Which minor leaguers would you be ok trading?

DocJJ

53 minutes ago, DocJJ said:

Depending on Coulombe's injury, we may need 2 or even 3 relievers- and good ones...  

I'd keep:

Holliday, Basallo, Mayo, and Kjerstad.

I'd be ok trading:

Norby, Beavers, Bradfield, and anyone else...

Thoughts?

Agree on yours but not trading Bradfield as i see him as a key outfield replacement with Mullins/Santander soon to likely be gone.  Cowser-Bradfield-Kjerstad/Hays/Mayo

9 minutes ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

If the O's made a Soto type trade, it would severely deplete the farm.  A team like the Dodgers or Yankees can fill in a bunch of holes with expensive free agents, the O's can't.  I'm not talking about ending our window next year, but maybe could put us in a situation where our farm is depleted in 3 or 4 years.  This is what the "experts" call trying to win.  I think Elias is way too smart for that.

We do not need to spend money like the Yankees or Dodger. But we are going to have to spend real money and we absolutely should.

If you want to keep the window open, you extend great young stars like Henderson and Rutschman. 

Lastly, what Soto trade is out there for us to make, that makes any kind of reasonable/rational sense for us? IMO we don't need a star like Soto. What we need are one probably two very good back end relievers.

Will it cost talent in order to acquire talent? Probably. However, it will probably not cost a Soto like haul as positional players and then starting pitchers (the kind of players that we don't need in 24') are valued more than relievers typically.

50 minutes ago, ShoelesJoe said:

Depends on the return. Not that it would ever happen, but would anybody here turn down a proposed Holliday for Skenes trade? I wouldn't. But realistically, considering the players likely to be available, I'd want to hold on to the big three of Holliday, Basallo, and Mayo because I doubt we'll be offered anything like their total value coming back. 

No,  I would not trade Holiday for Skenes.  Two reasons being 1) pitchers get injured so often now that it makes me hesitate to trade a Holiday for one,  even one as good as Skenes and 2) in general I value an everyday player who can impact 160 games a year more than a pitcher who will likely only pitch in 30-40 games a year.   I'd love to have Skenes, and would trade a bunch for him,  but not Holiday straight up.

Edited by forphase1
Spelling

2 hours ago, forphase1 said:

No,  I would not trade Holiday for Skenes.  Two reasons being 1) pitchers get injured so often now that it makes me hesitate to trade a Holiday for one,  even one as good as Skenes and 2) in general I value an everyday player who can impact 160 games a year more than a pitcher who will likely only pitch in 30-40 games a year.   I'd love to have Skenes, and would trade a bunch for him,  but not Holiday straight up.

I'm gonna go with the small MLB sample size on this one, and pull the trigger.
(Not that the Pirates would do it...).

Push comes to shove, I think I prefer Mayo and Basallo and even Kjerstad, in that order. 

Depends on what the return was. I'd might even consider trading Holliday if it meant getting a player like Paul Skenes. We already have plenty of middle infielders so we wouldn't take that much of a hit and this comment is purely about supply and scarcity. Our current starting shortstop is already the superstar short stop we hope Jackson Holliday will become.

Do Stowers, Norby, and Povich, count as “minor leaguers” right now?  Stowers and Povich are helping the big club. Norby is the next man up possibly at IF/OF.

McDermott might not be too far behind to get a chance to pitch in relief. Especially with Tate being optioned, and having to stay down 10-15 days. McDermott could be right there with Krook as to who the next reliever would be to get a call if we send down one of Baker/Akin for a fresh arm. 

Overall, we gotta remove Holliday, Basallo, and Mayo from trade talks. Probably Stowers, Norby, Povich, and McDermott.

Unless we’re trading for Mason Miller, we still should be able to buy pieces we want. A rental bat like JD Martinez and/or two relief arms like Ottavino and Yimi Garcia. 

No way in hell: Holliday, Basallo

Maybe as part of the package for a top starting pitcher with multiple years of control: Mayo

Everyone else is on the table for the right player, though there are a few like DeLeon where I think their value in a trade is going to be much lower than keeping them.

One thing to consider is who has to be added to our 40 man roster this offseason?  Prieto and Rom were both spare parts that had 40 man issues. Rom was on the 40 man. Prieto was going to have to be added. 

Stowers, Norby, Povich, Hunt, and Zimmerman, are all on our 40 man roster.  

