Brandon Hyde 2024

The bottom line is, with the new extra inning rules, you're not going to win many games as the visiting team scoring one run unless you have Felix Bautista on your roster. They had the top of order against the Pirates' fifth best reliever and went ground out, sac fly, K, part of a 0-for-16 day from the first four hitters. We shouldn't even be talking about the bullpen.

• Upvote 2

Coloumbe and Cano should’ve started innings over Baumann and Heasley. Play to win the game at hand and adjust for tomorrow. 

Baker could’ve gotten a call up. He’s been through some battles with us. Same with Vespi. The demotion might’ve just come at the expense of Tate though because he has options. 

Only Tate, Heasley, and Akin, have options and are realistic to go down. Cano has one but he ain’t going anywhere. 

With Means making his 2nd rehab start that means we have 6 SP options. If that’s the case then McDermott needs to be an option for the bullpen as needed. 

This game just highlighted that we’re essentially back to where we were before the Fuji trade. We need a high leverage reliever other than Baumann. 

8 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Coloumbe and Cano should’ve started innings over Baumann and Heasley. Play to win the game at hand and adjust for tomorrow. 

Baker could’ve gotten a call up. He’s been through some battles with us. Same with Vespi. The demotion might’ve just come at the expense of Tate though because he has options. 

Only Tate, Heasley, and Akin, have options and are realistic to go down. Cano has one but he ain’t going anywhere. 

With Means making his 2nd rehab start that means we have 6 SP options. If that’s the case then McDermott needs to be an option for the bullpen as needed. 

This game just highlighted that we’re essentially back to where we were before the Fuji trade. We need a high leverage reliever other than Baumann. 

Are you saying Baumann is a high leverage RP? He’s not even a ML RP. And I hope that’s not real advocacy for Baker. Everyone knew all off-season that Elias needed to acquire another RP. There’s no reason for Webb or Baumann to be on the ML roster without a few injuries. Considering what Elias already knew about Bradish and Means, it’s foolish to not pursue another RP. 

16 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Are you saying Baumann is a high leverage RP? He’s not even a ML RP. And I hope that’s not real advocacy for Baker. Everyone knew all off-season that Elias needed to acquire another RP. There’s no reason for Webb or Baumann to be on the ML roster without a few injuries. Considering what Elias already knew about Bradish and Means, it’s foolish to not pursue another RP. 

Meanwhile, our bullpen has a 1.95 ERA, 5th in MLB.  Elias is an idiot.  

• Upvote 1
  • Haha 2

43 minutes ago, waroriole said:

Webb is solid. Baumann not so much.

• Upvote 1

The Pirates manager, Shelton, has trained his team well.  The slide at third that the Orioles challenged he has obviously told his guys is legit as long as you can reach the bag, and he ended up correct.  If you don't buy that, then look at this approach into 2nd last year which is very similar to what Tellez did today in not getting down to make Gunnar's throw easier.  Shelton seems to really know the rules.  

https://baseballrulesacademy.com/runner-does-not-slide-heading-to-second-in-force-double-play-situation/

There’s a saying in Chinese, “even the blind squirrel finds the nut.”

The opposite is also true; the squirrel with two good eyes sometimes misses the nut.

I am no fan of Hyde’s pitching use, and yesterday was just another example, But I’m not really in a position to criticize, because he knows more than I do.

But we are 5-4, one game better than last year, And it is useless to argue what our record would be if Hyde had done what (insert random OH name here) insists was the right thing to do.

” Once more into the breach, dear friends!”

And repeat, 152 more times.

1 hour ago, Malike said:

Scoring 3.3 runs per game after the first two games when we all thought they were the second coming of the '27 Yankees is not on Hyde. Almost no one is hitting.

Just Mountcastle and Adley, basically. 

As I write this Kimbrel has gotten two outs in the ninth, so he's pitching well.  But I think it was a terrible decision by Hyde to bring him in to the 9th.  Cano is fresh and has only faced one hitter.  He should be ok for the 9th against the bottom of Boston's order.  More importantly, who is going to pitch the 10th?  You've already used up Cano, Coulombe and Webb.  I doubt Hyde wants to use Kimbrel for two innings.  So even if the O's get through the 9th and scratch out a run in the 10th, you don't have one of your best guys to get the save.  

1 minute ago, Three Run Homer said:

As I write this Kimbrel has gotten two outs in the ninth, so he's pitching well.  But I think it was a terrible decision by Hyde to bring him in to the 9th.  Cano is fresh and has only faced one hitter.  He should be ok for the 9th against the bottom of Boston's order.  More importantly, who is going to pitch the 10th?  You've already used up Cano, Coulombe and Webb.  I doubt Hyde wants to use Kimbrel for two innings.  So even if the O's get through the 9th and scratch out a run in the 10th, you don't have one of your best guys to get the save.  

I was thinking the same thing. He will probably use Baumann