The 2024 Trade Deadline

4 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

G Rod is the Mountcastle of pitchers.  Lots of pretty charts, RL results, not so much.  G Rod seems to lack that bull dog mentality to make it thru the 6th or 7th inning.  In a big game, G Rod will likely have to exit after 5 innings with lots of flashy Ks and impressive velocity.  Irvin will go 6 or 7 with less Ks and get the job done.

Irvin has gone 6+ innings in 4 of 10 starts. Rodriguez has gone 6+ innings in 6 of 11 starts. I’m a little slow, which one of those is better?

• Upvote 1

Question for the crowd: What chance two contenders might make a trade? I was thinking we might get a pitcher in return for one of our OF arms. A pretty good article in the Athletic detailed needs and targets for all 30 teams(The White Sox target is “Prospects”)

Almost every contender needs a solid outfield bat. Each also needs a bullpen arm, but trading with Seattle or KC, for instance, would arguably be strengthening a team we wouldn’t see in the first round of the playoffs, and it might be worth it, if the return adequately fills a need of ours.

?

4 minutes ago, Philip said:

Question for the crowd: What chance two contenders might make a trade? I was thinking we might get a pitcher in return for one of our OF arms. A pretty good article in the Athletic detailed needs and targets for all 30 teams(The White Sox target is “Prospects”)

Almost every contender needs a solid outfield bat. Each also needs a bullpen arm, but trading with Seattle or KC, for instance, would arguably be strengthening a team we wouldn’t see in the first round of the playoffs, and it might be worth it, if the return adequately fills a need of ours.

?

They should NOT trade Mayo, Kjerstad, or Norby. But likely Norby will be moved...Id be ok moving Mullins and or Urias too...I dont want to give up elite talent for a 1 year rental...so I think multi year control must also be a factor.

3 minutes ago, Roy Firestone said:

They should NOT trade Mayo, Kjerstad, or Norby. But likely Norby will be moved...Id be ok moving Mullins and or Urias too...I dont want to give up elite talent for a 1 year rental...so I think multi year control must also be a factor.

Who we trade is a different topic. I was just wondering how likely it was we’d be willing to trade with another contender, even though the trade would presumably make them stronger.

33 minutes ago, Philip said:

Who we trade is a different topic. I was just wondering how likely it was we’d be willing to trade with another contender, even though the trade would presumably make them stronger.

I'm sure it's happened before, so I wouldn't rule it out.  Elias must be super busy at this time with the MLB Draft a bit over 4 weeks away, trade talks and/or trade considerations are likely ongoing, and of course, roster management.    

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Philip said:

?

It doesn’t happen very often. And who’s giving us the kind of very good to excellent back end of the bullpen arm for a Hays or Mullins? 

My preference would be to keep Santander as he gives our lineup more length (into being a top level offense). Replacing him with Kjerstad introduced too much potential volatility into the season for me, which IMO is an unnecessary risk to take when you have a team this good and an opportunity this good.

1 hour ago, Roy Firestone said:

You believe that Connor Norby is an “elite talent”? What place does he have longterm beyond backup once you add Holliday, Mayo, and Kjerstad to the Major League team next season?

Other questions: If we do not trade any of the aforementioned players, what would be your plan to strengthen the back end of the bullpen? Are you comfortable rolling “as is”? Do you think that Urias, Mullins, or even Hays for that matter can land the type of shutdown reliever that we need at the back of the bullpen?

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

It doesn’t happen very often. And who’s giving us the kind of very good to excellent back end of the bullpen arm for a Hays or Mullins? 

My preference would be to keep Santander as he gives our lineup more length (into being a top level offense). Replacing him with Kjerstad introduced too much potential volatility into the season for me, which IMO is an unnecessary risk to take when you have a team this good and an opportunity this good.

No one will give us anything for Hays or Mullins. I said before the season they have too much value to DFA, but too little to trade, which remains true. 
if we trade someone we have to trade someone with meaningful value, which would mean Norby, Kjersted, Mayo, etc. Sorry, but that’s what the recipe calls for.

I always find it humorous that people talk about “Can we get Team X’s hot guy if we dangle our current worst player, and throw in our other worst player? Hmmmm?” And then suggest that teams are falling over themselves to acquire Mullins, Hays or whomever. They always use the word “dangle” too, which somehow makes it sound worse.

MLBTR is questioning TBR deadline approach?

If Elias doesn't trust the 10/2024 version of Holliday, could Lowe be the MI LHH rental that scratches the annual itch?

Is there a place to get anything out of Arozarena?  

Is Fairbanks in play?

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, btdart20 said:

MLBTR is questioning TBR deadline approach?

If Elias doesn't trust the 10/2024 version of Holliday, could Lowe be the MI LHH rental that scratches the annual itch?

Is there a place to get anything out of Arozarena?  

Is Fairbanks in play?

Possible? Sure. Yet, I'd be surprised by any trades in the divisions, unless it was considered a minor one.  I doubt Elias would want to see any of his prospects helping an AL East rival when he can get similar players elsewhere.

Edited by Greg Pappas

7 hours ago, Philip said:

?

The Mariners and Dbacks made a major league trade last year of two contending teams.   The Mariners sent there closer for Josh Rojas a middle infielder and Dominic Canzone an outfielder.  Both the guys the Mariners aquired played a lot down the stretch.   

I think with the exter wild cards and more teams in contention with playoffs there will be more of these type trades.  Maybe not someone as good as Seward was for the Mariners but solid relief guys for a position of need.  

• Upvote 1

Crochet had a monstrous game tonight.

7 IP 2 H 1 ER 2 BB 13 Ks

I would love to have him even if it meant moving him to the bullpen for the final stretch but someone is gonna drastically overpay for him with top of rotation potential and 2x additional seasons of club control. 

assuming it starts with Mayo, Kjerstad, Povich etc 

15 hours ago, Bemorewins said:

You believe that Connor Norby is an “elite talent”? What place does he have longterm beyond backup once you add Holliday, Mayo, and Kjerstad to the Major League team next season?

Other questions: If we do not trade any of the aforementioned players, what would be your plan to strengthen the back end of the bullpen? Are you comfortable rolling “as is”? Do you think that Urias, Mullins, or even Hays for that matter can land the type of shutdown reliever that we need at the back of the bullpen?

I think Norby is going to be a very good MLB offensive player. I’m ok trading him but not for 1/2 season rental types.

10 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

Possible? Sure. Yet, I'd be surprised by any trades in the divisions, unless it was considered a minor one.  I doubt Elias would want to see any of his prospects helping an AL East rival when he can get similar players elsewhere.

I don’t think this matters. I think you get value where you can. The Rays have been willing trade partners in the past when it was clear they weren’t contending. Right now they are 4 games out of the last slot but have like 5 teams above them. Can they get it? Sure but it’s not that likely and in the past they’ve been realistic in their down type seasons.