The 2024 Trade Deadline

3 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

We need a starter... a good one.  Anyone disagree?  Carry on. :P

How long have you been on this board? lol

There are plenty of posters who would still argue “Cole Irvin is fine” as long as we don’t have to trade any prospects.

Thankfully none of our opinions will matter in the end and hopefully Elias will pull the right lever.

• Upvote 1
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Bemorewins said:

There are plenty of posters who would still argue “Cole Irvin is fine” as long as we don’t have to trade any prospects.

Thankfully none of our opinions will matter in the end and hopefully Elias will pull the right lever.

LOL yeah we both know there are always a couple. 😂

4 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

This is just hyperbole and not true. Most Irvin defenders were active over a week ago after his bad start against the NYY. At that point he had 2+ months of success to point to. He’s been awful for 3x straight starts now and I haven’t seen anyone say he’s a viable game 3 starter at this point. 

Further, even the most homer of homers knows we need to trade prospects to get talent back, the issue is what level of prospect we’re willing to trade. Most agree there is NO ONE available from any of the current sellers, worth any of our top 3 prospects. 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Most agree there is NO ONE available from any of the current sellers, worth any of our top 3 prospects. 

That may not be true. The conventional wisdom was that Burnes wasn’t available until all of a sudden he was. If we offered Jackson Holliday straight up to the Tigers for Tarik Skubal would they hang up the phone? 

27 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

This is just hyperbole and not true. Most Irvin defenders were active over a week ago after his bad start against the NYY. At that point he had 2+ months of success to point to. He’s been awful for 3x straight starts now and I haven’t seen anyone say he’s a viable game 3 starter at this point. 

Further, even the most homer of homers knows we need to trade prospects to get talent back, the issue is what level of prospect we’re willing to trade. Most agree there is NO ONE available from any of the current sellers, worth any of our top 3 prospects. 

I just had a poster tonight in the game thread tell me that he trust Irvin as much or more than any starter not named Burnes.

”Hyperbole”? “Untrue”? LOL 

We don’t know who truly is available. That is all speculation at this point.

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

I just had a poster tonight in the game thread tell me that he trust Irvin as much or more than any starter not named Burnes.

”Hyperbole”? “Untrue”? LOL 

We don’t know who truly is available. That is all speculation at this point.

Not in a single game, but over the course of the year, he has been the O's 3rd most dependable starter after Burnes and GrayRod.  It also highlights how desperately the O's need to upgrade the rotation that many posters are perfectly happy with, or are ok with as long as they don't give up any good prospects (get another 2023 Flaherty type starter).

18 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

Not in a single game, but over the course of the year, he has been the O's 3rd most dependable starter after Burnes and GrayRod.  It also highlights how desperately the O's need to upgrade the rotation that many posters are perfectly happy with, or are ok with as long as they don't give up any good prospects (get another 2023 Flaherty type starter).

In Irvin’s last three starts, he logged 4.2 , 4.0  & 3.2 innings . I don’t think dependable is the right term for him .  There’s gotta be better starters than Irvin on selling market . 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, ShoelesJoe said:

That may not be true. The conventional wisdom was that Burnes wasn’t available until all of a sudden he was. If we offered Jackson Holliday straight up to the Tigers for Tarik Skubal would they hang up the phone? 

A lot of players who are not available now will be available closer to the deadline when the calculus about their team's postseason chances has changed enough.  That will be true regardless of whether or not Holliday is on the table.

6 hours ago, Allan Bryant said:

In Irvin’s last three starts, he logged 4.2 , 4.0  & 3.2 innings . I don’t think dependable is the right term for him .  There’s gotta be better starters than Irvin on selling market . 

Those three starts were going against @NYY, @Hou, and Texas. He’s slated to go @Oak with an extra day of rest. 

We have to differentiate between regular season SP and playoff SP. Just like how we have to do with regular season RP and playoff RP. 

Irvin, Povich, Kremer, and Suarez, are fine options to get you through 162. 

Burnes, and Grayson, are our playoff options right now. We need a game 2/3 SP.

The playoff RP core looks to be Kimbrel, Cano, Webb, Coloumbe(if healthy), and Perez.

It would be nice to add two arms to the playoff RPs.