Norby and Vespi coming up?

Bird Lady

Posted (edited)

I usually am very supportive of the Orioles front office, but the fact they tried to hide Vieira on the roster for this past week when everyone else knew he needed to go may have cost them that game yesterday. 

Edited by Bird Lady
  • Upvote 2

Norby #12 nice.

Norby v. Urias might have the flavor of a live tryout while Mateo heals.

Norby does offer more as a RH OF alternative if he looks good to stay up when Mateo is ready to return, and many of us have considered some chance Urias becomes a midseason trade or DFA in 2024.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

I usually am very supportive of the Orioles front office, but the fact they tried to hide Vieira on the roster for this past week when everyone else knew he needed to go may have cost them that game yesterday. 

It's hard to say given we only scored 3 runs on 15 hits. I'm putting it on the offense.

• Upvote 2

Just now, Orioles Jim said:

Do they do hype videos for the guys they promote but don’t actually play?

Hey, it's more than Ortiz got! I still sort of expect him to go right back down in 7 days. I don't really think he's going to provide more value than Mateo anyway in the short term. 

39 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

It will be interesting to see how they handle Norby. Norby can play 2B and corner outfield, but he's a below average defender at 2B. 

The Orioles history suggest Norby will be a bench guy for now with Urias slotting in at 3B and Westburg at 2B mostly while Mateo is out.

Saying that, Norby give the Orioles a good right-handed bat off the bench and a guy who could spell Mullins with Cowser slotting over to CF. 

The question is whether Norby will get some Hays PAs? 

I'd personally like to just drop him at 2B and keep Westburg at 3B with Urias on the bench, but that would not be how the Orioles typically break in non "impact" rookies. 

Either way, this is a well earned major league debut for Norby. Here's to hoping he's given a chance to play a bit. 

Tony do you think Norby can handle Camden Yards LF or is he more of a home RF?

13 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

They clearly see some value in him to give him an opportunity and wanted to work with him to see if they can make a slight change but were hoping to get a chance in a game that was not close.  The bullpen was in pretty good shape coming off the off day and they figured we could keep working with him on the side and not need to bring him in unless it was mop up duty.  The problem was we got 5 innings and 2 innings from our two starters the two previous nights.  Last nights loss was on Bradish last night just as much for not even giving us 3 innings.  The bullpen is the weak spot now and with no real long man because Suarez is having to start we can't have starters going 5 innings or less, especially your top guys.  

• Upvote 1

Does anyone think Norby is going to get any starts at 2B?   I say he’s lucky to get one over the next week.  I think he’s simply here as insurance.  An emergency replacement if Westburg or Urias go down to injury in a game.  Same thing in the outfield.  He might get some PH opportunities against LHP.   I’m guessing one start.  I’m not sure where.

1 minute ago, RZNJ said:

Does anyone think Norby is going to get any starts at 2B?   I say he’s lucky to get one over the next week.  I think he’s simply here as insurance.  An emergency replacement if Westburg or Urias go down to injury in a game.  Same thing in the outfield.  He might get some PH opportunities against LHP.   I’m guessing one start.  I’m not sure where.

Said it earlier, I think with Urias's numbers vs Gausman he could start there tonight.

Just now, RZNJ said:

No. I'm not sure why he would start over Urias, who has faced a lot of these division pitchers before. We're desperately trying to catch the Yankees and Norby learning ML pitchers he's never seen before on the fly during a stretch of divisional games is not doing anything for us.