The 2024 Trade Deadline

Up until this point, my take had been that the O's could afford to wait until closer to the deadline and should focus exclusively on front-line starting pitching.

But Suarez and Irvin have looked so bad lately that my opinion has changed.  The O's need to improve their starting pitching ASAP, and a solid #3-4 starter would be a huge improvement over what they have.   Just avoid overpaying for low BABIP smoke and mirror types like Tyler Anderson.  

5 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

Up until this point, my take had been that the O's could afford to wait until closer to the deadline and should focus exclusively on front-line starting pitching.

But Suarez and Irvin have looked so bad lately that my opinion has changed.  The O's need to improve their starting pitching ASAP, and a solid #3-4 starter would be a huge improvement over what they have.   Just avoid overpaying for low BABIP smoke and mirror types like Tyler Anderson.  

The Rangers aren't going to throw in the towel yet, but Max Scherzer would be a great pickup. Buyout what the Rangers owe him this year and see if the Rangers will be reasonable in their trade demands.

Scherzer is too old that Mayo or Basallo is on the the table. Scherzer just made his first start of the season last Sunday and he's due to pitch at OPACY this weekend. Of starting pitchers absolutely available right now there's probably not many good choices at the moment.

38 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

The Rangers aren't going to throw in the towel yet, but Max Scherzer would be a great pickup. Buyout what the Rangers owe him this year and see if the Rangers will be reasonable in their trade demands.

Scherzer is too old that Mayo or Basallo is on the the table. Scherzer just made his first start of the season last Sunday and he's due to pitch at OPACY this weekend. Of starting pitchers absolutely available right now there's probably not many good choices at the moment.

If we don't want to trade one of our big three (or four?) prospects, then focusing on bad contracts or rentals is our only option to salvage this season.  Better to do that than to do nothing. 

If we only do rentals, we'll need to add one or more starters over the offseason through free agency.  If Rubinstein has told Elias that he's willing to spend in free agency, then that reduces Elias' need to get a starter who is controllable beyond this year.  

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Three Run Homer said:

If we don't want to trade one of our big three (or four?) prospects, then focusing on bad contracts or rentals is our only option to salvage this season.  Better to do that than to do nothing. 

If we only do rentals, we'll need to add one or more starters over the offseason through free agency.  If Rubinstein has told Elias that he's willing to spend in free agency, then that reduces Elias' need to get a starter who is controllable beyond this year.  

Before picking up bad contracts of players who can still add value was a nonstarter. I'd like to think that's changed with Rubenstein. You have to think he wants the Orioles to win a World Series to cement his legacy. Rubenstein's already a billionaire it's not like John Angelos who has no other means of big money besides the team.

It's nice to have a good farm system, but it's going to take some $$$ to plug a few holes on this year's roster.

3 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

You may be right, but I just can't see Elias dealing Mayo for Skubal.  Kjerstad is no slouch as a Top 20 prospect in baseball.  With 5.5 seasons of Kjerstad as the headliner, the O's should be able to put together a strong package for 2.5 seasons of Skubal. 

I'm sure I'll get killed for this, but trade Westburg for Skubal.  Mayo is brought up to play 3B.  I'm trying to believe everything that Tony and others have said about Mayo being able to handle MLB 3B.  Detroit adds one of their top relief pitchers.  I know it's a ton to give up and I hate to give up Westburg, but it's the only way the O's can get an arm like Skubal w/o giving one of the top 3 prospects.

2 minutes ago, 24fps said:

This just in:

The O's are only 2 games behind for the AL East lead and 6.5 games in front for the AL wildcard.

Now back to regular programming...

I just looked, Yanks did make it interesting. 

The Cole line is awful. 

4IP/7H/6ER/0K/4BB/4HR

How in the world can Cole have zero K’s? 

19 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

I just looked, Yanks did make it interesting. 

The Cole line is awful. 

4IP/7H/6ER/0K/4BB/4HR

How in the world can Cole have zero K’s? 

It's worse than awful (unless he's tipping his pitches 😁).  IMO it's a little premature to count Cole out, but the Yankees have to sweating right now at the way he's looked since coming back.

2 hours ago, 24fps said:

This just in:

The O's are only 2 games behind for the AL East lead and 6.5 games in front for the AL wildcard.

I don't think it is really the past 5 games.  It is the next 4 months, potential playoffs, and all of next year that has people concerned.  Remember these elbows aren't just taking guys out this year, but most of next year as well. And Burnes probably won't be around next either. 

As the bluejays continue to fade, I cant help but think that they would be a trade fit if they decide to sell. 

Specifically Gausman and Berrios. Gausman is under contract for 2 seasons after this one, and Berrios has 4 years with an opt out after 2 years. So you would essentially have both of those guys for 2.5 years which would be a big boost for 2024, and the coming years with Burnes likely gone and Bradish out for 2025. They are both on hefty contracts (for Orioles standards) but with our payroll and new ownership group you would think that wouldnt be a huge problem. Not sure what the asking price would be for one of, or both, of those guys but worth looking into. I know its hard to look at trading within the division, especially what would potentially be a "blockbuster" type of  deal but I just dont see a ton of options on the trade market right now outside of the White Sox, A's and Rockies and none of those teams can match what the bluejays have to offer.

Edited by terpoh

10 hours ago, 24fps said:

This just in:

I don't know if anyone is questioning if the Orioles will still qualify for the postseason after this recent rough stretch. However, the concern that I am seeing/reading/hearing is that once October begins, we don't have the kind of pitching talent necessary to go deep into the Fall by winning multiple rounds against teams who have better pitching talent. 

I think pitching experience is a key here. The guys the Rangers had last year weren't exactly world beaters (Montgomery, Perez, Eovaldi, Heaney, and Scherzer came back late). At best #2 or #3 starters. But they all had experience and can keep their team in games, especially the way they were hitting obviously. Once you get past Burnes nobody in our rotation has been a starter for particularly long or has playoff experience. As we've seen recently, there's a big difference between gutting a game out to say limit to 4 runs over 4 innings compared to completely unraveling like Irvin did. We may not be able to find an ace out there to trade for, but please get a mid rotation guy who's been around the block.

I floated this idea the other day.  Going to try a slight different version today.

For Crochet,  Kjerstad, Norby, DeLeon

For Fedde,  Bradfield, McDermott, Chace

1. Feel free to call them overpays or underpays

2. Do the White Sox say no?

I think those are two strong packages or one overall very strong package.  I think the Crochet deal is clearly stronger than the Burnes deal was at the time for a pitcher with more control but durability questions.

We still hold onto our top 3.  They can try to manage Crochet’s workload if they/you believe in that.  Bottom line, we strongly upgrade the starting staff.    

Burnes, GRod, Crochet, Kremer, Fedde.   You’re back to having depth with Irvin to the pen and Povich to AAA.   You can use Crochet as an opener to manage his innings.

We still have chips like Beavers, Willems, Baumeister, Fabian to get rental relievers.

Of course, this guts a lot of top and mid level prospects but it keeps Basallo, Holliday, and Mayo here.  With the upcoming draft, and the Latin program showing real progress in the lower minors, I think there’s no doubt we can take the position player hit.  Losing McDermott and DeLeon is tough but if you get two starters from the Sox you have to send some arms back.