Kjerstad On The Way?

Bird Lady

2 minutes ago, Moose Milligan said:

They'll play him tonite, IIRC they play all the call-ups the first day they're up...or in this case, back up...and then he'll sit until the weekend or something.

Yeah, I'm just curious about who he's going to start over. I'd think Hays won't be in the lineup, but we'll see Santander and Mullins I'm sure.

6 minutes ago, Malike said:

I'll be interested to see if he starts tonight over Cowser against Bibee, who dominates with offspeed but has a bad fastball.

They're going to overload the lineup with lefties because Bibee is especially poor against them. I guess the big question becomes whether they trust Kjerstad in LF. I could see them go with Cowser (LF), Mullins (CF), Kjerstad (RF), Santander (DH), and O'Hearn (1B).

• Upvote 2

I would think it's Cowser who's going to take the biggest hit in playing time at least initially but it will probably end up being whoever is cold between Mullins, Hays and Cowser. 

• Upvote 1

It might be fun to see a Kjerstad-Cowser-Santander super offense outfield some night.     

Maybe not behind Povich against a contact oriented lineup.

I'll guess Kjerstad starts at least 4/7 this week as some of this may be showcasing him.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, LookitsPuck said:

Kjerstad does bring the ability to hit both righties and lefties. So I'm thinking it'll be at the expense of Cowser and a little bit of the vets.

Against righties

• LF: Cowser/Kjerstad
  • CF: Mullins
  • RF: Santander/Kjerstad

Against lefties

• LF: Kjerstad
  • CF: Hays
  • RF: Santander

Hays in CF? Oof, I dunno. 

3 minutes ago, Flash- bd said:

Hays in CF? Oof, I dunno. 

Hays looks like he's lost a step defensively to me there seems to be a noticeable difference between Hays and Cowser in LF this year. Cowser has looked ok in CF too even if Mullins is still the better glove.

16 minutes ago, Greg Pappas said:

I found this: 

Considering the quickness of the ejection and Heston's lack of protest at all, I think it's clear he said something over the line and knew it.

Edited by O's84
  • Upvote 1

4 minutes ago, O's84 said:

Considering the quickness of the ejection and Heston's lack of protest at all, I think it's clear he said something over the line and knew it.

Agreed.  I may have to if I were hit on the first pitch of my first three at bats.

Edited by Greg Pappas

26 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Hays looks like he's lost a step defensively to me there seems to be a noticeable difference between Hays and Cowser in LF this year. Cowser has looked ok in CF too even if Mullins is still the better glove.

He's lost steps going back a couple years now.  He was one of the fastest guys in the league when he came up and now he's one of the slower guys in the league.  He's had multiple leg injuries over the years and they've really taken away his athleticism.  I don't think he's been a plus defender for going on 2-3 years now and this year he looks like a decidedly below-average defender.

48 minutes ago, vab said:

I would think it's Cowser who's going to take the biggest hit in playing time at least initially but it will probably end up being whoever is cold between Mullins, Hays and Cowser. 

I think they should keep Cowser on the MLB team as sending him down imo does nothing at this point,  but I don't think it would hurt him to sit a few games and do a little reset.   Even up until the last week or so when he was struggling, he was still making good contact on a lot of balls.  But lately, other than that home run he hit last week, I think his lack of production is starting to affect him mentally.  He looks very frustrated.   

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, OnlyOneOriole said:

I think they should keep Cowser on the MLB team as sending him down imo does nothing at this point,  but I don't think it would hurt him to sit a few games and do a little reset.   Even up until the last week or so when he was struggling, he was still making good contact on a lot of balls.  But lately, other than that home run he hit last week, I think his lack of production is starting to affect him mentally.  He looks very frustrated.   

This. A reset is completely fine but based off his quality of contact up until this past week, along with his defense, he offers a higher upside than either Mullins or Hays at this point and should continue receiving AB’s. 

5 hours ago, Greg Pappas said:

What happened with this whole thing?  Kjerstad was hit on three straight at bats but got ejected?

From Roch's blog post:

“I wasn’t even saying anything to the pitcher,” Kjerstad said. “The plate umpire and I got into it a little bit in the heat of the moment. That’s part of it. What happened happened. It’s probably not my best moment or anything, but it’s part of the game. You live and you learn and you mature and you grow.”

• Thanks 1