Creed Willems 2024

yark14

8 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

Tony just said he's still a prospect. I'm sure whatever draft position he would fall to would be highly dependent on how he actually performed in college. Maybe he would still be uncompetitive against lefties, or maybe he would have faced some guys that were easy to barrel.

It really doesn't matter. I liked the post about him being a 1 level a year guy. It doesn't have to be precisely correct to get the point across. Crede Willems is not an elite prospect, but he's a guy who could continue to develop and have a ML career if his development goes well. You love to have that in this org, particularly at catcher and on a timeline at least a year+ behind Basallo.

Hopefully he just keeps putting in the work. 

I’m not even sure what you’re disagreeing with in my post.

• 2 months later...
4 hours ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Oh wow. Flying under the radar. I hate to say it, but I think we underrate him a bit because his best value to us is probably trade bait. 

A 21 year old power-hitting catcher in Double A would be a top ten prospect in most systems.  He seems like a guy who should solidly be in our top 20. There is a high floor here given that he plays catcher, along with some upside. 

• Upvote 1

Great K% progress in 2024.  But the IFFB rate is consistently high.  Maybe that's the average bat path they are looking for against higher level pitching?  Maybe he's being forced up in the AA void and lower level skills?  I tend to think the latter.  

Here is Aberdeen last 4 years - Creed's .217 ISO 2nd place between Mayo and Gunnar.    Creed with the best wRC+ of those 3 guys during their Ironbirds stints.   

Edit - it looks like the Split Seasons feature doesn't convey well on the link.

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders/minor-league?pos=all&level=0&lg=14&stats=bat&qual=250&type=1&team=48&season=2021&seasonEnd=2024&org=&ind=0&splitTeam=true&players=&sort=13,1

Edited by Just Regular

It will be interesting to see how Willems does in AA. 

He's been young for his league and has made some nice adjustments offensively with cutting down the strike outs and adding a little more game pop. 

I feel like I always get back looks at him though. He definitely has issues with left on left breaking balls, but a lot of young hitters do. I may be under valuing him a bit, but his throwing has really dropped off this season and his defensive game overall has been underwhelming from my looks.

His height makes him an underwhelming choice to play 1B, but he does ok over there and definitely has no issue with effort. Catcher's are typically slow but he seems really, really slow. His body type is going to be something he has to watch because it will eventually hurt his flexibility and movement behind the plate.

I try to remember that this would have been his Junior draft year, so would be happy with a draftee that was already in AA? 

Let's see how he does. If he can hold his own against AA pitching his stock could rise. I'll also get better video looks of him in AA.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, emmett16 said:

Quick bat. Not sure if it's the camera, uniform or what, but he's looking more fit and athletic.  The swing reminds me of someone, but I can't quite put my finger on it. 

Kind of looks like Jackson Holliday’s.

Those were two laser home runs and the second one was a no doubter as the RF did not even move. That second one 105 EV and 395 FT to RF and that may be off honestly. 

That was a 1st pitch curveball on the second one. The power is certainly not in question and the bat is certainly quick.