How important is this Yankees series, really?

Frobby

10 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

In that little league of a stadium I don't feel relaxed until it's a 10 run lead. All you need is a few cheap home runs from Soto, Judge and Stanton and boom it's a ballgame again.

The thing is though, our offense is better. So yes they have those 3. But we have a litany of guys who are excellent. So if it gets into an offense contest or a home run contest we will win that too!

We have scored more runs and hit more homers than them on the season. And they have played 3 more games.

These 7 games have showed, we are just better.

13 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I do not see how Trevino is some amazing defensive catcher.  The Sox ran all over him, so did we and we did it relatively easily.

Pitch blocking, sure.  I bet he's fine.  And I know that stealing bases doesn't all rest on the shoulders of the catcher but he looks like a Little Leaguer throwing.

I do believe Volpe is a good defender.

Jose Trevino really doesn't want robo umps.     fWAR 2022-2024 thinks he has been MLB's most valuable defender despite having like half the plate appearances of the top shortstops.

The end of Chris Hoiles' catching career is still a vivid memory, and it'll be interesting to see what the coming months look like for Trevino.    It is also a strong memory when Frank Robinson cried when he tried to nurse one extra game out of an old catcher whose arm was gone, and it didn't work out.

So we're in good shape for grabbing the division title spot, but I think the bigger issue to keep in mind is the Wild Card race, now at +9.5 games over Boston and 13.5 games ahead of Tampa. It means we have some breathing room to (a) continue giving chances to slumping vets or struggling rookies; (b) continue juggling rotation spots to cover for Bradish, Means, Wells; (c) continue finding ways to win without selling off the farm for pitching replacements. The biggest question mark as always is how will the bullpen hold up?

Edited by now

11 hours ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

In that little league of a stadium I don't feel relaxed until it's a 10 run lead. All you need is a few cheap home runs from Soto, Judge and Stanton and boom it's a ballgame again.

You aren’t kidding!  What a bandbox.

14 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

I do not see how Trevino is some amazing defensive catcher.  The Sox ran all over him, so did we and we did it relatively easily.

Pitch blocking, sure.  I bet he's fine.  And I know that stealing bases doesn't all rest on the shoulders of the catcher but he looks like a Little Leaguer throwing.

I do believe Volpe is a good defender.

I really don’t understand what happened with Trevino in the last few days.   Going into the final Boston game, he’d only allowed 19 steals all year, and had thrown out 9, a well above-average ratio.   Then in two days he allows 13 SB and only catches 1.   That’s bizarre, like it got into his head or something.   Anyway, thank Boston for softening him up.   

1 hour ago, Frobby said:

I really don’t understand what happened with Trevino in the last few days.   Going into the final Boston game, he’d only allowed 19 steals all year, and had thrown out 9, a well above-average ratio.   Then in two days he allows 13 SB and only catches 1.   That’s bizarre, like it got into his head or something.   Anyway, thank Boston for softening him up.   

One of the steals last night (Gunnar I think), he was halfway to 3rd when the pitcher threw it.  I didn't see them all, but may not all be on him if that's how they've been holding runners.

I will admit to only watching limited games of Soto but from what I see he is a nightmare in right field.  I remember hearing there are two kinds of outfielders "ones that make plays and ones that just run over and pick the ball up and throw it back in"  Soto is the later.  The dude just sucks in the field.  Shockingly bad.  

In the old days before Sabermetrics people would say in the dominican "you cant walk yourself off the Island" meaning you had to hit the ball.  Soto must of been told you cant field your way off the Island because he is miserable out there.  

20 minutes ago, oriolediehard said:

It seems like only the O's, Red Sox and Dodgers play the Yankees hard.  I hope the Braves, Phillies and the Guardians play the Yankees hard.

I can’t see why Braves , Phillies & Guardians would be intimidated by Yankees . I wonder what those three teams are thinking & planning against Yankees ?   One thing I would do is tell the runners to challenge Trevino 

• 3 weeks later...

