MLBN talking Os young hitters

Sports Guy

1 hour ago, Yossarian said:

Interesting to hear outsiders now talking about the guys we have been talking about and anticipating for several years. 

The O's didn't use their own strategy when drafting Bradfield.  They went more for speed and defense that that elite college bat. 

Got to trust Elias based on the results. However, Bradfield might be his first draft flop. Based on Bradfield quotes from Spring Training, not adapting to club suggestions (maybe I misread) and the early results. For me, I don’t see the projections that we saw in Cowser or Westburg who were underrated. 

1 minute ago, Chaka Garcia said:

Got to trust Elias based on the results. However, Bradfield might be his first draft flop. Based on Bradfield quotes from Spring Training, not adapting to club suggestions (maybe I misread) and the early results. For me, I don’t see the projections that we saw in Cowser or Westburg who were underrated. 

I think that it's way too early to make this proclamation. However, if you truly out in front of things, and he does flop, my response would be "that's okay. It happens. You are not going to bat 1.000."

3 minutes ago, interloper said:

I like the Todd Helton comp for Kjerstad in the video. Totally can see that. (Not saying Heston is a HOFer haha)

I'm here for that ride!  Especially if he's down the list of our best hitters!

I remember listening to a podcast, I think it was on Steve Cohen, where a whistleblower ran the numbers on his hedge funds and basically said that the returns he was getting were mathematically impossible.  Like there was no way someone could be that good at their job.  He was ignored but turns out he was right as the books were being cooked in a big way.

I think about the same thing sometime with how this team has drafted, like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop because there's no way they could be this good.

3 minutes ago, btdart20 said:

I'm here for that ride!  Especially if he's down the list of our best hitters!

Well if he's as good as Todd Helton was, he won't be down any list of our best hitters, unless we are employing the AL Allstar team.

I'm not sure how familiar that you are with who Todd Helton was. But he was a career .316 hitter with a .414 on base and a .953 OPS. Of course he played his home games at Coors, but that is still kind of like amazingly awesome.

15 minutes ago, Chaka Garcia said:

We drafted him for his elite speed and defense. If the bat plays - he could be a star. If not, he could still be a useful piece. You don't see the same projections from Cowser, Westburg or Kjerstad because those were bat-first players. There's a reason we're having trouble finding space for guys like Kjerstad and Norby. 

Also you're going to say it might be his first draft flop after 13 games at A+? Wild. 

• Upvote 3

8 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Well if he's as good as Todd Helton was, he won't be down any list of our best hitters, unless we are employing the AL Allstar team.

I'm not sure how familiar that you are with who Todd Helton was. But he was a career .316 hitter with a .414 on base and a .953 OPS. Of course he played his home games at Coors, but that is still kind of like amazingly awesome.

Simmer down...  Just because you've got it all figured out doesn't mean I do.

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

I remember listening to a podcast, I think it was on Steve Cohen, where a whistleblower ran the numbers on his hedge funds and basically said that the returns he was getting were mathematically impossible.  Like there was no way someone could be that good at their job.  He was ignored but turns out he was right as the books were being cooked in a big way.

I think about the same thing sometime with how this team has drafted, like I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop because there's no way they could be this good.

I think the Baseball Gods realized finally that they had been screwing Baltimore for four decades.  To show us the proper love they decided we would succeed with ALL the drafts for now on.

• Upvote 1

Funny thing is would they have changed the intentionally losing rules if the Orioles had not just SCORED everytime in the draft?  WE actually changed a baseball rule.  Elias and Sig changed an actual rule to make it impossible to dominate like we did.   If we had scored at the normal rate with draft picks no one really would of noticed the Orioles were tanking games.  

4 hours ago, glenn__davis said:

There is no other shoe to drop here. They had a choice between Holiday and Jones and they chose correctly. There was no insider trading possibility because no one had “the inside knowledge”.

I think what we have in the O’s case is a lot of great skill combined with great luck. As time goes on, things are not likely to continue this way especially as we pick at the bottom of the draft year after year.

This is not to say that they still won’t be great at what they do and still great some very good outcomes. But the choice set will start to become more limited to where it is no possible to walk away with the best player(s) in the draft year after year drafting at the bottom of the round.

1 minute ago, Gurgi said:

Funny thing is would they have changed the intentionally losing rules if the Orioles had not just SCORED everytime in the draft?  WE actually changed a baseball rule.  Elias and Sig changed an actual rule to make it impossible to dominate like we did.   If we had scored at the normal rate with draft picks no one really would of noticed the Orioles were tanking games.  

First off you and I are not part of the "we" that is the Orioles.

Secondly it wasn't just the Orioles, the Astros did it, the Cubs did it, we were just the latest and most blatant.

Thirdly, it wasn't about the hitting on draft picks, when the rule was changed the O's prospect landscape didn't look this rosy, it was about slashing payroll to nothing and intentionally fielding non-competitive teams for years on end a practice which managed to piss off both the players union and the other owners.

5 minutes ago, Gurgi said:

Funny thing is would they have changed the intentionally losing rules if the Orioles had not just SCORED everytime in the draft?  WE actually changed a baseball rule.  Elias and Sig changed an actual rule to make it impossible to dominate like we did.   If we had scored at the normal rate with draft picks no one really would have noticed the Orioles were tanking games.  

It didn’t start with the O’s. It was already being discussed once the Astros did what they did and the Cubs after them. We just took it to another level where it was like enough is enough of this.

Just now, Can_of_corn said:

Secondly it wasn't just the Orioles, the Astros did it, the Cubs did it, we were just the latest and most blatant.

Thirdly, it wasn't about the hitting on draft picks, when the rule was changed the O's prospect landscape didn't look this rosy, it was about slashing payroll to nothing and intentionally fielding non-competitive teams for years on end a practice which managed to piss off both the players union and the other owners.

You are absolutely spot on with all of this and said it better than I could ever.

And to be on the record (for whatever that is worth), I agree with MLB. Tanking is not in the best interest of the game. 

2 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

When I watch more than 150 games a year I think the Orioles would put a fan like me in the "we" category.