100 mph is a HR except to the deepest part of the ballpark.  Sounds like the O's just hit the ball right at people and into the ground some.

We would’ve had 9 homers tonight if we played in a middle silo or elevator shaft. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

I didn’t see the game but it does look like the O’s hit a number of balls hard but right at fielders.  They had outs on batted balls with an xBA of .840, .670, .670, .570, and .520.

• Upvote 1

48 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I didn’t see the game but it does look like the O’s hit a number of balls hard but right at fielders.  They had outs on batted balls with an xBA of .840, .670, .670, .570, and .520.

Real world, 30 ab, 3 hits, .100.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Hopefully O'Hearn's outfield innings are very limited. I'm fine with him being on the team for now but it seems like poor resource management to have him out in RF in a starting lineup.

Especially considering the options at Orioles disposal. It's one thing when there isn't much viable talent like sacrificing some defense when Trumbo led the league in home runs in 2016. (Not saying I advocated for it, but the outfield was lacking in quality depth.)

35 minutes ago, oldfan said:

Real world, 30 ab, 3 hits, .100.

Agreed, Frobby's numbers are made up baloney and your numbers are Real Life numbers from the good ole days, back when they counted everything on manly fingers and not these fancy phoneculators my grandkids always ignore me to stare at.

• Haha 1

7 hours ago, Spy Fox said:

Hopefully O'Hearn's outfield innings are very limited. I'm fine with him being on the team for now but it seems like poor resource management to have him out in RF in a starting lineup.

If only the Os had better depth.

Looks like the rain affected our approach at the plate. No walks. Not alot of deep counts. Marsh had a great spring and carried that into the season. He went 7 IP of 1 ER baseball. 

Just gotta chalk this one up as a learning experience. Don’t let the weather affect us so much. 

11 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The news played a little of Brandon Hyde's post game press conference. He said he  was not happy with the offensive approach. Didn't grind out at bats and too much soft contact early in the count.

But we need to be kind of a grind-out, next-guy-up type of team, and tonight, for me, we just had a lot of soft outs early in the count.

Tonight wasn’t our best night, for me, approach-wise,” Hyde said. “I thought we had a lot of early-in-the-count outs. … We didn’t really make Marsh work, I thought. Giving him credit, I thought he threw the ball well, really kept us off balance and threw a bunch of strikes.

Edited by Going Underground

19 minutes ago, Going Underground said:

The news played a little of Brandon Hyde's post game press conference. He said he  was not happy with the offensive approach. Didn't grind out at bats and too much soft contact early in the count.

I’m sorry what? It’s your team, Brandon!