Thus far this season: Things I was wrong about and right about

Greg Pappas

2 hours ago, dystopia said:

TJ should have been expected for Bradish. Not Means or Wells. 

According to one of the articles I read, 84% of pitchers return successfully, but once they started having problems, it was to be expected that they would be outside that number.

It would have been prudent to expect future problems.

1 minute ago, Philip said:

According to one of the articles I read, 84% of pitchers return successfully, but once they started having problems, it was to be expected that they would be outside that number.

It would have been prudent to expect future problems.

They clearly did expect “future problems”, just not 3 pitchers going down with TJS. How exactly are you supposed to prepare for that?

We came into the Astros series having given up the fewest runs in all of MLB despite the injuries. Thats why I don’t get people complaining about Elias not getting more pitching depth. The pitching, up till this series, has been excellent overall. It does look like the Suarez bubble may be popping though. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, dystopia said:

They clearly did expect “future problems”, just not 3 pitchers going down with TJS. How exactly are you supposed to prepare for that?

We came into the Astros series having given up the fewest runs in all of MLB despite the injuries. Thats why I don’t get people complaining about Elias not getting more pitching depth. The pitching, up till this series, has been excellent overall. It does look like the Suarez bubble may be popping though. 

Yeah, and? It’s Mike’s job to anticipate reasonable problems. When Bradish had a problem that kept him out of ST, Means had a problem that set him back a month, Wells had yet another problem, that’s plenty of warning that you can’t count on a full season from any of them. Suarez was a happy surprise but not one to be counted on for a full season, Povich is a stopgap, and then who? 
the pitching has been good so far, and no mistake, but remember, it’s not just the starting five, it’s the starting ten, and Mike made no provision for what has happened, and he had enough warning to realize that it was a meaningful probability.

All the innings he expected from Means, Wells, and Bradish came with an asterisk that he discounted, and now they are all gone from the rest of the season. Yeah, pitching has been good. What about June 25 forward?

Pitching is thinking across the whole league.  AAA is supposedly a big drop in talent league wide too.  And we're at least 8 deep as viable options.  Hard to reasonably expect better than that IMO.