Bring up Mayo already!!

40 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

It won’t be hard to trade Urias. Just move him for whatever and get Mayo up here.

This feels very much like the easiest path between A and B.

Urias is underutilized here, and his current role, he’s largely inconsequential to the team. The easiest and lowest risk way to get Mayo on the field is to move Urias to open up space for him. Then Mayo can get as much playing time as much as he earns — with Mateo’s reps increasing/decreasing based on how Mayo is going.

Urias has some value to a team. He appears to have been much better in a full-time role, as is the case with many/most players. He was essentially a full-time starter from the day he returned from injury in June 2021 until the day Westburg came up two years later — and he posted a 109 wRC+ during that span, when he was playing almost every day. After being moved into this current part-time role, that number has been down to an 89 wRC+. Obviously, impossible to say that full-time vs. part-time is the cause of the regression, but probably enough there to suggest it’s a factor.

The Yankees and Dodgers, of all teams, would probably plug him in as a full-time starter at 3B tomorrow. The Royals are desperate for help around Witt in the IF, with Maikel Garcia collapsing over the last month. The Diamondbacks have been watching Eugenio Suarez plow headlong into the wall that his K rate has long foretold. 

Someone would trade a little something for him tomorrow and probably start him on Friday.

• Upvote 4

6 minutes ago, e16bball said:

This feels very much like the easiest path between A and B.

Urias is underutilized here, and his current role, he’s largely inconsequential to the team. The easiest and lowest risk way to get Mayo on the field is to move Urias to open up space for him. Then Mayo can get as much playing time as much as he earns — with Mateo’s reps increasing/decreasing based on how Mayo is going.

Urias has some value to a team. He appears to have been much better in a full-time role, as is the case with many/most players. He was essentially a full-time starter from the day he returned from injury in June 2021 until the day Westburg came up two years later — and he posted a 109 wRC+ during that span, when he was playing almost every day. After being moved into this current part-time role, that number has been down to an 89 wRC+. Obviously, impossible to say that full-time vs. part-time is the cause of the regression, but probably enough there to suggest it’s a factor.

The Yankees and Dodgers, of all teams, would probably plug him in as a full-time starter at 3B tomorrow. The Royals are desperate for help around Witt in the IF, with Maikel Garcia collapsing over the last month. The Diamondbacks have been watching Eugenio Suarez plow headlong into the wall that his K rate has long foretold. 

Someone would trade a little something for him tomorrow and probably start him on Friday.

Yep. He’s a useful player. He’s not a world beater but he can probably give you .8-1.5 WAR the rest of the year and that has value.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

While I like the idea in theory I’m not sure Elias will want to move a solid veteran. Mateo definitely gives them the versatility that makes keeping Urias on the roster extraneous, but will they risk having questionable defense at 3B regularly if Mayo proves less than average? 

They can always go back to Mateo at 2B and Westburg at third.

I feel like Mateo is far more valuable as a pinch runner / defensive replacement than as an every day regular. I think Mayo starting for his bat and being replaced late by Westy / Mateo for defense is stronger than using either Urias or Mateo in the starting lineup every day.

If they aren't going to give Mayo a shot at becoming an everyday starter this year, then they need to trade him while he's at max value, particularly if they think his defense is so suspect that they won't try him as a regular at 3b in the majors. Given he's the top hitter in milb right now and before his (presumed) defensive liabilities are exposed at the major league level, this is when he's going to net the most value in trade.

To be clear - I don't want them to trade Mayo. I want him to be a fixture at 3b hitting 30 - 50 HRs a year for the next decade. But IF Elias / Hyde won't promote him and start him now (whatever the reason), then he should be traded now.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Sports Guy said:

Right.  Again, I know people get excited by the shiny object that Mateo is but he’s not an everyday player and shouldn’t be more than a spot starter, late inning defensive replacement and pinch runner.

He has a 66 wRC+ since June 1. 

I'm never excited by Mateo. When he has a good game or a hot streak, I'm almost sad (almost! - any thing that helps the O's win, I'm always happy about) because I know it simply reinforces the idea that he *might* be about to break out. I'd love to be wrong about Mateo because of his rare and valuable skillset, but I just don't buy that he's a net positive to the O's as a starter. Bench player? Yes. Starter? No.

4 hours ago, Il BuonO said:

While I like the idea in theory I’m not sure Elias will want to move a solid veteran. Mateo definitely gives them the versatility that makes keeping Urias on the roster extraneous, but will they risk having questionable defense at 3B regularly if Mayo proves less than average? 

They can always go back to Mateo at 2B and Westburg at third.

Regarding moving veterans:

I offer as Exhibit A and B, Jorge Lopez and Trey Mancini

I don't think that Elias has any issue whatsoever moving veterans if he thinks it makes the organization better.

Edited by bluedog

One of my favorite tools for considering who might trade for an O's player - baseball references WAR by Team by Position:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/team_compare.cgi

At Third Base: 

CHI -1.5

CIN -1.4

CWS  -1.4

MIA -1.3

ARI -1.0

DET -1.0

WAS -0.8

OAK -0.6

NYY -0.6

STL -0.5

KC -0.5

SAN -0.4

Only the last 4 on this list are in real playoff contention. Who makes sense as a dance partner here?

Would we do a deal with the Yankees? They also need a 1B (-1.9 WAR). Mounty + Urias for ???

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bluedog said:

I don't think that Elias has any issue whatsoever moving veterans if he thinks it makes the organization better.

Difference in trading vets from a team still in rebuild mode versus trading vets from a team with World Series aspirations.  We've not seen him trade vets since the rebuild ended.

7 hours ago, bluedog said:

Good examples but they were both on bad teams, not this team. Fwiw, I hope you're right, although

6 hours ago, bluedog said:

Looks like we may match up well with Kansas City as they need help at 1b, 3b, LF, RF & DH (all positions where we have potential surplus)

Maybe we do a 3 team deal where we get a quality prospect from KC and package them with our own prospects to get a Starter?

Lugo might be available.

I expect Mayo up in a couple weeks. It feels like Elias operates about a month behind the big clamoring of fans with these promotions. It would make the most sense for it to be for Urias, so I hope that works out. And by works out, I mean a trade that benefits the Os but also offers Ramon a decent landing spot.

16 hours ago, bluedog said:

One of my favorite tools for considering who might trade for an O's player - baseball references WAR by Team by Position:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/leagues/team_compare.cgi

At Third Base: 

CHI -1.5

CIN -1.4

CWS  -1.4

MIA -1.3

ARI -1.0

DET -1.0

WAS -0.8

OAK -0.6

NYY -0.6

STL -0.5

KC -0.5

SAN -0.4

Only the last 4 on this list are in real playoff contention. Who makes sense as a dance partner here?

Would we do a deal with the Yankees? They also need a 1B (-1.9 WAR). Mounty + Urias for ???

So how about a KC Deal 

Mountcastle, Urias, Kremer/Irvin, Trace Bright, and Juan Nunez for Ragans and Sam Long?

21 hours ago, Malike said:

Mateo is starting to swoon, he's not going to start every day if he's not hitting. I think we're more likely to see Westburg to 2B and Mayo getting a good look at 3B.

I thought I saw posts on the board pointing to Westburg being limited defensively at 2nd whereas he was above average at 3rd.  If that’s the case I could see the O’s being worried they would not have great defense at 3rd or 2nd