The 2024 Trade Deadline

24 minutes ago, Rbiggs2525 said:

Things could change in 2 weeks but I doubt the Orioles front office is very concerned with the bullpen. Kimbrel, Tate, and Perez are pitching better. I do prefer an elite back end guy. 

It would be delusional (borderline malpractice) to believe that this pen as currently constructed can out duel the Yankees pen (as they are currently constructed).

7 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

You'd be paying triple the price

Helsley triple the price of Scott? I doubt it.

But if that’s the ask, then it would probably be best to pivot. 

Historically speaking good relievers will be available to be acquired for reasonable price (especially ones who will be FAs at season’s end). 

2 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Now if we were to acquire one of them AND Tanner Scott, I would be fine with that. But not Scott if he is our one magic bullet, seems to risky (unnecessarily) to me.

I agree with this. Scott to knock Akin out of the pen, and a RH to move Cano down a rung and send Tate out. But I also think they should start preparing McDermott for that role now, and it is possible he could be a legit piece by September. 

3 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Helsley triple the price of Scott? I doubt it.

But if that’s the ask, then it would probably be best to pivot. 

Historically speaking good relievers will be available to be acquired for reasonable price (especially ones who will be FAs at season’s end). 

Helsley is under contract for next year also

28 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Just say no to overpaying for Mason Miller.

First, unproven. Hasn't really pitched more than 30ish innings in the minors or majors.

And he's been really lackluster over his last 7 appearances: 4.82 ERA, 4.87 FIP.

We'd be overpaying for a reliever which is rarely, ever a good idea. 

Very deceptive use of stats.

Mason Miller has had THREE bad outings all season. In those last 7 appearances was his ONE SINGULARLY blow up outing of the season (against COL). 

But even with including those stats, his numbers are FAR SUPERIOR to our very best reliever by A LOT.

Not a single one of our relievers has the strike out stuff let alone numbers that he does. To be truthful, very few in the game do. And one of them is out for the season.

34 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

Very deceptive use of stats.

Mason Miller has had THREE bad outings all season. In those last 7 appearances was his ONE SINGULARLY blow up outing of the season (against COL). 

But even with including those stats, his numbers are FAR SUPERIOR to our very best reliever by A LOT.

Not a single one of our relievers has the strike out stuff let alone numbers that he does. To be truthful, very few in the game do. And one of them is out for the season.

It's not deceptive if:

• He doesn't have a track record
  • He's pitched a max of 52 innings in one season (last year). He's on track to eclipse that quite a bit by the end of the season.
  • Those 3 bad outings all came within the last 7 games! That's the point!

Everybody wants to give up the farm for a reliever with zippy track record for a team that has very little incentive to flip him unless it is to absolutely fleece the other organization. They're not in a hurry.

Edited by LookitsPuck

The Yankees are all in this year.  We haven’t seen them big “all in” type buyers at the deadline in a bit. Also, the Royals might be all in too, considering all the money they’ve given Witt. 

Those our are first two playoff matchups as of today. 

2 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

The Yankees are all in this year.  We haven’t seen them big “all in” type buyers at the deadline in a bit. Also, the Royals might be all in too, considering all the money they’ve given Witt. 

The standings show about 20 teams all in.  This extra wildcard has really thrown off the trade deadline. With about 5 sellers and 25 buyers.

1 hour ago, LookitsPuck said:

You have that much faith in Diaz? He's allowed runs in 6 of his last 10 appearances. Yeah, the strikeouts are there, but man...I worry about the injury still being an issue going forward. 

His baseball savant page is all red. His expected ERA is 2 runs less. I think he’s a good buy low guy. Best case you have one of the best closers in baseball. Worst case you stash him in the 6th and 7th inning until he gets hot again.

16 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

Kansas City is 10-14 vs teams .500 or better and 15-16 on the road. Seth Lugo and Salvy Perez are having unsustainable years. 

I would still bet they finish the season under .500 and miss the playoffs.

12 minutes ago, DirtyBird said:

Kansas City is 10-14 vs teams .500 or better and 15-16 on the road. Seth Lugo and Salvy Perez are having unsustainable years. 

I would still bet they finish the season under .500 and miss the playoffs.

I'm not sure about under .500, but I do think they're playing over their heads and are pretty likely to eventually fall out of the 5 seed. 

Though both teams have been meh so far, I think Minnesota or Toronto are my current guesses for that 5 seed matchup. 

The Royals are really puzzling. Their entire offense seems to be Witt, a 34 year old twilight year Perez, and smoke and mirrors. Somehow that's the 4th best OPS in the AL which probably says more about how bad some of the other teams in the AL are.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

It would be delusional (borderline malpractice) to believe that this pen as currently constructed can out duel the Yankees pen (as they are currently constructed).

I’m all aboard the “Orioles need to add to the pen” train. And would actually like them to add 2 backend guys, not just one. But the O’s have a BP ERA of 3.32, NYY is at 3.05. The O’s have a better FIP, xFIP, K/9, and BB/9. To say they can’t out duel the NYY pen as currently constructed seems pretty far fetched. 

The Yankees are relying heavily on Michael Tonkin (ERA’s of 5.02, 5.14, and 4.28 the last 3 years), Ian Hamilton, and Luke Weaver (career 4.58 ERA as a reliever). Sorry, but none of those guys remotely scare me as an opposing fan. Holmes is really good but is still K’ing less than a batter per inning. Their pen isn’t much different than the Orioles at the moment and hopefully Elias out duels Cashman at the TDL, because they could conceivably be interested in many of the same arms. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

How’d we do against the Yankees when we played them?  Oh, that’s right, they scored a grand total of six runs in four games.  Our bullpen allowed them 1 run in 12.1 innings.  

You never know what’ll happen in a short series.   

• Upvote 3