is the team baseball's most entertaining team?

Look, I don't know if my central nervous system can take a whole season like this, but I'm sure as hell of one thing.

This  has gotta be the most exciting team in baseball.

That doesn't mean it's the best, or the most competent, although they are definitely in that mix...but just about every game, there's thrills, drama, tension, tight rope walking, and mostly it's a fun ride to watch.

My heart could be very happy with a half dozen laughers here and there, and the bullpen is , for right now, walking a fine line between excellence and potential implosion, but for now, this team, especially around the 6th inning on...is a thriller, and when they win...it's just so satisfying it fills my need for an adrenaline rush.

Yes, I over react, I over state,I am over the top, probably more often than I am subdued.  I wouldn't want it any other way. But I feel my heart thumping and my pulse rising, my hands sweating, just about every day or night.

Don't you think this ball club is a wild ride of cliff hanging dripping drama?

I sure as hell do.

Keep it up boys, you're the greatest show on turf.

Go Birds!

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

Posted (edited)

The game's most entertaining team (IN MY OPINION) has the most entertaining and fan friendly owner too. You sure as hell wouldn't see George Steinbrenner hosing down fans in the bleachers and giving out gift bags to them too. 

Edited by Roy Firestone

4 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

The game's most entertaining team (IN MY OPINION) has the most entertaining and fan friendly owner too. You sure as hell wouldn't see George Steinbrenner hosing down fans in the bleachers and giving out gift bags to them too. 

And John Angelos would sooner give up every penny he has than mingle with us peon fans.

Confession - I turned the game off yesterday at the beginning of the 11th inning. Couldn't watch Kimbrel in that spot. Figured - ball game. My meds weren't strong enough. Had to watch later on condensed replay. Never cease to be amazed what these guys can do. I should know better than to give up on them. This is a special team of young men and I sure hope that the baseball gods let them go the distance. But, either way, they are The Funnest Team On Turf!

Sometimes when I see posts about the Orioles on neutral posts like MLB.com and the like … I check comments to see what other teams fans are saying about the Orioles. They are generally overwhelmingly positive about how young and exciting they are and bad teams fans often say they’re rooting for the Orioles.

Ill enjoy that now cause in a couple years, as we continue to kick everyone’s butts, I doubt fans will be as gracious towards us!

• Upvote 1

The Orioles are the epitome of the traditional underdog....low team payroll, young up and comers, no recent tradition of winning...that other fan bases can rally behind.  Those fan bases see what this team is accomplishing and see that happening with their team.  We are blessed to be run by those like Mike Elias and his crew, who have implemented a system to find athletic, talented, and character driven players to take us to the top of the mountain.  Besides Rutschman and Holliday, other teams had the opportunity to draft all of our other young studs.  Those like Westburg and Henderson were passed over by EVERYONE.  This is truly a fun group to watch.

I think if you lived and died with the fortunes of some other very good team, you’d be about equally entertained.  Good teams are entertaining and win games in exciting ways.  This team is 9-3 in 5+ run blowouts, 5-4 in one run games, 3-2 in extra innings.  Let’s look at some other top teams:

ATL: 8-2, 6-6, 4-2

PHI: 12-4, 8-2, 2-1

MIL: 9-3, 8-4, 2-0

CHC: 8-3, 7-7, 1-3

LAD: 9-2, 5-5, 1-3

NYY: 8-3, 9-4, 1-3

CLE: 6-4, 6-6, 6-2

MIN: 6-5, 6-3, 1-0

KCR: 9-4, 7-7, 1-1

So, we’ve had the second most blowout wins of any of these teams, and are tied for the lowest number of one-run wins.  We’ve done decently in one-run games (5-4), but nothing special.  Same with extra innings (3-2).   

The O’s are our team, we love them, and they’re playing great.  Is their brand of winning baseball more exciting and entertaining than the other good teams?   Beats me.   I don’t have time to watch those teams play every night and compare them, and wouldn’t care about them even if I did that.  But I think it’s just generally exciting when your team plays well.  

After suffering 14 straight losing seasons, and another painful rebuild after that, all I dreamed of was my O’s being competitive again.

The last couple of seasons and the start of 2024, I feel like Baltimore can compete with any team on any given day. I can’t imagine any opposing manager is happy about seeing the Birds on the schedule.

Of course, the post-season was humbling, but this a team that seems to love to play and they find all kinds of ways to win.

I’m a wee bit biased, but I agree, this is an exciting team to follow.

Now I’m allowing myself to dream bigger.

1 hour ago, TonySoprano said:

Roy, There's more anxiety for sure now that they're contending and the games actually mean something.

I cant remember a time in all the years I watched baseball when my palms were sweating from anxiety as I watched the game on TV....I know, I need to get a life. But, this IS my life.

9 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

I cant remember a time in all the years I watched baseball when my palms were sweating from anxiety as I watched the game on TV....I know, I need to get a life. But, this IS my life.

Nothing wrong with that and damn is it not fun living and dying with this team nearly every night? I haven’t had this much fun as a sports fan in all my life and we are in year 2 in what should be a long window of competitive Orioles baseball! What a great time to be an Orioles fan!

Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, TonySoprano said:

Roy, There's more anxiety for sure now that they're contending and the games actually mean something.

I’ve got to disagree. The O’s are coming off a 101 win season. The pace that they on so far this year will surpass that. They’ve clearly established themselves as a top 3-ish or team in baseball.

Obviously they need to win these games to make the playoffs. But we’re at a point now that the wins that truly matter are the ones in the playoffs.

In the meantime, we have a 162 game regular season to get through. It’s 162 games. That is A LOT.

A Sunday afternoon blowout loss to Arizona is fairly meaningless. If I miss a game here or there on tv, it’s not a big deal. I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Certain games will have a big time feel to them, but for me I’m going to just enjoy watching the games and the young talent, and hope we can just fast forward to the playoffs where the games will truly matter.

Edited by dzorange

8 hours ago, Roy Firestone said:

Don't every change, Roy.

6 hours ago, dzorange said:

I’ve got to disagree. The O’s are coming off a 101 win season. The pace that they on so far this year will surpass that. They’ve clearly established themselves as a top 3-ish or team in baseball.

Obviously they need to win these games to make the playoffs. But we’re at a point now that the wins that truly matter are the ones in the playoffs.

In the meantime, we have a 162 game regular season to get through. It’s 162 games. That is A LOT.

A Sunday afternoon blowout loss to Arizona is fairly meaningless. If I miss a game here or there on tv, it’s not a big deal. I’m not going to lose any sleep over it.

Certain games will have a big time feel to them, but for me I’m going to just enjoy watching the games and the young talent, and hope we can just fast forward to the playoffs where the games will truly matter.

Let me clarify what I meant.  The games mean more now than they did 2017-2021.  Even in 2022, the team still finished 16 GB and 4th place.  Now people can actually mention playoffs without being taunted with a Jim Mora meme.

As to the pace we're on, we have a lead of only 1/2 game for the division title.    Last year, first place wasn't clinched until the last week of the season.    I'd much rather start the playoffs from the position of division winner and so would everyone else.