Colton Cowser 2024

2 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I’ve been impressed at how he’s adjusted post ASB. Maybe he’s just getting more fastballs batting leadoff, but hey… still gotta hit them. 

20 homers. -1400 ROY betting favorite currently. He’s was +4000 in ST. 

Has he adjusted?  I mean, I’m sure he has done some minor things here and there but he’s still walking a lot, seeing a lot of pitches, using all fields, striking out a lot and hitting the ball hard.

He has done that all year…it’s just now well struck balls are turning into hits and that wasn’t happening in May and June.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, Sports Guy said:

Has he adjusted?  I mean, I’m sure he has done some minor things here and there but he’s still walking a lot, seeing a lot of pitches, using all fields, striking out a lot and hitting the ball hard.

He has done that all year…it’s just now well struck balls are turning into hits and that wasn’t happening in May and June.

Well it’s implied sometimes that having protection in the lineup is overrated. Maybe it’s not. He’s certainly hitting more fastballs out hitting in front of Santa/Gunnar. 

Long term, he’s probably a guy you want hitting 6th or 7th. Hopefully, his approach and contact improves as he matures. He is just a rookie. 

Also, he’s about to win me $4000 on this $100 bet. So I’m biased. 

Edited by sportsfan8703

Cowser needs to spend an hour a day this offseason taking batting practice but not swinging.  Just identifying whether something is a strike or ball.  I assume this is a thing.  Any balls that are hittable, he should indicate.  I know he's had a good rookie season, but it seems like his strike zone judgement is so poor and is holding him back from being a really good hitter.

3 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Cowser needs to spend an hour a day this offseason taking batting practice but not swinging.  Just identifying whether something is a strike or ball.  I assume this is a thing.  Any balls that are hittable, he should indicate.  I know he's had a good rookie season, but it seems like his strike zone judgement is so poor and is holding him back from being a really good hitter.

I feel it is less strike zone judgement more just inability to hit the change up.  If his strike zone judgement was terrible, he wouldn't walk as much as he does.  He just can't hit change ups (and breaking balls) with any kind of consistency.  He doesn't just strike out on them out of the zone, there is a lot of swing and miss on them in the zone.  If (hopefully, when) he (and Jackson) figure them out, they will be monsters at the plate.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mendoza Line said:

I feel it is less strike zone judgement more just inability to hit the change up.  If his strike zone judgement was terrible, he wouldn't walk as much as he does.  He just can't hit change ups (and breaking balls) with any kind of consistency.  He doesn't just strike out on them out of the zone, there is a lot of swing and miss on them in the zone.  If (hopefully, when) he (and Jackson) figure them out, they will be monsters at the plate.

I know when Gunnar first came up, he was terrible against change ups, and now if I remember right, he is one of the best hitters in the league against them.  So there is hope.

38 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Sorry to get negative on a day when we won 13-3, but man am I sick of watching Cowser fail to get runners home with a runner on 3B and less than two out.  He did that twice in the early innings, and he’s only gotten the runner home 8 times out of 30 this season (26.7%).   Of the 92 players who’ve had 25+ opportunities, Cowser is dead last in that category.  Major league average is 51.0%, and Cowser is basically at half that.  The O’s as a team were at 129 of 263 going into today, which is 5 successful at bats less than league average.   Cowser is -7 all by himself.  

He’s not the only one who failed in that situation today, but he’s the one who does it repeatedly.  His approach in those situations is really poor.

Seems to get over anxious….trying to do too much.

Edited by Sports Guy

5 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

In high school, teams talk about doing the job. In the pros, it’s like they stick to the “power at all cost” approach. It is frustrating to watch.

Often the most effective approach isn't the most enjoyable to watch.  Boxing comes to mind.

Everytime I see JH or Cowser hit with RISP I am struck by the old addage "veterans advance runners, rookies don't" but that's not always true. 

@Tony-OH alluded to a confidence problem in today's game thread and I have similar concerns.  Last year he was so tentative in the field-now he gobbles space-some of that is adjustment but a lot of it is confidence in his ability to go get the ball.  Although improving he certainly struggles with accuracy in cut offs and throws to the plate-is that confidence?  It doesn't appear to be fundamentals and he has a cannon. 

He's just a different batter in leverage situations, the difference between him and the MLB mean is so vast that it's not explanable by deviation.  He's a really likeable guy, and he's fun to watch-the passion is evident but his inability to advance runners is a real problem-he's a inning killer right now.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, SemperFi said:

Everytime I see JH or Cowser hit with RISP I am struck by the old addage "veterans advance runners, rookies don't" but that's not always true. 

@Tony-OH alluded to a confidence problem in today's game thread and I have similar concerns.  Last year he was so tentative in the field-now he gobbles space-some of that is adjustment but a lot of it is confidence in his ability to go get the ball.  Although improving he certainly struggles with accuracy in cut offs and throws to the plate-is that confidence?  It doesn't appear to be fundamentals and he has a cannon. 

He's just a different batter in leverage situations, the difference between him and the MLB mean is so vast that it's not explanable by deviation.  He's a really likeable guy, and he's fun to watch-the passion is evident but his inability to advance runners is a real problem-he's a inning killer right now.

It boils down to his ability to recognize off-speed pitches. Him hitting/not hitting in the clutch is nonsense. Total bullsh.. The league has him sussed, and it’s off-speed pitches until he figures it out. 

IMO this falls on the O’s coaching staff that it’s still an issue. I get they couldn’t send him to Norfolk again, cuz they’re not going to give you that diet of breaking/off-speed junk. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/30/2024 at 7:27 AM, Sports Guy said:

I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle. You are right, he has had some hard-hit balls now finding holes but that is jus the law of averages finally catching up for him. I feel pretty confident he has adjusted some minor things just like all batters do throughout the season. He is a rookie and is in the running for ROY. That is a pretty good showing IMO. I don't think he is the type of talent that Gunnar or Jackson are but I think he is a lunch pail kind of guy that you want surrounding those types of talents. He will bring you some pop with the bat and be a plus defensively. I like the odds of this kid continuing to grow as he gets more and more experience. Nothing is a given and next year will be a telling one for Colton Cowser's career but he has earned the opportunity to see it played out as a starter next year IMO. See how it goes from there. 

Edited by SteveO

12 hours ago, Frobby said:

Sorry to get negative on a day when we won 13-3, but man am I sick of watching Cowser fail to get runners home with a runner on 3B and less than two out.  He did that twice in the early innings, and he’s only gotten the runner home 8 times out of 30 this season (26.7%).   Of the 92 players who’ve had 25+ opportunities, Cowser is dead last in that category.  Major league average is 51.0%, and Cowser is basically at half that.  The O’s as a team were at 129 of 263 going into today, which is 5 successful at bats less than league average.   Cowser is -7 all by himself.  

He’s not the only one who failed in that situation today, but he’s the one who does it repeatedly.  His approach in those situations is really poor.

That was an aggravating couple innings. 
1st inning, runners 2nd and 3rd, no outs, down a run, Santander and Cowser strike out, and Mullins does a Mullins (infield fly).
3rd inning, runners 1st and 3rd, no outs, tied at 2, and Cowser and Mullins both go down flailing. Fortunately Slater bailed them out with a 2-out double. 

Those situations often cost you the game, so they're very fortunate it didn't yesterday.