O's Acquire Thyago Vieira

11 minutes ago, Natty said:

Come in and walk the first 3 batters you face. 

Who would yank him?

Who would say keep him in there and watch this?

You definitely don’t rush someone to get ready and get him injured in an 11-0 game and no one else was up even throwing yet nor should they have been in that situation.  You let the guy warming up do his normal routine and get ready after the 2nd walk probably and he is ready for about when Perez came in.  If the first 5 guys score your still up 6 runs.  

25 minutes ago, Natty said:

Come in and walk the first 3 batters you face. 

Who would yank him?

Who would say keep him in there and watch this?

I'm leaving him in a bit longer.  I don't really care if he gives up runs, I want to give him a chance to get outs and save some guys in the bullpen with an 11 run lead.

• Upvote 1

59 minutes ago, bpilktree said:

He threw 2 innings against us in April and nothing over 96 mostly 94-95. Today every fastball and sinker was 97-100.  He was clearly overthrowing to try and impress but that backfired badly.  

The issue I had was even when the speed gun says he was throwing with that  much velocity?

It didn't look like it.

I certainly understand the thinking that you leave him in with an 11 run lead, but in my 60+ years of watching baseball, I've seen a lot of strange things. You have a nearly guaranteed win in front of you; don't let it get away. There's no reason to let it get close. Remind me again why we let Baumann go. 

Just now, Gentile4 said:

I certainly understand the thinking that you leave him in with an 11 run lead, but in my 60+ years of watching baseball, I've seen a lot of strange things. You have a nearly guaranteed win in front of you; don't let it get away. There's no reason to let it get close. Remind me again why we let Baumann go. 

Not enough guys with options.

• Upvote 1

Worst trade in Os history?  

Joking of course.  I know we gave up little and got a lottery ticket that might pop.  Still it was a terrible outing, and he should be on the bus to Norfolk if possible. 

7 minutes ago, forphase1 said:

Worst trade in Os history?  

Joking of course.  I know we gave up little and got a lottery ticket that might pop.  Still it was a terrible outing, and he should be on the bus to Norfolk if possible. 

He was so bad there's a good chance no one will claim him.

29 minutes ago, Gentile4 said:

For one thing, because Baumann did crap like this far too often. 

• Upvote 1

52 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

The issue I had was even when the speed gun says he was throwing with that  much velocity?

It didn't look like it.

I bet when statcast data comes out his movement was lot worse then usual too.  A lot of overthrowing takes away from the movement and makes it straight fastball.  I suspect 96-97 will get him more movement than he had today.  I would give him one more shot and see if he looks better if not all it cost us was 500k for a prospect they must like.  

This is a little off topic, but relevant in terms of the pitching talent in our system.....the Ironbirds had to use position players to pitch on Friday night and again on Sunday, including the Sunday guy pitching the last three innings after the first reliever in the 6th gave up 4 walks and 2 hits while getting no one out, and the next reliever giving up 5 hits while getting two outs.  The position player gave up 3 hits in three and a third innings. 

Point is, we do need to start trading our better offensive players in the minor for higher quality pitching.

4 minutes ago, Sanity Check said:

This is a little off topic, but relevant in terms of the pitching talent in our system.....the Ironbirds had to use position players to pitch on Friday night and again on Sunday, including the Sunday guy pitching the last three innings after the first reliever in the 6th gave up 4 walks and 2 hits while getting no one out, and the next reliever giving up 5 hits while getting two outs.  The position player gave up 3 hits in three and a third innings. 

Point is, we do need to start trading our better offensive players in the minor for higher quality pitching.

Don’t know what’s going on with the relievers, but there’s plenty of pitching talent in Aberdeen IMO.  Portes, Chance, De Leon and Baumeister, among others, are all legit prospects IMO.  The team has a 3.58 ERA, 3rd in the Sally League, while having the youngest staff in the league.  

• Like 1