Our best rotation since 2014? 1996-97? 1983?

Posted (edited)

2024 -Burnes, Bradish, Grayson, Irvin, Means/Kremer/Suarez

2014 - Tillman, Chen, Miggy, Norris, Ubaldo/Gausman

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2014.shtml

1996 - Mussina, Erickson, Key, Kaminecki, Boskie/Krivda

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1997.shtml

1983 - Mcgregor, Boddicker, Dennis Martinez, Flanagan/Palmer

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1983.shtml

It makes you think…

Edited by sportsfan8703

1 hour ago, sportsfan8703 said:

2024 -Burnes, Bradish, Grayson, Irvin, Means/Kremer/Suarez

2014 - Tillman, Chen, Miggy, Norris, Ubaldo/Gausman

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/2014.shtml

1996 - Mussina, Erickson, Key, Kaminecki, Boskie/Krivda

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1997.shtml

1983 - Mcgregor, Boddicker, Dennis Martinez, Flanagan/Palmer

https://www.baseball-reference.com/teams/BAL/1983.shtml

It makes you think…

You forgot the Storm Trooper in 1983.

I think it was the 1997 team that had Mussina, Erickson, Key...  

Could be this staff is the best since the 80s but we'll have to wait and see.  I'm not ready to say it's close to better than the dynasty staffs of the 60s through the early 80s.  Those teams didn't just have good individual years but many years strung together.  That's what the O's haven't had in so long and need to get back to.

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

We’re at the 1/4 pole. This team is special. It might be since 1983. We haven’t had Grayson and Bradish on the team at the same time. Burnes, Bradish, Grayson vs Mussina, Key, Erickson?  That’s tough. 

Just imagine if we had an actual closer to anchor it all on the back end. 

I never felt the 2014 rotation was a strength. Burnes and Bradish are way better than Tillman/Chen. I'd say our current back end is at least comparable, maybe slightly better (Means>Gonzo Kremer=Bud Irvin>Ubaldo).

'96 1-2 is a good comp but I think the current back end is significantly better. I would take '96 Moose over Burnes but Bradish over Key.

I do think I would go with '83 as the last better rotation.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

I never felt the 2014 rotation was a strength. Burnes and Bradish are way better than Tillman/Chen. I'd say our current back end is at least comparable, maybe slightly better (Means>Gonzo Kremer=Bud Irvin>Ubaldo).

'96 1-2 is a good comp but I think the current back end is significantly better. I would take '96 Moose over Burnes but Bradish over Key.

I do think I would go with '83 as the last better rotation.

2014 was basically 5 solid but not spectacular pitchers. Tillman was the best of the lot and was quite good that year. 

The best teams have lots of depth and in 2014, depth was our biggest strength. 

Obviously we have tremendous depth now too.

14 minutes ago, dystopia said:

2014 was basically 5 solid but not spectacular pitchers. Tillman was the best of the lot and was quite good that year. 

The best teams have lots of depth and in 2014, depth was our biggest strength. 

Obviously we have tremendous depth now too.

Yes, it was a good regular season rotation but not really built for playoffs. 

7 hours ago, Explosivo said:

I mean, we had 4 20 game winners. That will never happen again. That’s got to be the best rotation the Orioles have ever fielded. Our current crop is really dang good however.

I dont think you'll see ANY team with 2 , 20 game winners anymore, let alone 4.....

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I dont think you'll see ANY team with 2 , 20 game winners anymore, let alone 4.....

Yes sir. That was special and in a different era, but man, the way these kids are slinging it…it’s kind of funny; however, Kremer made it known he doesn’t care about the stat, he only cares about the team picking up the win. It’s fun to see the change in the game in that fashion. What then is should be the best method/stat of evaluation? 

7 hours ago, EddeeEddee said:

I think it was the 1997 team that had Mussina, Erickson, Key...  

Could be this staff is the best since the 80s but we'll have to wait and see.  I'm not ready to say it's close to better than the dynasty staffs of the 60s through the early 80s.  Those teams didn't just have good individual years but many years strung together.  That's what the O's haven't had in so long and need to get back to.

Yeah, the ‘96 rotation wasn’t that great - they were 9th in the AL in ERA.  Mussina did not have a great year.  That team won due to a great offense and good bullpen.

Posted (edited)

While in a different offensive context, the 1997 was 5th in baseball for starting pitcher fWAR at 15.2.  Link to league list and individual BAL team rundown as SP only.

This years team has the potential to both talent and depth wise exceed that 1997 group (which was only 4 deep but featured peak Mussina, Erickson, resurgent Jimmy Key, and steady Kamienieke).

Excluding the late 60s/early 70s teams, The next best Os starting rotation in terms of fWAR was the 1979 squad with Flanagan, Dennis Martinez, McGregor, Palmer, Stone which was 3rd overall at 16.2 fWAR.

Edited by Say O!