So, reflecting back on our last series with the Yankees, in hindsight you could say it was very important, or not important at all.  Certainly the Yankees have had much bigger problems recently than losing 2 of 3 to the Orioles.  Their slide actually started with a 2-1 series loss to Boston just before the Orioles series, and beginning with that Boston series they’ve lost 8 series in a row, going 7-17 in that span.  The 2-1 series loss to the O’s was just a small part of that debacle.

Although the O’s won that series, the momentum didn’t last, as the O’s lost their next 5 games.  They’ve been inconsistent since then, going 8-11 following the Yankee series.   

So in my book, the June Yankee series wasn’t all that important in the scheme of things.   It’s been drowned out by what’s happened since.  

Now we come to this July series.   Honestly, this one feels much more important to me.   Both teams badly need to stop their tailspins, and only one of them will.  One team is going to go into the All Star Break very unhappy.   Nothing will be insurmountable, but I’d much rather go into the ASB with a 3+ game lead and some forward momentum, than somewhere between one game ahead and one game behind.  And don’t forget, our mediocre play of late has brought Boston (5.5 games back) into the race, whereas they were an afterthought at the time of the June series.   

So, let’s win this series and get moving in the right direction again.  

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Frobby said:

So, reflecting back on our last series with the Yankees, in hindsight you could say it was very important, or not important at all.  Certainly the Yankees have had much bigger problems recently than losing 2 of 3 to the Orioles.  Their slide actually started with a 2-1 series loss to Boston just before the Orioles series, and beginning with that Boston series they’ve lost 8 series in a row, going 7-17 in that span.  The 2-1 series loss to the O’s was just a small part of that debacle.

Although the O’s won that series, the momentum didn’t last, as the O’s lost their next 5 games.  They’ve been inconsistent since then, going 8-11 following the Yankee series.   

So in my book, the June Yankee series wasn’t all that important in the scheme of things.   It’s been drowned out by what’s happened since.  

Now we come to this July series.   Honestly, this one feels much more important to me.   Both teams badly need to stop their tailspins, and only one of them will.  One team is going to go into the All Star Break very unhappy.   Nothing will be insurmountable, but I’d much rather go into the ASB with a 3+ game lead and some forward momentum, than somewhere between one game ahead and one game behind.  And don’t forget, our mediocre play of late has brought Boston (5.5 games back) into the race, whereas they were an afterthought at the time of the June series.   

So, let’s win this series and get moving in the right direction again.  

I would LOVE us to take 2 of 3, but I'll take 1 at this point.   I know it's temporary, but this team seems pathetic in all three phases of the game right now.

On 6/18/2024 at 12:29 PM, Frobby said:

The O’s come into the Bronx 47-24, three wins behind the 50-24 Yankees but tied in the loss column.  Possible outcomes:

Yankees sweep Orioles and are 4.5 games up, 3 in the loss column.  

Yankees win series 2-1 and are 2.5 games up, 1 in the loss column.

Yankees lose series 2-1 and are 0.5 games up, but 1 down in the loss column.  

Yankees are swept by Orioles and are 1.5 games down, 3 in the loss column.  

Any way you slice it, the Orioles will have 88 games left to play after this series, and the Yankees 85.   The teams will play each other 6 more times, including 3 in Yankee Stadium the final week of the year.   

We could look at it this way: the O’s took 3 of 4 in the first series and took the division lead from them, and the Yankees made it pretty irrelevant by playing their butts off for the next 7 weeks.  

So, I’m not ready to say this series is no more important than any other random series, but whatever happens won’t have a huge impact on who wins the AL East.   It’s still a marathon that’s less than halfway over. 

It’s for 1st place in the division at this point. It’s not the season if it doesn’t go well. Maybe it encourages Elias to get something done sooner rather than later. 

If the O's win two out of three then they clinch the season series, I believe. That could be big since the division tiebreaker could very much be in play.

Even if the O's win just one out of three then they would just need to win one in the Bronx in September, and would go into the AS Break on top.

Mind you, I wouldn't be happy with losing two out of three, but I could live with it. Getting swept and spending all of next week on a six-game losing streak and trailing in the division would be pretty much unbearable.

It's really just not any more important than last night's game or any game this season. It would be one thing if this was 30 years ago and there was only one team going to the playoffs from the AL East but with the wild-cards it just takes away the traditional pennant race.

• Upvote 1