Edgar Portes 2024

Frobby

Edgar Portes has been piggybacking with Cameron Weston for Aberdeen and doing an excellent job.  Today he threw four innings and allowed 1 run on a solo homer, the only hit he allowed, along with 1 walk against 5 strikeouts.  On the year, the 21-year old Portes has a 1.64 ERA and 0.91 WHIP in 11 innings.   

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Portes had a spectacular game today, five shutout innings with no hits or walks, six strikeouts.  Two runners reached base, one on an error, one on a HBP.  He’s carrying a 2.35 ERA for Aberdeen and really has only had one bad outing in eight appearances.  

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)

Six more shutout innings for Portes, on 2 hits, 2 walks and 6 strikeouts.  Only 66 pitches in 6 innings, 43 for strikes.  Now at 1.96 ERA, 0.95 WHIP, 10.6 K/9, 3.1 K/BB.   He hasn’t allowed a run in May, in 17.2 IP over four outings.  At age 21, he’s certainly bucking for a midseason promotion to Bowie.  

Edited by Frobby

Portes only allowed 1 run the entire month of May. 2.04 ERA this year, 1.084 WHIP, 10.7 K/9.  They haven’t really taken the reins off him, as he’s never exceeded 66 pitches.  But he’s an interesting one to follow.  Still only 21 at Aberdeen.  

For those (like me) wondering how the stuff relates to these results, here's Tony's write-up from the offseason. I'd wager from the results that some of his stuff has improved. Here's hoping he also got a tick or two more on the fastball and improved feel for the secondaries. 

47. Edgar Portes – RHP (A-): This 6-foot-2 right-hander repeated Delmarva with solid improvements including increasing his strikeout percentage, lowering his walk percentage, and improving the quality of his slider. His fastball sits 92-93 and tops around 94. His slider is his best pitch, but it's still in inconsistent offering though he can get swings and misses on the pitch. He has a change and was working on a curveball at times, but he doesn't have much feel for either. His command still has a long way to go and he needs to improve the change up to have a better chance to defend himself against lefties who put up a .788 OPS against him.

I was listening to a podcast today and the hosts stated that Portes and Chace will be eligible for the Rule 5 draft this year.  I guess that’s because they were signed before the COVID season?  They’ve only played 4 years in our system including this one, and normally international guys get 5 years, but I guess COVID ate the first one.  That blows.  

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Frobby said:

I was listening to a podcast today and the hosts stated that Portes and Chace will be eligible for the Rule 5 draft this year.  I guess that’s because they were signed before the COVID season?  They’ve only played 4 years in our system including this one, and normally international guys get 5 years, but I guess COVID ate the first one.  That blows.  

Are you thinking both get picked up by other clubs?

41 minutes ago, Yossarian said:

Are you thinking both get picked up by other clubs?

Not necessarily.   They're both still in A+, a long way from the majors.   But it makes me nervous.   

On 6/4/2024 at 6:17 PM, Frobby said:

Not necessarily.   They're both still in A+, a long way from the majors.   But it makes me nervous.   

Sure, a team like Oakland could stash them like we did Santander.