The World Baseball Classic Thread

PrivateO

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This was probably the most exciting and important game B-Rob has ever been a part of

I know... as I was watching him dive in the pile and hug whatever teammate he could find I only thought thank God he just signed a long term contract!

B-Rob was totally clutch in that game as he definitely understood the importance. Hopefully he carries that back home for the future.

Yu Darvish is throwing for Japan. He gave up 3 runs on 3 hits in the top of the first, but this kid 'stuff' is amazing.

Every pitch he throws has substantial movement even when he throws hard. Not ony substantial, but varied. It looks like he is throwing a fastball that rides in on a right handed hitter, a Rivera-esqe cutter, some other form of a cutter with more movement, a sharp slider, and a overhand curve. Plus the fastball was overpowering hitters when he got it over the plate. His control was erratic, but with that much movement, I'm not surprised.

This should be a fun game to watch. Korea is all pumped up to beat Japan and it looks like the entire Korean population of SoCal showed up at the game.

That was a fun game. Actually, the team has played pretty hard the entire tourney, it was nice to see some clutch hits fall for them here. Most folks wrote them off after the Puerto Rico mercy rule game and now they have moved on to the semis.

I still think Korea and Japan are the teams to beat, but it is cool to see the US have a shot in the last round.

-Don

Great game. Hopefully they can get a few warm bodies for the next round. They're the only team that's jealous of the Orioles' bench.

Would be sweet if they replaced Chipper with Longoria and DH Evan :002_sdrool:. Only thing I fear about a bench replenishment though is without Jeter DH'ing Davey is going to screw around with the notion of sitting Rollins. :(

I can't be the only one who wants USA to lose.

I just can't.

I think Guthrie needs to be back where he belongs, pitching on a regular basis and not playing in this joke of a tournament.

Same with our dudes on the Venezuela team.

On that note, go Cuba!

Stick it to these capitalistic swine!

I can't be the only one who wants USA to lose.

I just can't.

I think Guthrie needs to be back where he belongs, pitching on a regular basis and not playing in this joke of a tournament.

Same with our dudes on the Venezuela team.

On that note, go Cuba!

Stick it to these capitalistic swine!

The US team sure didn't celebrate their win as if the tournament was a "joke".

The US team sure didn't celebrate their win as if the tournament was a "joke".

True enough.

I've watched some really, really good baseball over the course of the tournament so far. The U.S. hasn't always been at their best, maybe until tonight.

I love the game and really enjoy the way so many other countries have adopted our game and pushed it to a level where a U.S. team has to work to get into the final four of ANY international tournament.

Every other team out there is taking it seriously, it was kind of nice to see how happy the US team was to advance.

I've heard some interesting alternatives as to when and where this could be played that wouldn't impact the MLB regular season, but we're talking about a sport that runs from the middle of February to the end of October, start of November in some cases.

Until then, I like the heart of this particular US team, even if they don't have the horses to pull off a championship. They may yet prove me wrong, which would be fine. And dandy.

-Don

And the Oopsie of the day goes to.... *drum roll*

Brian Roberts for his steal of 2nd base:

"I was told afterwards that I was given the hold sign," Roberts sheepishly said. "I guess it (steal) was more difficult than I thought. To tell you the truth I got here yesterday and I still don't know the signs. Really, I thought that was the perfect time to steal the base. That's what I do. That's my game...Halfway to second, I panicked. I really thought I was out," he said.

:D

Archived