Bowden trade proposal: Kjerstad to CLE for two bullpen pieces

ChipTait

He actually didn't ask me.  

I'm not a huge Kjerstad fan.  I also don't really care about make-believe lineups in which 1-9 are all homegrown players and have all turned out to be amazing hitters.  

But since you're interested, it'd push everyone back in the bullpen.  Maybe one of these guys could log save opportunities if Kimbrel pitches the day before.  

Hunter Gaddis looks ok but I’d have to see a lot more of these Cade Smith who had a 4.00 ERA in AAA and Savant says has a 95.4 mph fastball and gives minus values to his breaking ball and offspeed stuff.    You can’t sell me on 15 innings.

• Upvote 1

This is one of Bowden’s more rational trade proposals, IMO.   Neither Gaddis nor Smith is a guaranteed back end reliever, but both have good potential and are optionable.   We need those type of arms more than we need a LH power bat who’s a defensive question mark.   On Cleveland’s side, they have a top notch bullpen and probably could afford to deal these two.   

I’m not saying either side would do it, but it’s less unrealistic than most of Bowden’s ideas.  

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, ChipTait said:

https://theathletic.com/5474112/2024/05/06/early-mlb-trades-buyers-sellers-2024/?source=freedailyemail&campaign=601983&userId=12089486

"The Guardians need to upgrade right field for the short- and long-term and acquiring Kjerstad, the second overall pick in the 2020 draft, would accomplish both aims."

In this trade, the Orioles would acquire two solid, controllable relievers to help fortify their bullpen. Gaddis, 26, has posted a 2.87 ERA in 17 appearances for Cleveland this season with 9.8 strikeouts per nine innings and 1.7 walks per nine. Smith, 24, has logged a 2.30 ERA and 1.43 FIP over 16 appearances this year, his first in the big leagues, with 13.8 strikeouts per nine (24 strikeouts in 15 2/3 innings).

Seems reasonable to me, a swap of controllable assets.

Your thoughts?

I wouldn't trade Kjerstad at all. Norby? Maybe.Stowers? Sure. Santander, or Hays or Urias? Yep..but I wouldn't trade Kjerstad.

I would want to get Walters back from Cle..electric relief prospect in AAA.

This is a real philosophical question….do you trade the unproven young guy for BP help or do you trade the vet proven guy for BP help?

In the offseason, I feel that’s a no brainer and you move the vet but during the season, the decision becomes much harder imo.

11 minutes ago, Warehouse said:

If we’re trading Kjerstad for relief help, I’d prefer one higher quality piece than a two-for-one deal that makes up the value on quantity.

Quality over quantity for sure. It's not like the Orioles don't have capable relievers, but a closer type to compliment Kimbrel is better than a couple middling bullpen arms.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

Hunter Gaddis looks ok but I’d have to see a lot more of these Cade Smith who had a 4.00 ERA in AAA and Savant says has a 95.4 mph fastball and gives minus values to his breaking ball and offspeed stuff.    You can’t sell me on 15 innings.

This.

Hunter Gaddis has an MLB ERA of 5.59 and 1.39 WHIP over 66 career MLB innings. He was the 39th prospect in the Cleveland system prior to 2023 graduation (per Fangraphs). Smith was a 16th round pick who was ranked 27th in their system coming into this season. 

Not sure why some folks are so sanguine on this potential deal, or even questioning why Cleveland would want to do it. If Nick Vespi and Andrew Politi had similar starts to this season for the O's, would any of us think we could get a top-100 prospect from another team in exchange? That's basically what we're talking about here...

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

Why wouldn't we do it?

Ummmmm...maybe because he is a top 100 prospect and a former #2 draft pick and the 2 guys from Clev have been middling relievers there entire careers?

Tell ya what.  Why don't you offer 2 of our average middle relievers to XXX team for a top 100 prospect and top 5 pick and see how far you get without being laughed out of the room.

Some of the takes I see from people such as yourself....wanting to trade top talent for relievers who are literally a dime a dozen...is wild to me.

Edited by OnlyOneOriole