FIX THE DANG BULLPEN

DocJJ

Posted (edited)

Since we're in the game thread, I think it's about time we debate in heated fashion who deserves the game ball, no? Should it go to Mateo for his fine game, or to Kimbrel / the ump for the final outs? 

Edited by Flash- bd

1 minute ago, Flash- bd said:

Since we're in the game thread, I think it's about time we debate in heated fashion who deserves the game ball, no? Should it go to Mateo for his fine game, or to Kimbrel / the ump for the final outs? 

Definitely Mateo.  You know the Orioles are going through a tough stretch when a Jorge Mateo three run homer is the key offensive moment.

Just now, yark14 said:

We have several major league ready hitters wasting away in AAA, and Stowers with bed sores on his butt.  We have the pieces to pick up more than one impact arm.

Hopefully, they use them. Our bullpen combined is probably worth about 1 win above replacement.

Webb isn’t a back end guy like Hyde has been using him. Cano isn’t the same guy he was last year (K-BB% is half of what it was last year). Right now, excluding Kimbrel since he’s back in the closer role, their best two relievers are Coulombe and Akin. Suarez has been good too but he’s not getting used like a back end guy. They desperately need to add at least one RHP and probably two that are legit 7th/8th inning guys. Would make the bridge to the 9th inning so much smoother if Webb/Cano/Suarez were your 5th-7th inning options out of the pen, then you had 2 other strong pieces to go in the 8th, and 2 really good lefties in Coulombe/Akin. 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, EddeeEddee said:

Definitely Mateo.  You know the Orioles are going through a tough stretch when a Jorge Mateo three run homer is the key offensive moment.

I was trying to make a bit of a joke based on an argument I had seen the other day, but I never was the best humorist. 😔

For the record, I agree. 🤣

Edited by Flash- bd

20 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Get a starter to go 7 innings vs a crap team

I'd buy this point if the bullpen got chipped away at gradually in this game. But it was basically just a Heasley blowup and I think that's the same guy they would have turned to if Grayson went 7 and gave up 2-3 runs. 

4 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

I was trying to make a bit of a joke based on an argument I had seen the other day, but I never was the best humorist. 😔

For the record, I agree. 🤣

Yeah I knew you were, and I was trying to respond with something of a joke in kind, that perhaps was funnier to me than the masses. 🤨

Just now, Spy Fox said:

I'd buy this point if the bullpen got chipped away at gradually in this game. But it was basically just a Heasley blowup and I think that's the same guy they would have turned to if Grayson went 7 and gave up 2-3 runs. 

The problem is we have a bunch of middle relievers pushed into the back end of the bullpen and they are being exposed. When Keegan Aiken is your most valuable reliever and a guy like Cano, who is supposed to be the backend All-Star is rocking replacement-level value, your team will have issues.

9 minutes ago, Malike said:

Keegan Akin is our best reliever by fWAR and it's not even close. He's the only O's pitcher in the top 60. The bullpen is not good.

To be fair, Akin is in the top 5 percentile in xERA. He’s been really good. But yeah the BP is 12th in FIP and 13th in xFIP which seems more fitting than the fact they’re 7th in ERA. The bottom 6 relievers in xFIP consist of Heasley and 5 other guys no longer in the pen (while throwing 30% of the BP’s innings) but they clearly need to add another piece or two. Webb and Cano struggling really highlight the need for another RHP.

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, LGOrioles said:

To be fair, Akin is in the top 5 percentile in xERA. He’s been really good. But yeah the BP is 12th in FIP and 13th in xFIP which seems more fitting than the fact they’re 7th in ERA. The bottom 6 relievers in xFIP consist of Heasley and 5 other guys no longer in the pen (while throwing 30% of the BP’s innings) but they clearly need to add another piece or two. Webb and Cano struggling really highlight the need for another RHP.

Aiken has been excellent, but the guys who are supposed to be "the guys" are not good. I suspect that by the deadline the bullpen will have blown enough games for them to start shipping out guys from AAA for some elite arms with control for the pen.

Edited by Malike

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Malike said:

The problem is we have a bunch of middle relievers pushed into the back end of the bullpen and they are being exposed. When Keegan Aiken is your most valuable reliever and a guy like Cano, who is supposed to be the backend All-Star is rocking replacement-level value, your team will have issues.

Definitely. Need another lockdown guy back there. 

In the meantime, get Tate back here. He's better than Heasley (and Baumann), and Suarez should be able to handle the long man role. 

Edited by Spy Fox

The O’s bullpen had the 7th lowest ERA in MLB going into tonight.  They’re far from terrible.  I do think they’ll need to pick up a top level back end guy before the postseason.