Brandon Hyde 2024

Just now, MDK02 said:

It's the same thing as last year's playoffs though.

Last season the team never went into a hitting slump like this one.  The pitching got rocked in the postseason in Games 2 and 3.  Pitching was certainly not a problem today.

This isn't on Hyde - it's on the construct of the team and their team wide approch to hitting. Hyde may be the fall guy sometime but he can't take at bats for these guys. I mean we had over 100 pages last year bemoaning Frazier yet I was wishing we had him today to show these guys how it's done. And, it wasn't just a problem today yet today was glaring. 

12 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The game thread didn't like pitching to Witt, but I don't see how you can IBB a guy in a tie game. You have to believe your offense can score a run but you don't wabut then nt to create a situation where you have to score 3 or 4.

I agree with you on McCann in the 5th.  If you aren't going to pinch hit then try a squeeze play.

Not pinch running for O'Hearn didn't make sense at first but we would have had no one left to play 1B and we needed Holliday to come in for defense if Kjerstad got on

If that's what Hyde actually thought, then he definitely should be fired, because that's absolutely the wrong reason to fail to pinch run for O'Hearn with Holliday.

In ANY scenario like the one today - especially in the playoffs with the season on the line - the tying run represents the most important thing to the team. NOTHING else matters in terms of trying to win the game. 100% of the time, every time, you need to worry about scoring the tying run at all costs, then worry about defensive alignment later.

The fact Hyde never pinch ran for O'Hearn with Holliday is yet another in a laundry list of dozens of reasons and another example in a list of a multitude of terrible managerial decisions that he's made that show he's way out of his depth as major league manager.

Every team needs to put their fastest runner on first, both to increase the team's chances of scoring on a double or an error in the field, but also to better stay out of double plays. There was no reason to keep the much slower O'Hearn in the game. If he kept him in the game because he was worried about losing his last defensive first baseman in a scenario that never happens if the run O'Hearn represents doesn't score - all while simultaneously DECREASING the chances of scoring that crucial run because he willingly kept a slow runner on first - then Hyde needs to be fired immediately for gross incompetence.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, phxosfan said:

If Adley is so bad at controlling the running game that he isn't the starting catcher and he hit .207 post ASB, why is he even in the game at all? McCann has been a much better catcher and hitter than Adley post ASB.

If Basallo is the real deal, there’s no need for Adley anymore.   
How far away is he?   Adley is not adding  any value as a below average defensive player 

2 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

How far away is he?   Adley is not adding  any value as a below average defensive player 

Can we at least see how Adley looks after the offseason before declaring his career over?

19 minutes ago, phxosfan said:

If Adley is so bad at controlling the running game that he isn't the starting catcher and he hit .207 post ASB, why is he even in the game at all? McCann has been a much better catcher and hitter than Adley post ASB.

this is the big mistake Hyde made.

The DH is supposed to be your best hitter. The 5th spot in the lineup is supposed to be one of your best hitters. Adley should not start if he is not catching. he isn't right right now. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Too Tall said:

This isn't on Hyde - it's on the construct of the team and their team wide approch to hitting. Hyde may be the fall guy sometime but he can't take at bats for these guys. I mean we had over 100 pages last year bemoaning Frazier yet I was wishing we had him today to show these guys how it's done. And, it wasn't just a problem today yet today was glaring. 

Adam Frazier was good, actually.

31 minutes ago, HowAboutThat said:

You have to have a catcher. Adley isn’t hitting. MCann although he’s been much better lately, and is a better defensive catcher.

so if Wen is going to catch and the other one is going to DH, you might as well have the better catcher behind the plate.

Adley has rated better than McCann in framing, throwing, and blocking this year.  It’s possible McCann is better at pitch calling and it seems to be the case that Burnes prefers throwing to him.

I would have started Adley at catcher and put Kjerstad at DH. 

• Upvote 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Wavetrapper said:

Basallo has a LONG WAY to go!

However, no matter how you slice it, Adley has had a subpar year. And he has put in to jeopardy whether or not we see him as a long term/extension worthy player.

Next season will be HUGE for him to get better as a player.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

Basallo has a LONG WAY to go!

However, no matter how you slice it, Adley has had a subpar year. And he has put in to jeopardy whether or not we see him as a long term/extension worthy player.

Next season will be HUGE for him to get better as a player.

I figured he had at least a year.  Hopefully they don’t rush him.  That hasn’t worked out too well.   Maybe it will time out well 

34 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

The game thread didn't like pitching to Witt, but I don't see how you can IBB a guy in a tie game. You have to believe your offense can score a run but you don't wabut then nt to create a situation where you have to score 3 or 4.

I agree with you on McCann in the 5th.  If you aren't going to pinch hit then try a squeeze play.

Not pinch running for O'Hearn didn't make sense at first but we would have had no one left to play 1B and we needed Holliday to come in for defense if Kjerstad got on

I thought that at first, but you can still PR Holliday, then move Kjerstad to RF and Santander to 1st (Westburg at 3B). Sure it’s not a great defensive lineup, but it gives you a chance.

I was listening on radio and not familiar with Erceg’s delivery, but a steal of 2nd could have been the ticket, hard to get 2 hits against him.