I think the Yankees will destroy Oriole pitching this week...

The Yankees pen is legit and has been for the last few years.  They have done a great job at building bullpens and targeting high quality arms.

Holmes is basically a right handed Britton. He’s nasty.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The Yankees pen is legit and has been for the last few years.  They have done a great job at building bullpens and targeting high quality arms.

Holmes is basically a right handed Britton. He’s nasty.

Yup. They still have a dominant pen even after the Soto trade. Our pen is more Hope and Pray they don’t blow the lead. We’ve been effective, but not fear inducing arms like prior years. 

These (insert what you want to) don’t lose either. If we weren’t 3-1 against them they’d be in first place. This is our real worry. Not the little stuff we stress over here. They have a Soto plus their bullpen didn’t lose a step after that trade.  Plus, they’re doing this without Cole. Bats are the easiest thing to buy at the deadline too. 

If we’re on pace to win 107, they’re right there behind us. It’s probably Gunnar vs Soto for MVP. 

12 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

These (insert what you want to) don’t lose either. If we weren’t 3-1 against them they’d be in first place. This is our real worry. Not the little stuff we stress over here. They have a Soto plus their bullpen didn’t lose a step after that trade.  Plus, they’re doing this without Cole. Bats are the easiest thing to buy at the deadline too. 

If we’re on pace to win 107, they’re right there behind us. It’s probably Gunnar vs Soto for MVP. 

They are most likely going to have injuries at some point as we move through a 162 game season. They have a lot of older players, the chances of all those guys staying healthy is quite low. And they lack the depth (similar to last season) to fill in those gaps when they occur.

17 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

I think their bullpen is going to be their MVP outside of Soto.  I'm sure Cole will still be great once he returns, too.

22 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

They are most likely going to have injuries at some point as we move through a 162 game season. They have a lot of older players, the chances of all those guys staying healthy is quite low. And they lack the depth (similar to last season) to fill in those gaps when they occur.

That’s wishful thinking.  I’m not trying to be a buzzkill on a Friday. That’s why I didn’t start a new thread. But the Yankees are a thing. They have the assets in the minors to pull off a trade for a SP and 2-3 bats at the deadline. Rental bats are cheap at the deadline compared to arms. Sometimes it’s just absorbing the contract basically. 

As usual, I’m not worried about our competitors at this stage of the season.  Just win a lot of games and put yourself in a good position, and then see where things stand as the trade deadline approaches.   The Yankees will have their ups and downs, and so will we.    

In my mind, the first goal is to get to 18 games over .500.  That puts a team in position to win 90 games just by playing .500 ball the rest of the season, and 90 wins is a virtual lock to make the playoffs.   Then get greedy from there.   

26 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That’s wishful thinking.  I’m not trying to be a buzzkill on a Friday. That’s why I didn’t start a new thread. But the Yankees are a thing. They have the assets in the minors to pull off a trade for a SP and 2-3 bats at the deadline. Rental bats are cheap at the deadline compared to arms. Sometimes it’s just absorbing the contract basically. 

No buzzkill here. Go ahead and feel however you feel.

But I don’t fear the Yankees. We are the better team and have many more assets in our Minor League system.

The Yankees have some good young pitching but only 2 top 100 prospects (both position players, outfielders).

They are a good team, but are in no way in a better position both now or in the immediate future. And we already saw what happened when the 2 teams played.