The 2024 Trade Deadline

Posted (edited)

A trade idea with the LAA Angels:
O's receive RH Closer Carlos Estevez (31) FA after this season
Angels receive RH Starter Jackson Baumeister & RH Reliever Trace Bright

This seems about right, though I might be convinced that we're not giving up enough.

Edited by Greg Pappas

12 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

A trade idea with the LAA Angels:
O's receive RH Closer Carlos Estevez (31) FA after this season
Angels receive RH Starter Jackson Baumeister & RH Reliever Trace Bright

This seems about right, though I might be convinced that we're not giving up enough.

Os should try to deal from their strength…position players.

• Upvote 1

Posted (edited)
12 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

Os should try to deal from their strength…position players.

That would be ideal.  I couldn't find a match that felt right, but maybe you have something in mind?

Edited by Greg Pappas

48 minutes ago, Bemorewins said:

You should know I could care less being called dramatic. If that’s how you see it, so be it.

Just having a bit of fun with the notion that starting Kremer in the playoffs would be a “travesty.” It’s less than ideal, but I think that’s a bit of an oversell. Especially since we have legitimate depth behind Kremer. A Kremer-Irvin piggyback, for example, would be a reasonably competitive matchup against all but the very best SP3s.

Hopefully Bradish is able to get back. That’s the simplest and (by far) cheapest answer to this question. I guess we’ll know before 7/31 whether that’s on the table or not.

41 minutes ago, Frobby said:

I definitely see this differently than you.  If this is about process, then the Orioles’ process since the minute Elias arrived has been fantastic.   I thought that when they were losing, I thought it while they were turning things around, and I think it now that they’re winning.  They didn’t win the most games of any Oriole team in 44 years by accident, and the fact that they’re on pace for 100+ wins again this year isn’t some coincidence.  They didn’t go for some quick fix, they tore it down and executed an outstanding rebuild.   My spending decisions are completely unrelated to how much the Orioles spend on payroll.  I like watching this young, excellent, exciting team play baseball and I get no enjoyment at all from studying payroll numbers, no matter what those numbers are.  And for the most part, watching young, hungry, improving players who came up together is more fun than watching older, declining players who came from the four corners of the Earth and are highly paid. 

So, to be very clear, I don’t equate “commitment to winning” to “commitment to spending.”   I expect the former.  If that sometimes requires spending, obviously I’m in favor.  But mostly I want to see a system that yields consistently good results, regardless of spending.  

I’m as engaged and spend as much and attend as much as I do/can because I am in full agreement with the process since Elias’ arrival. There are things that I don’t/didn’t like agree with. But that is going to happen at points in time no matter what (who is in charge or running the show).

However, IMO the organizational/life cycle has changed from building a sustainable/strong foundation to reaping the rewards of what you have built and pursuing the climb to the top of the mountain. We may never get there (the Ravens have only been twice in almost 25 years and I don’t agree with everything they do either but I can’t honestly ask them to pursue excellence in a more diligent way). That is what I want from the O’s. Not a half way effort that involves never being willing to take risk or being extremely dogmatic about “budget ball” (like the Rays).

I don’t think that this will be the case because when I look at Rubenstien what I see is an older guy (with extremely deep pockets) who cares about a World Series like I do (Joe Blow the fan). For me personally there is a since of being in this together that I get/feel from that. I never felt that Angelos (especially the son) cared all that much, as long as the checks cleared and the cash register rang seemed to be his main interest objectives.

After a while, the frustration of “having the football pulled away” gets old and it is not a pleasant enough experience to me going through that over and over. I don’t want to hear an entertainment company reinforce the message over and over “you can’t have nice things like many other paying customers of other brands/companies”. That would be like Disney /Pixar/name movie studio tell its customers, “hey, we’re not going to try to hard or spend too much to make a great product/movie like other companies. But we are still going to charge full prices and as much as the other studios do for their movies”. That would be insane.

I think Rubenstien is much smarter than that. Elias can only work with the tools that he is given/allowed to have. That is why I am so hopeful now because the Orioles finally seem to be in the hands of somebody who cares and has the means and will to support us pursuing a championship wholeheartedly.

14 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Just having a bit of fun with the notion that starting Kremer in the playoffs would be a “travesty.” It’s less than ideal, but I think that’s a bit of an oversell. Especially since we have legitimate depth behind Kremer. A Kremer-Irvin piggyback, for example, would be a reasonably competitive matchup against all but the very best SP3s.

Hopefully Bradish is able to get back. That’s the simplest and (by far) cheapest answer to this question. I guess we’ll know before 7/31 whether that’s on the table or not.

When you have undergone an extreme tank and have managed to ascertain dynasty assets through that painful process. There should be no season (save for a doomsday scenario) where the acceptable bar should be “reasonably competitive matchup” especially when the season could be on the line. Didn’t we just do that unsuccessfully last year? About how many of the Gunnar Adley years is is acceptable for you to have that as a goal?

Next year is year 4 for Adley, 3 for Gunnar. And if don’t resign it is most likely that this is the best that it will probably ever get or at least for a long time for the O’s to win the ultimate prize. It is very unlikely that we find equivalent replacements/talents for both of those incredibly special players.

1 hour ago, Bemorewins said:

Well there appears to be a very big difference between you and I. I am not nor will I ever be polytheistic. I do not believe in the baseball gods. Just one God for me.

Okay.  Fair enough.  Only one final thought from me then as we retire to our respective corners...

There's only one thing that angers the baseball gods more than hubris, and that's conflating your desires with the motives of those who actually make the decisions.

We are seeing tonight (and I'm afraid we will see the rest of this series) that our back-end starters are not quite ready for the spotlight.  To be clear, I think we can make the playoffs with some subset of Suarez, Povich, Irvin and Kremer in the rotation.  They will keep us in the game most of the time, especially against the weaker teams.  But when it comes to the playoffs, the O's need at least one more top-line starter in the rotation to go with Burnes and Rodriguez. 

Hopefully a few more teams will clearly drop out of contention over the next 6 weeks as the current options are not great--Crochet is a good target to pursue over the offseason but he's going to run out of innings before October and Luzardo doesn't look like a top line pitcher this year.  

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, RVAOsFan said:

I still think Verlander was coming to Baltimore last year until the Astros made a last minute trade offer. 

If Houston is out of it, they would essentially be dumping salary correct?

6 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I would have wanted Verlander in the past, but I'm not sure about him now.  I am curious though to see how much salary Rubenstein is willing to take on for a trade/rental for player who can still contribute.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/justin-verlander-434378

image.thumb.png.9e37237ab49f5de1edcf4023f8bd0889.png

8 minutes ago, ScGO's said:

I just did a quick search and he has a player option if he meets an innings minimum this year. So they may want him back for next year? Trading him certainly seems possible though. For what, I have no idea