Ryan O’Hearn 2024

Frobby

2 hours ago, interloper said:

If I have one qualm it's that he's missed a play each (that I can remember) at 1B and RF that I think Mounty and Santander would have made. 

He has no business being in the OF. That one is on Hyde.

defensive blunders at first are always annoying, but you can forgive him if it doesn’t happen too often, especially if he keeps hitting well.

The problem is that mayo is also destined for first base, so what are you going to do?

2 hours ago, RZNJ said:

The missed play in the of was rated a potential 5-star catch by Statcast.   O’Hearn got a good jump, took a good route, is faster than Santander, had his glove hand on the best side for that catch, but looked awkward going up for it.   It’s very doubtful Santander makes that play.

Until that play actually shows up on his Statcast page, I’m not going to believe Statcast rated it a 5-star catch opportunity.  You are assuming that the one 5-star opportunity credited to him was that specific play, but we don’t know that.  And I’m highly skeptical that it was.   

3 minutes ago, 24fps said:

I guess O'Hearn didn't get the memo that he was only only on the team to keep a spot warm.  He keeps acting like a solid middle-of-the-order ML ballplayer.

Yeah, the O’Hearn O-hate is going to have to take a few more days off.

If Santander walks in FA, it might be worth looking into a team friendly extension for Ohearn. I'd let the year play out a bit before offering it and see what evaluations on Ohearn say. But for next year, even if Mountcastle remains as the 1B, Ohearn can get enough ABs between DH, 1B, RF, and PH to justify a 3 year 50 Mil extension.  You'd have to believe enough in Ohearn to trade a Mayo, Kjerstad, or Basallo though, as those guys are going to demand DH, 1B, and/or RF ABs soon enough. We do need pitching, so someone will have to go at some point in a trade. More players performing, vets or rookies,  only gives Elias more options for potential trades.

4 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

If Santander walks in FA, it might be worth looking into a team friendly extension for Ohearn. I'd let the year play out a bit before offering it and see what evaluations on Ohearn say. But for next year, even if Mountcastle remains as the 1B, Ohearn can get enough ABs between DH, 1B, RF, and PH to justify a 3 year 50 Mil extension.  You'd have to believe enough in Ohearn to trade a Mayo, Kjerstad, or Basallo though, as those guys are going to demand DH, 1B, and/or RF ABs soon enough. We do need pitching, so someone will have to go at some point in a trade. More players performing, vets or rookies,  only gives Elias more options for potential trades.

O's already have an option on O'Hearn for next year.  With all the talent coming up now,  $50 mill is too much to lock up on O'Hearn, imo.

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Every time I watch him hit, I'm like... how were you this bad for so many years? 

It’s amazing. Congrats to the Orioles on seeing his potential, and congrats to O’Hearn for making the adjustments necessary to improve.  

As a reminder, the O’s have an option on O’Hearn for 2025 at $7.5 mm.  

6 minutes ago, interloper said:

Every time I watch him hit, I'm like... how were you this bad for so many years? 

Well, lack of opportunity is part of it.

He actually has pretty much always had good hard hit numbers.

My guess is that he has been one of those guys where his team focused on what he couldn’t do vs focusing on what he could do.