Brandon Hyde 2024

8 minutes ago, phxosfan said:

I was thinking of this on Friday as well. Elias needs to make a move before the Yankees do. Five months of a very shaky back end of the bullpen would be very detrimental to my health!

Not many teams are ready to start flipping assets in April. Even the “bad” teams are still figuring out what they’ve got.

1 hour ago, Jagwar said:

Amazing how the pitchforks come out after a bad loss

Look at the posters.  It’s a who’s who list of the absolute  worst.

Edited by RZNJ
  • Upvote 2

30 minutes ago, FlipTheBird said:

Not many teams are ready to start flipping assets in April. Even the “bad” teams are still figuring out what they’ve got.

That’s why I wanted Elias to do more before the season we might be waiting until mid June for a good reliever to become available. 

Good news is if Bradish and Means return to the rotation then Irvin and Suarez can help in the bullpen. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s
  • Upvote 1

The same problem I had with Hyde's bullpen management last year is the same one I have this year. 

After pitching today, Kimbrel (36), Coulombe (34), and Akin are all on pace to appear in 78 games. Cano and Webb are on pace for 84 games. 

You just can't keep constantly running these guys out there this much. They are going to either break (Bautista/Kimbrel) or become ineffective with overuse.

He has to start allowing guys to cover more than one inning to stop worrying so much about every matchup. I'm sure in a computer printout it makes sense to get a little platoon advantage, but pitchers are just not built to pitch this often now that everyone is pitching max effort so much.

He got away with Bautista pitching so much early on last year, including multiple innings in extra inning games, but he eventually imploded. 

36-year old Kimbrel didn't make it to May under Hyde. Hyde is the 1980's Billy Martin, except instead of riding his starter's until they implode, he's riding his bullpen arms. 

• Upvote 1

23 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The same problem I had with Hyde's bullpen management last year is the same one I have this year. 

After pitching today, Kimbrel (36), Coulombe (34), and Akin are all on pace to appear in 78 games. Cano and Webb are on pace for 84 games. 

You just can't keep constantly running these guys out there this much. They are going to either break (Bautista/Kimbrel) or become ineffective with overuse.

He has to start allowing guys to cover more than one inning to stop worrying so much about every matchup. I'm sure in a computer printout it makes sense to get a little platoon advantage, but pitchers are just not built to pitch this often now that everyone is pitching max effort so much.

He got away with Bautista pitching so much early on last year, including multiple innings in extra inning games, but he eventually imploded. 

36-year old Kimbrel didn't make it to May under Hyde. Hyde is the 1980's Billy Martin, except instead of riding his starter's until they implode, he's riding his bullpen arms. 

100% Tony.   BP management wins and loses many championships and managerial staying power.  Time to challenge the starters to get through 7 innings.  BP should be pitching no more than 2-2 2/3 innings most nights.   This current BP group is a bunch of reclamation projects and Kimbrel.  No big arms or high velocity types.  Bautista such a huge loss with few to no options in minors.   

• Upvote 1

28 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The other part missing from this analysis is it worked better in the past couple of years when you had pitchers with options.   It allowed for refreshing the relief corps.  This team basically has no one with options.  

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Jagwar said:

Amazing how the pitchforks come out after a bad loss

Objectively, this was one of the worst, if not the worst, three-game series of the last two years. Please find another series where the Orioles were ahead in the ninth-inning of all three games and lost two of three. People have gotten used to winning, it's natural that they are angry and concerned.

43 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

They have played well and have had a bunch of high leverage games lately. 

They will go thru stretches where they play in wider margins. It will even things out. 

42 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

I agree. It’s tough because the team has been playing well and has constantly been ahead or “in it” in the later innings, so naturally you’re going to use your top end guys. But you can’t run them into the ground. He clearly doesn’t trust Ramirez and Baumann at all (and Tate only slightly more) but he’s going to have to use them in close games until the bullpen is upgraded through the guys coming back and/or Elias making a move.

5 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

I agree. It’s tough because the team has been playing well and has constantly been ahead or “in it” in the later innings, so naturally you’re going to use your top end guys. But you can’t run them into the ground. He clearly doesn’t trust Ramirez and Baumann at all (and Tate only slightly more) but he’s going to have to use them in close games until the bullpen is upgraded through the guys coming back and/or Elias making a move.

Also have to keep in mind they have played 27 games with 5 off days already. Those off days don’t count as games obviously but do count as rest for the pen arms. 

1 hour ago, Tony-OH said:

Even Kevin Brown acknowledged during today's telecast that it's not sustainable to use Cano and others in more than 50% of the games, which is what they are currently doing.

55 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

Objectively, this was one of the worst, if not the worst, three-game series of the last two years. Please find another series where the Orioles were ahead in the ninth-inning of all three games and lost two of three. People have gotten used to winning, it's natural that they are angry and concerned.

The Pittsburgh series wasn't much better. Lost in extra innings in one of the games, and Cano blew a save in the bottom of the 9th in the rubber game.

2 hours ago, Tony-OH said:

This.   All of this.