What does the Bradish injury really mean?

Sports Guy

38 minutes ago, Bird Lady said:

I'm sure that Elias has had a Plan WB... without Bradish...drawn up since the season began if not before. He isn't stupid, and knew this was a real possibility. I do not for see any desperate actions at all.

We should still be able to get a WC spot. Then who knows in the playoffs. I'd still focus on the bullpen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, wildcard said:

40% through this season Albert Suarez has shown he can compete with anyone.  The O's are giving him better game planning, catchers, defense and coaching than he has ever had.    He has shown he can make a lot of starts and pitch a lot of innings.   He is the one to watch to step in for Bradish IMO.

I agree. Suarez has been a season saver so far. To find a starter basically off the scrap heap is pretty darn good/lucky.

• Upvote 2

26 minutes ago, gamiliel said:

Yeah and when he hit 99, 98 on the gun yesterday I thought, "I hope he isn't over doing it."

Or that the extra juice was partly due to a momentary little extra UCL looseness before it finally gave.

Now feels like the Felix spot last Labor Day.      The championship calendars do maybe ask some more urgency - we knew Labor Day Felix would be Opening Day 2025 and investing a month in hoping the club could get 8 more good games in October 2023 had more upside than downside.

The internal brace seems to be gaining instances relative to full TJ but even with full TJ if he ends up having a procedure in ~10 days a typical timeline is in time for the end of 2025.     Granted as we saw with Means no assurances even 14-15 months later the pitcher is good.

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

With Bradish coming out early shaking arm and telling Hyde his elbow hurt, I think it’s safe to say he’s in real trouble of finishing this season and maybe not even pitching in 2025.

When the Os traded for Burnes, they added a legit ace level guy and more importantly, gave us 3 really good starters to go into October with.

Now, we are back to 2 and back to having to go with guys like Kremer and Irvin in the playoffs.

So, what do the Os do about this?  

Right now, the best starters likely available are Luzardo and Crochet..2 guys with huge question marks and 2 guys who may not even be around come October.

The worst part is that this could make them desperate enough to trade Mayo or Basallo and I think that would be a huge mistake.

Can't they promote McDermott? At least give him a try? Where is Elias?

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Correct.  He’s obviously going on the IL and will, at best, be out for some time for his elbow to “calm down”.

And even if we get really lucky, it’s another sign that we can’t rely on him to be here in October.

The best most likely scenario is they can nurse his elbow back and forth all season on the IL and have him for October for a few starts.

Then have him undergo TJ surgery which would put him out all off 2025,, but with a potential return in October on 2025. 

It's sad but not surprising with the way these guys are dropping like flies around baseball. 

I wonder if the lack of grip due to not having sticky stuff available is a contributing factor since these guys are trying to create spin with great velocity.

Just now, oriolediehard said:

Can't they promote McDermott? At least give him a try? Where is Elias?

McDermott is probably the next guy up to be given a shot if they need a starter. For now I think they'll go back to a 5-man rotation and Povich is here to stay.

12 minutes ago, Just Regular said:

Or that the extra juice was partly due to a momentary little extra UCL looseness before it finally gave.

Now feels like the Felix spot last Labor Day.      The championship calendars do maybe ask some more urgency - we knew Labor Day Felix would be Opening Day 2025 and investing a month in hoping the club could get 8 more good games in October 2023 had more upside than downside.

The internal brace seems to be gaining instances relative to full TJ but even with full TJ if he ends up having a procedure in ~10 days a typical timeline is in time for the end of 2025.     Granted as we saw with Means no assurances even 14-15 months later the pitcher is good.

I assume the tear would have to be less severe to go the brace route, but it would be interesting to see what criteria determines whether the brace is an acceptable option vs. having Tommy John.

9 minutes ago, Tony-OH said:

The best most likely scenario is they can nurse his elbow back and forth all season on the IL and have him for October for a few starts.

Then have him undergo TJ surgery which would put him out all off 2025,, but with a potential return in October on 2025. 

It's sad but not surprising with the way these guys are dropping like flies around baseball. 

I wonder if the lack of grip due to not having sticky stuff available is a contributing factor since these guys are trying to create spin with great velocity.

I can't remember who is was but a SP did say that due to the lack of sticky stuff he's having to grip the ball harder and he feels the stress in his elbow on certain pitches. I wanna say it was Glasnow, but not 100% sure. Gonna try to find it.

1 minute ago, spleen1015 said:

I can't remember who is was but a SP did say that due to the lack of sticky stuff he's having to grip the ball harder and he feels the stress in his elbow on certain pitches. I wanna say it was Glasnow, but not 100% sure. Gonna try to find it.

Here it is. This is from 2021, but he was brought up again in early April when many pitchers started going down for TJ surgery.

If Bradish is out for TJ, then I'd trade anyone for the right SP with 2+ years of control. We're going to need to replace Bradish for the rest of this year and some of next. Chances are pretty high that Burnes hits FA. So, we need 2 TOR SP next year.

I think a proven SP helps us more than waiting to see what type of MLBer any of the prospects will be.

• Upvote 1