Norby and Vespi coming up?

Bird Lady

4 minutes ago, interloper said:

Again, Hyde uttered the words "concussion protocol" in his post-game press conference last night. That's an automatic 7-day IL.

It's Mateo! 

Sheesh. 

This is likely but concussion protocol does not mean you have a concussion.

In looking things up, I don’t see anything that says good through testing means you have to go on the IL. 

You go on the concussion IL if you are diagnosed with a concussion.

Not saying you are wrong but I have yet to see anything that says you are right.

14 minutes ago, interloper said:

It's an automatic 7-day IL though, no? 

Depends on the tests.  If they show a concussion, then yes.  At least, that’s how I read it.  Anyway from the sound of things today, Mateo appears to be headed to the concussion IL.

7 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Also, if a player is recalled within 20 days of being sent down, it doesn’t count as an option.  The player gets credit for all the service time in the intervening period.  Here’s Vespi’s travels:

3/20 optioned to minors

3/28 recalled, so 3/20 option doesn’t count 

3/30 optioned to minors, counts as first one.

5/22 recalled

5/23 optioned

5/24 recalled, so 5/23 option doesn’t count 

5/27 optioned

6/3 Apparently recalled, so 5/27 option won’t count.

So in sum, though Vespi has been sent to the minors 4 times, I believe only one of those has counted towards his limit of 5 options in one season.  He will have gotten major league service time from 3/28-3/30 and 5/22-6/2, plus whatever he accrues from today forward.   

Never knew this part, thanks. If this is how it works it's hard to imagine the scenario where a player would actually get to that 6th option and get waived.

6 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

Never knew this part, thanks. If this is how it works it's hard to imagine the scenario where a player would actually get to that 6th option and get waived.

It’s possible, but not all that likely.  It certainly couldn’t occur until sometime after the all star break.  

I'm glad to see Norby called up and I hope he actually gets some playing time this week.  He potentially has a role on this team even if Mateo is healthy--the O's need another right-handed hitter with some juice in their bat.  

I wish Vespi the best, but we've seen this movie before.  Viera or Akin for Vespi feels like rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.   He's not a pitcher you want to see if you're trying to protect a lead in a close game.  The O's need to make a "real" trade for bullpen help, preferably right-handed.  

55 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

That makes sense. When we called Vespi up for the DH it likely didn’t count. 

I’m guessing,

Norby up for Mateo on 7 day IL concussion list

Vespi up for one of Akin/Tate just to deload Akin a bit. 

I wouldn’t be surprised if it is Viera though. But I think we want to take a chance on that arm. Can we afford to?

That arm isn't anything special, we're not talking a Fuji-type arm and we remember how the Fuji debacle turned out.

40 minutes ago, Frobby said:

Also, if a player is recalled within 20 days of being sent down, it doesn’t count as an option.  The player gets credit for all the service time in the intervening period.  Here’s Vespi’s travels:

3/20 optioned to minors

5/22 recalled

5/23 optioned

5/27 optioned

So in sum, though Vespi has been sent to the minors 4 times, I believe only one of those has counted towards his limit of 5 options in one season.  He will have gotten major league service time from 3/28-3/30 and 5/22-6/2, plus whatever he accrues from today forward.   

Have you considered running for president? I hear there’s going to be an opening.

39 minutes ago, Frobby said:

3/20 optioned to minors

5/22 recalled

5/23 optioned

5/27 optioned

I can't find this 20 day rule, but Spotrac (https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/player/transactions/_/id/74487/nick-vespi) only shows the options for 3/30, 5/23 and 5/27. It doesn't mention this 3/20 optioning. It also doesn't mention cancelling out up-and-downs  in late May.

1 hour ago, gamiliel said:

Yeah, Cedric viciously hit Mateo on the head with his bat. But the roster spot open is Mullins' not Mateo. Mullins is being charged with assault and battery. The story will become public soon...

Seems your making stuff up 

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40263815/orioles-jorge-mateo-concussion-protocol-bat-strikes-head

it appears accidental….not malicious 

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, eddie83 said:

Can’t wait until people get mad when Norby doesn’t play every game. 

Perhaps Vespi is a taxi squad guy? Just in case they want to make a move he is already there. 

I just wanna know why we bring up guys who play every day at AAA only to ride thd bench up here. Give these guys a chance like they the did with Holliday and if they suck send them down. At this point they're wasting the careers of guys like Stowers and Kjerstad. If you dot believe in them, trade them for pitching.

• Upvote 1

27 minutes ago, SilverRocket said:

I can't find this 20 day rule, but Spotrac (https://www.spotrac.com/mlb/player/transactions/_/id/74487/nick-vespi) only shows the options for 3/30, 5/23 and 5/27. It doesn't mention this 3/20 optioning. It also doesn't mention cancelling out up-and-downs  in late May.

My source for the dates of the options is the Orioles.com transactions page

I'm going to retract what I said about the 20 day rule, as I had misremembered it.  What it actually says is: 

"If a Player is optionally assigned for a total of less than 20 days in one championship season, the Player shall be credited with Major League service during the period of such optional assignment(s); provided, however, that a Player shall not be credited with Major League service under this provision if the Player had zero days of Major League serv ice in the current season prior to the optional assignment and after the optional assignment was unconditionally released or assigned outright and not subsequently added to the Active List for the remainder of the championship season."

So forget what I said about that.  Now, what I am not sure about is whether Vespi's recall to be the 27th man in St. Louis due to the suspended game counts towards his option total.   The answer to that isn't found in the CBA, but in a document called "Major League Rules" that used to be public, but apparently no longer is.   I am not talking about the document that describes the rules of play, but another document that contains, for example, the details of the "Rule 4 draft" and the "Rule 5 draft."

11 minutes ago, gtman55 said:

I just wanna know why we bring up guys who play every day at AAA only to ride thd bench up here. Give these guys a chance like they the did with Holliday and if they suck send them down. At this point they're wasting the careers of guys like Stowers and Kjerstad. If you dot believe in them, trade them for pitching.

They bring them up because we need to have guys on the bench available to pinch hit, pinch run, substitute for injured players, or give somebody a rest.   It's not a matter of not believing in them.  Some will get chances to start and some won't.   Just because a guy is starting every day in AAA doesn't mean he should get a chance to start every day (or even most to the time) in the majors.

• Upvote 1