The 2024 Trade Deadline

Just now, Sports Guy said:

Urias going helps now but when Holliday is ready to come back up, someone else needs to go anyway. 

But I hope you are right.  A deal now makes sense for so many reasons but the other side has to play ball too.

The Rangers got Chapman “early” last year, so hopefully Elias is able to pull off something similar.

For Holliday, if there’s no injuries I think they might just wait until September 1 and use the extra position player roster spot on him. Then next year, one of the OF/corner bats is gone (Santander, Kjerstad, O’Hearn, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins). 

I think the preference is to give Holliday a lot of run at AAA now. You really don’t want to be in a situation where you call him up and he again struggles badly and you feel like he would have been better served with more time in AAA. 

That factor is most important, but add the extra September roster spot meaning you can call him up then and keep all your depth, plus the thumb on the scale of him being ROY eligible next year if they wait until September 1 all points to that being the most likely date IMO.

I also think they may want to give Mayo a more extended trial at 3B at the MLB level this year, with Westburg at 2B, to evaluate Mayo there before Holliday is called up. For roster construction this offseason they need to know if Mayo’s going to be a part time backup 3B, only a 1B/DH, work on becoming a RF, or stick as a full time 3B and push Holliday to CF.

• Upvote 4

Just now, CaptainRedbeard said:

For Holliday, if there’s no injuries I think they might just wait until September 1 and use the extra position player roster spot on him. Then next year, one of the OF/corner bats is gone (Santander, Kjerstad, O’Hearn, Mountcastle, Hays, Mullins). 

I think the preference is to give Holliday a lot of run at AAA now. You really don’t want to be in a situation where you call him up and he again struggles badly and you feel like he would have been better served with more time in AAA. 

That factor is most important, but add the extra September roster spot meaning you can call him up then and keep all your depth, plus the thumb on the scale of him being ROY eligible next year if they wait until September 1 all points to that being the most likely date IMO.

I also think they may want to give Mayo a more extended trial at 3B at the MLB level this year, with Westburg at 2B, to evaluate Mayo there before Holliday is called up. For roster construction this offseason they need to know if Mayo’s going to be a part time backup 3B, only a 1B/DH, work on becoming a RF, or stick as a full time 3B and push Holliday to CF.

For Holliday, I think it solely depends on the elbow and when he can realistically play in the field again.

We don’t know what several weeks means. Could be after the AS break or well into August. 

Im not worried about the offense. He’s too talented. That will come but if it takes a while for him to play in the field again, it’s possible they don’t bring him up at all because he won’t have enough acclimation time at the Ml level.

26 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

For Holliday, I think it solely depends on the elbow and when he can realistically play in the field again.

We don’t know what several weeks means. Could be after the AS break or well into August. 

Im not worried about the offense. He’s too talented. That will come but if it takes a while for him to play in the field again, it’s possible they don’t bring him up at all because he won’t have enough acclimation time at the Ml level.

He didn’t get sent down because of his defense.

23 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

I’m not calling for the team to DFA him. We are most likely going to have to keep him on the roster at this point in order to keep him out of the Yankees’ hands.

I don’t see a non-contender having much interest.

We should want Urias in the Yankees' hands. If he were to wind up playing a lot for them, that would mean they are in serious trouble and plummeting in the standings. I think the Yankees are collapsing either way, but Urias's glove isn't good enough to overcome his bad bat at the bottom of any lineup. He's a solid bench player and depth piece in case of injury. That's it. If he's playing regularly for the Yankees, then they're desperate and the Orioles should welcome that.

Urias is completely expendable for this team - Mayo, Norby, and eventually Holliday are going to need roster spots. No team is going to specifically trade for Urias at the deadline, but a DFA would trigger a team like the Mariners, or yes, even the Yankees, to offer cash or a low level/low end minors player to essentially jump ahead of the waivers priority line. Just like the Mariners did with Mike Baumann.

6 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

There are times I forget that Ryan Mountcastle is only 27-years-old and we have 2.5 years of control remaining.  It seems like he should be close to 29-30.  :P

He's an old 27.

He debuted at 23.  His youth was one of the reasons I wanted to keep him over Mancini.

• Confused 1

3 hours ago, dystopia said:

Mental masturbation for nerds… that’s all this will ever be. 

Perhaps, but our team’s decisions are influenced by a nerd (Sig) that takes a similar approach to projections.  He uses a proprietary projection algorithm as opposed to publicly-available projections, but it’s the same general concept.

Even if you don’t think they are predictive, the projections are useful for understanding how Sig might approach the market, as different projection model tend to be more similar to each other than to ERA or FIP.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Brooks The Great said:

We should want Urias in the Yankees' hands. If he were to wind up playing a lot for them, that would mean they are in serious trouble and plummeting in the standings. I think the Yankees are collapsing either way, but Urias's glove isn't good enough to overcome his bad bat at the bottom of any lineup. He's a solid bench player and depth piece in case of injury. That's it. If he's playing regularly for the Yankees, then they're desperate and the Orioles should welcome that.

Urias is completely expendable for this team - Mayo, Norby, and eventually Holliday are going to need roster spots. No team is going to specifically trade for Urias at the deadline, but a DFA would trigger a team like the Mariners, or yes, even the Yankees, to offer cash or a low level/low end minors player to essentially jump ahead of the waivers priority line. Just like the Mariners did with Mike Baumann.

They’re not going trade Norby ?

1 hour ago, Warehouse said:

Perhaps, but our team’s decisions are influenced by a nerd (Sig) that takes a similar approach to projections.  He uses a proprietary projection algorithm as opposed to publicly-available projections, but it’s the same general concept.

Even if you don’t think they are predictive, the projections are useful for understanding how Sig might approach the market, as different projection model tend to be more similar to each other than to ERA or FIP.

Looking at the Orioles approach to acquiring pitching, other than Burnes and Jacob Webb, it leaves a lot to be desired. And you didn’t need advanced stats to know Burnes was top tier. 

Fuji, Flaherty, Vieira, Teheran, Ramirez… all terrible. 

1 hour ago, Allan Bryant said:

They’re not going trade Norby ?

Did I miss something or are you speculating? Norby makes perfect sense as the guy who is blocked, but having a veteran not too far removed from a GG season and who still plays solid defense does have upside for a contending team. I agree, though, that Urias is expendable for the Orioles, however, for the same reasons the Yankees would want him, so might the Orioles. McCann seems to be evidence of this because it's hard to imagine what he brings to the team besides "intangibles" or maybe how comfortable the pitchers are with him, which btw, I don't totally discount.

51 minutes ago, dystopia said:

Looking at the Orioles approach to acquiring pitching, other than Burnes and Jacob Webb, it leaves a lot to be desired. And you didn’t need advanced stats to know Burnes was top tier. 

Fuji, Flaherty, Vieira, Teheran, Ramirez… all terrible. 

Cano, Coulombe, Perez. all not terrible...