Bradish, Means, and Wells

RZNJ

Bradish went 3 strong innings at Bowie and starts at Norfolk tomorrow.   He actually seems closer to coming back than Means.  Wells sounds like he’ll be back as soon as his IL stint is up.   With the current talk of the bullpen implosion let’s look at some possibilities.

1.  All 3 come back.

Rotation - Burnes/GRod/Bradish/Kremer/Means  

Bullpen - Kimbrel/Cano/Coulombe/Wells/Suarez/Akin/????/Irvin

2. Bradish and Wells come back.  Means needs more time.

Rotation - Burnes/GRod/Bradish/Kremer/Wells

Bullpen - Kimbrel/Cano/Coulombe/Suarez/Akin/????/????/Irvin

Tate and Akin, I believe, each has an option remaining and can be sent down.  Webb, Baumann, and Ramirez do not.   This puts Tate and Akin at risk unless they are clearly better bullpen options than the others.  Aiken’s advantage is being lefty.  Baumann and Ramirez are “stuff” guys.  The feeling might be that they have more upside than Webb, Akin, and Tate.

How do you see this playing out?

I think Wells is in the bullpen unless absolutely needed as a SP. So if he’s the only one coming back, I can see him in the rotation. 

As far as the optionable guys, I don’t really care. Akin and Tate have options and have been bad. Sure send them down. But Baumann is not worth keeping up just because he has options. If Tate or Akin surpass him, I have no problem with a DFA for Baumann. 

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Means isn’t coming back

Ever?  Pretty pessimistic take.   Admittedly he’s not looking ready for April 30.   Hyde said he looked okay stuff-wise, just bad command.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Bradish went 3 strong innings at Bowie and starts at Norfolk tomorrow.   He actually seems closer to coming back than Means.  Wells sounds like he’ll be back as soon as his IL stint is up.   With the current talk of the bullpen implosion let’s look at some possibilities.

1.  All 3 come back.

Rotation - Burnes/GRod/Bradish/Kremer/Means  

Bullpen - Kimbrel/Cano/Coulombe/Wells/Suarez/Akin/????/Irvin

2. Bradish and Wells come back.  Means needs more time.

Rotation - Burnes/GRod/Bradish/Kremer/Wells

Bullpen - Kimbrel/Cano/Coulombe/Suarez/Akin/????/????/Irvin

Tate and Akin, I believe, each has an option remaining and can be sent down.  Webb, Baumann, and Ramirez do not.   This puts Tate and Akin at risk unless they are clearly better bullpen options than the others.  Aiken’s advantage is being lefty.  Baumann and Ramirez are “stuff” guys.  The feeling might be that they have more upside than Webb, Akin, and Tate.

How do you see this playing out?

First of all, until Suarez proves that he cannot be an effective starter, it would be foolish to insert Means (who is getting lit up regularly) in his place. 

Second, whenever Bradish is healthy, he goes back into the rotation. Right now we have a great 1/2 punch at the top of the rotation, an inconsistent number 5 starter (Kremer) and an unknown in Suarez.

At this point Wells is not a starter. I hope that he can be an effective BP arm. But with his penchant to give up the long all with that really bad cutter.

Right now, we have 5 mediocre to below average BP arms, so we have plenty of room for an effective arm beyond Coulombe, Cano, Kimbrell. 

You forgot Cionel Perez. Soon as he comes off the 15 day IL he will be jn the bullpen.

I think Tate is the one being looked at to get optioned because his analytical metrics have not been that great since he's returned from his injury.

Rotation:

Burnes, Rodriguez, Bradish, Means/Irvin, Kremer. 

Bullpen:

Kimbrel, Cano, Coulombe, Perez, Wells, Webb and then after that you're throwing darts to pick. Give Akin more chances to redeem himself after last night's meltdown. And if he doesn't, then option him. 

Baumman looks like hit or miss for a short term filler. Akin looks like he will have a couple great games and then have an absolutely terrible melt down of a game. Tate looks like he knows how to pitch but his body isn't giving him the talent he needs to effectively do so at a high level. Ramirez looks like a guy you can use in short bursts to be effective but he gets wild after that.

I think Vespi deserves to be up and help the bullpen. He's earned his due and has helped at times before.

Overall, half our bullpen is unreliable so it would behoove us to trade for better bullpen talent.

9 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

You forgot Cionel Perez. Soon as he comes off the 15 day IL he will be jn the bullpen.

I think Tate is the one being looked at to get optioned because his analytical metrics have not been that great since he's returned from his injury.

Rotation:

Burnes, Rodriguez, Bradish, Means/Irvin, Kremer. 

Bullpen:

Kimbrel, Cano, Coulombe, Perez, Wells, Webb and then after that you're throwing darts to pick. Give Akin more chances to redeem himself after last night's meltdown. And if he doesn't, then option him. 

Baumman looks like hit or miss for a short term filler. Akin looks like he will have a couple great games and then have an absolutely terrible melt down of a game. Tate looks like he knows how to pitch but his body isn't giving him the talent he needs to effectively do so at a high level. Ramirez looks like a guy you can use in short bursts to be effective but he gets wild after that.

I think Vespi deserves to be up and help the bullpen. He's earned his due and has helped at times before.

Overall, half our bullpen is unreliable so it would behoove us to trade for better bullpen talent.

There is no way Irvin or Means (especially given hoe ineffective he has been against AAA hitters) is ahead of Kremer.

Right now in his one start I liked what I saw from Suarez and have more optimism about him than Means or Irvin.

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

There is no way Irvin or Means (especially given hoe ineffective he has been against AAA hitters) is ahead of Kremer.

Right now in his one start I liked what I saw from Suarez and have more optimism about him than Means or Irvin.

Are you prejudice against left handers??? (Just kidding 😂 LOL)