Jim Bowden?  Nice to hear but does anyone put any stock into what he says.   

Honeycutt may very well be a dead pull hitter but Bowden is the first I’ve read saying it and, curiously, a few of his highlights are oppo homers.

• Like 1

Not that you can’t get talent later in the draft but it’s few and far between.

So, this draft likely comes down to 2 things:

1) Can you develop Honeycutt?

2) Becht vs O’Farrell. (If you prefer a different player to Becht, insert name there)

25 minutes ago, LookinUp said:

I understand that crazy things can happen after the first 10 rounds, but the idea of going under slot so you can take an upside arm later still doesn’t sit right with me. We end up spending millions on round 2-4 players with mid profiles while we skip pitching that typically has better profiles than the over slot guys we get later.

I really don’t like where I stand on this because I hate to disagree with the smartest front office the Orioles have had in 40 years. But I do.

That’s why he’s the smartest guy in the room, right?  Did you see ME talking to Honeycutt, had food in his mouth and grinning from ear to ear when handed the phone?  He felt they got a steal for sure.

17 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

Honeycutt may very well be a dead pull hitter but Bowden is the first I’ve read saying it and, curiously, a few of his highlights are oppo homers.

I watched a clip of Honeycutt saying his approach to hitting fastballs is to go Center-Right field and then to pull breaking pitches.  Not sure how the results align with the approach.

• Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

I watched a clip of Honeycutt saying his approach to hitting fastballs is to go Center-Right field and then to pull breaking pitches.  Not sure how the results align with the approach.

Pretty much what the Orioles teach/prefer.   Maybe everyone teaches it.

29 minutes ago, RZNJ said:

He is a little better at evaluations than proposed trades, but I generally agree. 

Ryan Prager looks interesting.  Perhaps a lefty version of Bradish with the exaggerated over the top delivery but with less velocity.  Maybe the O's can work with him like they did with Bradish to maximize his potential.

24 minutes ago, Hazmat said:

Ryan Prager looks interesting.  Perhaps a lefty version of Bradish with the exaggerated over the top delivery but with less velocity.  Maybe the O's can work with him like they did with Bradish to maximize his potential.

He's gone to Arizona

I found this an interesting read. They talked about Yesevage and his 22" vert on his 4S, but it won't be that in the MLB due to the difference in the balls. Just an interesting read, not the Bible, obviously.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• I'd pick him up. He can't be worse than Soto.
    • As soon as I read that article on MLB trade rumors, I knew somebody would mention this possibility. I’m saying no. After reading five glowing pages on Brandon Young, I would much rather give him a whirl. At the moment we have at least two basically unusable guys in the bullpen. Adding a third would be unwise.
    • Let's face facts. First, he isnt going to be the pitcher he was, even earlier this season. He's 36, his velocity is down as well as his command. If the Orioles weren't paying him 13 million(with a 1 million buyout) he wouldn't even be on this roster. I'd  consider Brandon Young coming up. He's a big kid with strikeout stuff. Pitched reasonably well last night on his birthday. This bullpen has at least two pitchers who Hyde cant even consider in any kind of tight game.I'd give Young a shot. He couldn't be worse than it already is.
    • I don't usually start these "XXX got released by a team not as good as us, should we be interested?". But given the state of our bullpen, would he be worth a look? He does have what appears to be one of the major qualifications to be in the 2024 Elias Orioles Bullpen:   he spent many years in the Philly bullpen. https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/40929004/cubs-releasing-former-closer-hector-neris
    • In a weird way, because I view Fabian as a future bench/role player, having clearly identifiable weaknesses isn’t necessarily a bad thing if it means he’s putting up good enough numbers against everything else. They should be able to shield him from his weaknesses in how they deploy him. Fabian very likely won’t ever hit MLB velo or righty breaking balls well enough to be a starter. But lefties on average throw a tick or two slower - can he handle MLB lefty velo? He may struggle with righty breaking balls going away from him, but will he be able to handle lefty offspeed going the same direction (or will he have issues like Cowser vs. righties)? He’s faced so few lefties in the lower minors, hopefully the Orioles can start getting a read on answering those questions at the AAA level. Austin Slater has a career 85 wRC+ vs RHP and 122 wRC+ LHP, and is a decent but not elite defender. He’s been around a 1 WAR/season bench player in his career, one of the better players in that limited role across the league during that time.  Fabian is probably a better defender, so the bar is even lower offensively - if he can even just be 75-85 wRC+ vs. RHP and 100-110 wRC+ vs LHP, he’ll be a pretty good bench piece. 
    • Huh? You don’t know what would have happened in that situation. The very next pitch was a 430 foot home run.    Alvarez hit a 98 mph fastball high and tight to deep center. Sometimes you tip your hat. The other guys get paid to play too. 
    • This just doesn’t even make any sense. They have the most wins in the AL and have the second most wins in the majors. For all of their struggles, they must be at least as good as everyone else. 
  • Popular Contributors