This team isn’t winning anything unless it trades Holliday, Bassallo or Mayo

DirtyBird

7 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I think baseball is a hot sport there.  Especially in the DR.  I completely agree.   But not sure how that relates to what I was talking about when it comes to Jackson and Bundy and being "Tigerized" by their parents.  

2 different subjects. 

Yes a lot of C and S American and DR kids play baseball.  More play soccer though.   And the reason they play those sports is because it is cheap to do in countries that are impoverished.  It doesn't cost a lot for their parents to have their kids do it.  That doesn't mean they have parents like a JH or a DB who literally spend lots of $$$ and time to groom their kids to specifically play one sport.....like a robot. 

It also doesn't doesn't mean any meaningful % of those kids the will ever make the major leagues.   Minors yes?  Majors?   That remains to be seen. 

Baseball is the most popular sport in:

Japan

Cuba

Dominican Republic

Palau

Panama

Puerto Rico

Taiwan

Venesula

2 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

White Americans?  Playing a major sport?  Besides hockey, which btw is mainly Canadian and Euro whites, name another major sport that is anywhere close to %'s like that?

Pro tip.

There isn't.

Golf.

Nascar.

Formula One.

Tennis.

Edited by Can_of_corn
  • Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

You talked about burnout and kids playing one sport and how it’s bad for you.  You keep talking about soccer.  Sure, the great majority of these DR players never make it, just like 99% of the white kids with there personal hitting and pitching coaches and travel ball from the time they’re 9 years old never make it.

Kids in the DR with any ability quit school, enter these baseball academies and play baseball 12 months a year.  It’s a cheap gold mine for ML teams if you’ve got the connections and an eye for talent.  It’s no fad.  It’s as strong as ever.  5 of the top 20 prospects in BA are Latin born.  I listed a bunch of young superstars.  

Two separate arguments.  One, the DR kids don’t seem to have burnout.   Two, the Latin American baseball market is as hot as ever.

What about all the kids world-wide that play nothing but soccer?  Wouldn't they have the same issues?  The kids in India that play nothing but Cricket.

6 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

In what world is 17 (or 19)/26 almost all?

I will give you one...golf.  Lots of white or in Tiger's case mixed....Americans play that and dominate. 

But even my wife, who is Asian, has commented on the fact that she thinks it is 'odd' that so many of the O's players are white American guys.  You just don't see that in many sports these days except for like I said....golf.  Maybe tennis. 

3 hours ago, Moose Milligan said:

The DirtyBird reactive thread cause we just got swept is a doozy.

200w.gif

After starting the thread that this series would be difficult, yet he expected a sweep?

I'm shocked his thread starting ability hasn't been revoked.  

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

LoL.  Yeah, Irvin #3 couldn’t go 5.  GRod #2 got blown out.  Burnes was ok but not a stopper, Suarez is trending towards a pumpkin, Kremer is getting bombed in rehab, and the offense was totally shut down Saturday and Sunday.   And we still went 6-6 against Atlanta, Philly, Yanks, and a resurgent Astros team.  It’s called a bump or maybe a valley.  Try not to panic.  Wait, I’m too late.

It really shows how well this team has played the last three years, that a 3 game losing streak feels like an 8 game losing streak to some. 

1 minute ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I will give you one...golf.  Lots of white or in Tiger's case mixed....Americans play that and dominate. 

But even my wife, who is Asian, has commented on the fact that she thinks it is 'odd' that so many of the O's players are white American guys.  You just don't see that in many sports these days except for like I said....golf.  Maybe tennis. 

28% of MLB players are foreign born.

That's a lot.

As for why such a high percentage of the US players are white?  From what I've read that's mostly travel ball.

• Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, Can_of_corn said:

Golf.

Nascar.

Formula One.

Tennis.

NASCAR yes.  But I mean that is sport ingrained so much in white Southern America.  It really is a niche.

Formula one is almost all foreign.

Golf and tennis I agree as I said above.

Just now, OnlyOneOriole said:

NASCAR yes.  But I mean that is sport ingrained so much in white Southern America.  It really is a niche.

Formula one is almost all foreign.

Golf and tennis I agree as I said above.

You included Europeans with hockey right?

2 minutes ago, ledzepp8 said:

It really shows how well this team has played the last three years, that a 3 game losing streak feels like an 8 game losing streak to some. 

Well the folks that worry about a three game losing streak mostly weren't posting during the down years.

• Upvote 1

I'll give you another pro sport. 

Pro Bowling haha.

Speaking of which, I need to leave to go bowl with my wife in our Sunday night 6 PM league.

Good talk.  Nice to have good convo with differing opinions without anyone getting personal.