The 2024 Trade Deadline

2 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

The innings limit is not something based on any science. Yes you would assume throwing more innings than ever would do damage to a recently reconstructed arm but the data doesn’t really back that up. 

that said I think most teams are still very conservative when it comes to pitchers returning from injury so it’s certainly relevant. 

I'm not certain the concern is even just injury, but there are also concerns of a tired arm. Luis Gil has destroyed his innings coming off of TJS this year and after being the best pitcher in the AL for 15 starts, his last two he is not the same guy. I'm not sure if there is any science to building up stamina, and I don't have time to look, but it will be interesting to see going forward how these guys who are crushing their max IP after coming off injury hold up stamina wise.

5 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d prefer they trade value to get a starter from a team like Seattle. If Seattle hopes to be competitive in the playoffs they will need to find some more offense. 

Mateo and Mountcastle would be 1st and 3rd in OPS among players with 150+ ABs on Seattle's rosters. Feels like there is a trade to be done with the M's for pitching without giving up one of our top 5 prospects, especially if a ML ready hitting prospect or two (Norby? Stowers?) is included.

The issue is they've had some pitching injuries of late. Who would we want from the M's?

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Roll Tide said:

I’d prefer they trade value to get a starter from a team like Seattle. If Seattle hopes to be competitive in the playoffs they will need to find some more offense. 

Seattle is in the market for a starter, they aren't trading anyone from their rotation.

2 hours ago, oriolediehard said:

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10125833-10-fresh-mlb-trade-ideas-1-month-from-2024-trade-deadline

Horrible trade proposal by Bleacher Report: 

Garrett Crochet to the Baltimore Orioles

To BAL: LHP Garrett Crochet

To CWS: 1B/OF Heston Kjerstad, LHP Cade Povich, 2B Connor Norby, OF Dylan Beavers

I don't hate this

Throw in Kopech and lets go Kjerstad, McDermott, Norby, Beavers, Fabian, Stowers, Bright

My thoughts regarding this trade deadline:

• The Mariners will deal for bats via farm system depth, not from their starting rotation, so an O's & M's deal is not likely.
  • Elias will not seek a deal with the White Sox for Robert or Crochet.  Kopech? Possibly.
  • Elias will not trade for a 'big bat', but could add a RHH OF who can play a solid CF.
  • Elias will add a starter and a reliever.  The quality of each may not match the hopeful expectations of many posters here.
  • Elias will not trade Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo.  Kjerstad is a possibility to be dealt, but I would not be surprised if he remains.
  • Most posters here will be disappointed when the deadline ends, in that we didn't acquire enough talent. 

Again, these are just my thoughts as of now.  I could feel different tomorrow. :P

• Upvote 4

57 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

My thoughts regarding this trade deadline:

• The Mariners will deal for bats via farm system depth, not from their starting rotation, so an O's & M's deal is not likely.
  • Elias will not seek a deal with the White Sox for Robert or Crochet.  Kopech? Possibly.
  • Elias will not trade for a 'big bat', but could add a RHH OF who can play a solid CF.
  • Elias will add a starter and a reliever.  The quality of each may not match the hopeful expectations of many posters here.
  • Elias will not trade Holliday, Basallo, or Mayo.  Kjerstad is a possibility to be dealt, but I would not be surprised if he remains.
  • Most posters here will be disappointed when the deadline ends, in that we didn't acquire enough talent. 

Again, these are just my thoughts as of now.  I could feel different tomorrow. :P

Good summary. This would be my guess as well. Won't stop people from repeating proposals that make no sense and then getting mad when they don't happen.

• Upvote 1

12 minutes ago, BohKnowsBmore said:

Yea. It is not good. 

if he establishes that he’s indeed healthy, Scherzer seems like he could be an ideal rental candidate as the salary relief alone would be a nice get for the rangers, along with whatever we’d send their way

This is the way and I have to think this is what Elias is going to be looking for in a trade. Giving up 4 or 5 prospects for a pitcher who could be gone after 2 years is a steep price. 

49 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

How is it an awful trade? With the exception of Povich all are replaceable or trading from depth. 

A.  Kopech is awful, 5ish FIP and essentially Mike Baumann + a tick of FB velo.

B.  Even if AAA guys are “expendable” or “replaceable” trading all 7 at this deadline is not wise (need some dry powder for the offseason and next trade deadline too)