This team will make another early exit from the playoffs

dystopia

53 minutes ago, dystopia said:

And your strategy would have burned us just like it burned Hyde tonight and will burn us in the playoffs later. 

EVERYONE KNEW ROOKER WAS DOING DAMAGE THERE. Webb never should have thrown anything close. He's in scoring position in the batters box when he faces us. That was a critical at bat and we let him beat us.

You do not let Rooker beat you there. You make the next guy beat you. This is what I mean by a lack of baseball smarts. 

This is like PHing Hays for O'Hearn a few games ago which people here also defended.

Just really stupid baseball.

You say stupid baseball, I say stupid post.

No, not everyone knew that Rooker would do damage there.  You FELT that way because you are clearly pessimistic.  That last hit just got him to the Mendoza line.  You don't pitch around a guy to put the go ahead run in scoring position.  

Kimbrel was terrible tonight, but he's been great the rest of the season.  100 win teams lose 62 games.  It happens.  I hope the team has a little more fortitude than you.

• Upvote 2

32 minutes ago, Uli2001 said:

No overreaction, because I have been saying this after wins and losses:

This team will never win anything with this bullpen. In today's game, you need a good to very good BP to win. You can't go to 36-year old Kimbrel every night. Someone else has to step up. It was EXACTLY the same situation with Bautista. He was the only dominating reliever the O's had, got overused, and they broke him.

This has been a problem in 2022/2023 and is still a problem in 2024. This has been Elias' only shortcoming...

They were a top ten bullpen in both '22 and '23. Sure Bautista was a big part of that, but take the best reliever out of any pen and they'll look more middling. 

I also don't get the lines in various places about Elias doing nothing about the bullpen. The team has six relievers who have been in 10+ games. Four of those guys were acquired by Elias within the last ~season and a half, and they happen to have the four best ERAs in the current pen. 

I do think the pen is the biggest weakness of the current team. So hopefully Elias does more to address it, and I think he will. We have six or seven guys that are ok to good but a lack of real dominant guys you want for extra innings and the postseason. 

• Upvote 1

It's mostly a young team.  Not surprised a wily veteran like Stripling was able to frustrate the offense.  And not surprised the young guys are making some mistakes on defense.  They will improve.

But our bullpen has issues.  It's not as good as last year's, and I'm not convinced yet Elias has a real plan for getting some better pitching, either short term or long term.  Maybe the best we can do for now is wait and see what we'll get from Bradish, Means and Wells.  And go from there.

3 hours ago, Frobby said:

Just shaking my head at the defeatist posts in here.  If the players had the same loser attitude some of you do, the team would be lucky to win 50 games.  But guess what?   They’re way more mentally tough and they shake off disappointed losses like this one routinely.  

It’s a culture problem with our fans sadly. I’m not sure its origin but it is systemic and especially noticeable on Twitter. I get that you could make the same claim about all sports teams but with ours…they are quite vocal. It’s unfortunate, but I’m getting better at tuning them out. 

This thread is kinda funny coming from the guy that sarcastically said "anything less than 162-0 is unacceptable" when I mentioned the other day that I think they've been a little short of what I expected from the "soft" part of the schedule. 

3 hours ago, Uli2001 said:

No overreaction, because I have been saying this after wins and losses:

This team will never win anything with this bullpen. In today's game, you need a good to very good BP to win. You can't go to 36-year old Kimbrel every night. Someone else has to step up. It was EXACTLY the same situation with Bautista. He was the only dominating reliever the O's had, got overused, and they broke him.

This has been a problem in 2022/2023 and is still a problem in 2024. This has been Elias' only shortcoming...

Guess you've already forgot about Texas last year. And it was only 6 or 7 months ago,

1 hour ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really hate the chicken little sky-is-falling posts after a tough loss. Reactive and dumb and obnoxious. 

I haven’t looked yet but I’m assuming someone else will be here victory lapping. 

No kidding. People need to stop, take a deep breath, and remember we play 162 games.

5 hours ago, Explosivo said:

It’s a culture problem with our fans sadly. I’m not sure its origin but it is systemic and especially noticeable on Twitter. I get that you could make the same claim about all sports teams but with ours…they are quite vocal. It’s unfortunate, but I’m getting better at tuning them out. 

You're 100% correct. Mostly it's about trying to get attention, especially the folks on Orioles Twitter.

8 hours ago, dtk9119 said:

Joey Ortiz and the Brewers are enjoying themselves tonight so that helps with this stinging loss.

Elias MUST fix this BP. And I don't want to hear about Means and Bradish coming back as the fix. He needs to do more.

Other in house options like those, there’s really nothing that he can do until the deadline.

As long as he doesn’t do a Fujinama type thing again around the deadline.

6 hours ago, Explosivo said:

It's really just one or two troll posters.

8 hours ago, StottyByNature said:

You say stupid baseball, I say stupid post.

No, not everyone knew that Rooker would do damage there.  You FELT that way because you are clearly pessimistic.  That last hit just got him to the Mendoza line.  You don't pitch around a guy to put the go ahead run in scoring position.  

Kimbrel was terrible tonight, but he's been great the rest of the season.  100 win teams lose 62 games.  It happens.  I hope the team has a little more fortitude than you.

I felt that way because he does damage against the Orioles every time he faces us. Why should yesterday be any different? I’m tired of letting Oriole killers beat us. Enough is enough. 

He could have a single digit OPS and still find a way to murder us. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I really hate the chicken little sky-is-falling posts after a tough loss. Reactive and dumb and obnoxious. 

I haven’t looked yet but I’m assuming someone else will be here victory lapping. 

It really makes the board a worse place to be frankly.  Yes you can just not click on these threads, but similar posts get sprinkled throughout. 

It amazes me that some people, who purportedly have been baseball fans for a long time, get so worked up over one game this early in the season. Any rational fan knows we are going to lose at least 60 games bare minimum, even as one of the best teams in the AL. Yet it’s rant city after every one. It’s ridiculous, and as you said, straight up dumb. 

• Upvote 1