Zimmerman could be this year’s Drew Rom at the deadline.

McDermott, Ambruester, Cook, Handley, Strowd, Rhodes, and Pham, aren’t on the 40 man but would be rule 5 eligible. They wouldn’t all be taken in a rule 5 draft, but that could provide insights on the player pool that gets dealt. 

We have plenty of spare parts to buy a rental reliever or two. We’d probably have to part with McDermott, or a low level arm like DeLeon for top setup man/closer rental. 

25 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

One thing to consider is who has to be added to our 40 man roster this offseason?  Prieto and Rom were both spare parts that had 40 man issues. Rom was on the 40 man. Prieto was going to have to be added. 

Stowers, Norby, Povich, Hunt, and Zimmerman, are all on our 40 man roster.  

Zimmerman could be this year’s Drew Rom at the deadline.

McDermott, Ambruester, Cook, Handley, Strowd, Rhodes, and Pham, aren’t on the 40 man but would be rule 5 eligible. They wouldn’t all be taken in a rule 5 draft, but that could provide insights on the player pool that gets dealt. 

We have plenty of spare parts to buy a rental reliever or two. We’d probably have to part with McDermott, or a low level arm like DeLeon for top setup man/closer rental. 

Drew Rom was a 23 year old top 20 prospect in baseball's best farm system. Zimmermann is a 29 year old in the minors without major league or AAA success to his name. Career AAA WHIP is pushing 1.5. I'm surprised he's stayed on the 40-man this long. He is a guy you call up for a double header or as a 2 day injury replacement or a bullpen day cause he throws strikes. 

• Upvote 3

28 minutes ago, ChosenOne21 said:

No way in hell: Holliday, Basallo

Maybe as part of the package for a top starting pitcher with multiple years of control: Mayo

Everyone else is on the table for the right player, though there are a few like DeLeon where I think their value in a trade is going to be much lower than keeping them.

Pretty much this, although I’ll add I think they need to keep 2 of the 3 lefty corner OF: Kjerstad, Beavers, Stowers, in that order of preference. Cowser may end up playing a fair amount of CF. 

To a lesser degree than De Leon, I also like Forret, Bright, Brandon Young, Kade Strowd, Etzel and Fabian more than I think we’d get back in trade value and would prefer to keep them. 

While Norby is certainly a trade chip, I don’t think the Orioles need to trade him to the same degree many do - I think he’s a great fit as a bench/depth guy for this team with 2B/LF flexibility and a righty bat. He may get stuck in AAA more than he deserves while he has options if there aren’t injuries, but Urias and Mateo aren’t going to be around much longer (even if not traded) and so there will definitely be space for him when he’s out of options.

The only guys I’d be “trying” to trade are the pitchers with 40 man implications - Johnson because he’s already burned some options, and Chace, Portes, Nunez, Pham, Brnovich and Tavera, because they will be Rule 5 eligible this offseason and I think we won’t add them to the 40-man. None are likely to stick on a MLB roster next year, but it’s one less decision to make. Of course, these guys are all like 3rd or 4th names to fill out a trade package, they’ll have to give up better prospects I haven’t mentioned to bring back somebody worthwhile. 

10 hours ago, OriolesMagic83 said:

I would be ok trading anyone but Holliday, Mayo and Basallo.  If the O's trade Kjerstad, they need to bring back someone with multiple years of control.

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

I’m not trading Holliday, Mayo or Basallo. I would prefer to keep DeLeon, Sosa and Liranzo.

Trade anyone else without a thought if the right deal is there.

Those would be my untouchables as well, but let's understand that that probably takes someone like Mason Miller off the table. 

2 minutes ago, Aristotelian said:

Those would be my untouchables as well, but let's understand that that probably takes someone like Mason Miller off the table. 

That’s fine.  I wouldn’t even remotely consider trading any of those guys for Miller.

That said, I don’t buy that Kjerstad can’t lead a Miller deal.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

That’s fine.  I wouldn’t even remotely consider trading any of those guys for Miller.

That said, I don’t buy that Kjerstad can’t lead a Miller deal.

Value wise Kjerstad definitely could lead a Miller deal. But I think the A’s will want younger prospects given how far away they are from competing. Kjerstad will be 28+ by the earliest realistic time they could be competitive, so it’s not a great match. Kjerstad would make more sense for a team like the Brewers trading for Ortiz and Hall.