Bowden trade proposal: Kjerstad to CLE for two bullpen pieces

ChipTait

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry, I fell asleep there, you were saying?

Of course you would say that.  You always have a snarky remark.   I take the time to write out a thoughtful response with zero personal attacks toward you but you just can't help yourself.  Seen it a million times from you towards lots of other posters. 

I think it is better that you and I do not converse.  I can hold to that. 

I doubt that you can. 

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

Of course you would say that.  You always have a snarky remark.   I take the time to write out a thoughtful response with zero personal attacks toward you but you just can't help yourself.  Seen it a million times from you towards lots of other posters. 

I think it is better that you and I do not converse.  I can hold to that. 

I doubt that you can. 

I tend to respond when posters make stupid posts.

The idea that draft pedigree makes any difference at this point for Kjerstad is laughable.

3 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

I tend to respond when posters make stupid posts.

The idea that draft pedigree makes any difference at this point for Kjerstad is laughable.

My final post to you.

One, you again, just can't help yourself with the insults.

And two, you are dead wrong about pedigree and just too bull headed to see any side but your own.

Have fun insulting other people but I am done with you.

I think we should put Kjerstad out to stud now and only put him with softball players who are defensively gifted.   There’s no spot for him now but in 21 years we could have 9 power hitting Paul Blair’s and Mark Belangers playing for us.  It’s the new Moneyball but we’ll call it Horse Feathers.

• Haha 3

Not sure if some folks didn't notice, but Tony could very well walk after this season, and Kjerstad is the heir apparent to his role.  There guys a little bit further down the depth chart that I'd trade before Kjerstad.

3 minutes ago, Morgan423 said:

Not sure if some folks didn't notice, but Tony could very well walk after this season, and Kjerstad is the heir apparent to his role.  There guys a little bit further down the depth chart that I'd trade before Kjerstad.

Or Stowers.

Or Norby.

Or Mayo.

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

My final post to you.

One, you again, just can't help yourself with the insults.

And two, you are dead wrong about pedigree and just too bull headed to see any side but your own.

Have fun insulting other people but I am done with you.

I think draft pedigree has value.  I have reservations about Kjerstad mostly because I think he is, was and always will be a pretty mediocre defender.   I was more optimistic about that at the beginning of 2023 but that’s my feeling now.   And in the short run (2024-25), I’m not at all sure he can outhit O’Hearn.  I do think he’s a talented bat with pretty serious power.  But we really don’t need that right now.   

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, ChipTait said:

https://theathletic.com/5474112/2024/05/06/early-mlb-trades-buyers-sellers-2024/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=12089486

"The Guardians need to upgrade right field for the short- and long-term and acquiring Kjerstad, the second overall pick in the 2020 draft, would accomplish both aims."

In this trade, the Orioles would acquire two solid, controllable relievers to help fortify their bullpen. Gaddis, 26, has posted a 2.87 ERA in 17 appearances for Cleveland this season with 9.8 strikeouts per nine innings and 1.7 walks per nine. Smith, 24, has logged a 2.30 ERA and 1.43 FIP over 16 appearances this year, his first in the big leagues, with 13.8 strikeouts per nine (24 strikeouts in 15 2/3 innings).

Seems reasonable to me, a swap of controllable assets.

Your thoughts?

Relief Pitchers are Volatile, Relief Pitchers are Volatile, Relief Pitchers are Volatile,

Bowden is a goof, Bowden is a goof, Bowden is a goof

Disclaimer…. I wanted to replace goof with idiot but was afraid it might be against the rules.

1 minute ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Stowers yes, Kjerstad No.

Then again, I'd like to see more of Stowers in the majors with regular playing time so I know what we have in him.  Played a OOTP24 simulator and with regular playing time, Stowers was batting .288 smashing home runs and proving to be the heir apparent in RF before I ever selected Kjerstad's contract. (I didn't want to increase the team expenditures unnecessarily.)

I have found that simulator to be amazingly accurate to real life. It predicted the Texas Rangers season and Gunnar Henderson winning rookie of the year. It also predicted Jordan Westburg's 2023 numbers very accurately and was close in predicting Santander's arbitration salary.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
18 minutes ago, Billy F-Face3 said:

Then again, I'd like to see more of Stowers in the majors with regular playing time so I know what we have in him.  Played a OOTP24 simulator and with regular playing time, Stowers was batting .288 smashing home runs and proving to be the heir apparent in RF before I ever selected Kjerstad's contract. (I didn't want to increase the team expenditures unnecessarily.)

I have found that simulator to be amazingly accurate to real life. It predicted the Texas Rangers season and Gunnar Henderson winning rookie of the year. It also predicted Jordan Westburg's 2023 numbers very accurately and was close in predicting Santander's arbitration salary.

Agree.  I think he could be really good.  Almost like a Steve Finley guy.  A spark plug type.  But it is hard to tell when he doesn't really get a chance.  And I get that.  Players like Santander and Mullins are proven.   And I like both.  Hard to take them out. 

Stowers to me is a really good add in with a top O's prospect on  a trade to get a top tier elite guy.  Either pitcher or position player.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole

5 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Steve Finley is one of the players I most suspect of using PEDs.

For that reason I don't like using him as a comp.

I understand.  I am strictly talking about performance.  

Hard to prove either way what he did or didn't do and to take away what he did after being traded from the Os?

I will just say good job Steve.   Stowers reminds me of him in how he plays.

2 hours ago, Can_of_corn said:

Sorry, I fell asleep there, you were saying?

I think he was saying it's possible to torture a metaphor to the point that you can successfully compare traditional thoroughbred breeding methodology to identifying and valuing professional baseball talent.  More than anything else in life at this point, I want to be a fly on the wall when Elias and Sig have that conversation about Kjerstad.