Trade options for the outfield

The outfield is looking a little thin with Mullins inability to hit, Cowser's severe slump, and Hays difficulty staying healthy.  I think an upgrade is needed, preferably someone who can play center and can mash lefties (to spell Mullins). 

It's early, so I doubt much is on the market, but I thought it would be fun to identify what could be out there.

1.  Robert, White Sox  CF.  Currently on IL.  Can play at All Star level when healthy.  3.5 years of control left.  White Sox's expected ask will be huge.  Not an option until close to deadline.

2.  Pham, White Sox  Utility OF.  Listed as CF.  I assume he has been taking Robert's place in CF.  I don't know much about his defense.  A quick survey of stats it appears slightly below average.  Hits lefties well.  946 OPS against LHP this year, 835 OPS for career.

3.  Adell, Angels, RF.  I assume he could handle LF too.  .809 OPS this year but negative career WAR.  He's never really established himself as an average major leaguer but maybe will this year.  If the O's trade for him, does he block Kjerstad? 

Feel free to add anyone you think might be available. 

• Downvote 1

The last thing we need is another outfielder.  We actually need to trade away outfielders so a Kjerstad can play.  Look what Ortiz is doing for the brewers.  The answer is in front of our faces.

• Upvote 4

Current outfielders on the Norfolk roster:

Kjerstad:  (1.156 OPS)

Daniel Johnson (.892)

Burdick ( .826 for the year)

And this doesn't include Stowers who we called up (but won't use yet) who had a .856.

Seems like we have options to reinforce the OF if we really want to.

• Upvote 3

39 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

The last thing we need is another outfielder.  We actually need to trade away outfielders so a Kjerstad can play.  Look what Ortiz is doing for the brewers.  The answer is in front of our faces.

My guess is they sign Aaron Hicks again lol

I get that the outfield is struggling right now, but the AB by Hays yesterday was encouraging. I think they're just being extra cautious with him given the wetter conditions. Santander isn't clicking, but still has a 117 OPS+ and Cowser, while slumping, will rebound. I am still concerned about Mullins, but his defense is still worth him playing some and I'd rather Cowser in CF and more playing time for Hays, Stowers and/or other prospects (Kjerstad) than spending a ton for an answer in the OF when a dominate back-end reliever is a bigger need in my eyes. 

52 minutes ago, EdwinRip said:

complete agree.I also think Cowser will figure it out...Id send him down for Kjerstad for now, I think you might see all kinds of options, including making Mayo a corner OF or even move Hollifay to the OF...We need BULLPEN arms not more outfielders.

The MiL's are not as stacked with trade chips as some would have us believe. I don't think they use any trade pieces for a position player. I'd rather see them use some of the players that have came up long before they start trading away guys.

8 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

complete agree.I also think Cowser will figure it out...Id send him down for Kjerstad for now, I think you might see all kinds of options, including making Mayo a corner OF or even move Hollifay to the OF...We need BULLPEN arms not more outfielders.

How’s Cowser going to figure it out if you send him down?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, EdwinRip said:

Sooner or later we need to trade away outfielders to get a good outfielder that can both play centerfield everyday and hit.  I've always been among Mullins' biggest champions but everyone's patience is running thin.  Maybe Hays can take over CF against righties, but what have we seen from him lately other than another stint on the IL and some vague sign of offense?

Mullins will and should be given many more chances to get things right, but the latest slump is worrisome for now and the future.

Rk. Player Team Age Position Competitive Runs Bolts HP to 1B Sprint Speed (ft / sec)
1 622761.png Mateo, Jorge 110.svg BAL 29 2B 27 11   29.8
2 683002.png Henderson, Gunnar 110.svg BAL 23 SS 62 2 4.27 28.8
3 676059.png Westburg, Jordan 110.svg BAL 25 3B 45 1 4.31 28.7
4 702616.png Holliday, Jackson 110.svg BAL 20 2B 11     28.7
5 681297.png Cowser, Colton 110.svg BAL 24 LF 43   4.22 28.0
6 656775.png Mullins, Cedric 110.svg BAL 29 CF 40   4.32 27.7

I think Holliday or Cowser could be an option for CF if Mullins keeps struggling. Its starting to look rough for him, like even with his great defense Mullins is starting to be at risk for losing playing time. I'll suggest Mateo as well. Thier all faster but getting jumps is a huge part of Mullins game. Something all the other options probably lack.

Although I don't think the Orioles feel this way, I'd have no problem acquiring a top flight outfielder who would be under control for at least this year and next.   Despite a lot of what everyone says about outfield not being a position of need, I beg to differ.   None of our prospects are ready to contribute and Mullins looks like he's toast.  Hays is a wildcard at this point.   

If there was a potential star outfielder available that could fit in somewhere near the top of the order, I'd have no problem adding that guy to the team.