Heston Kjerstad 2024

OsFanSinceThe80s

37 minutes ago, rudyrooster said:

Heston looks a bit different this time being recalled.  Maybe it's Hyde batting him in the middle of the order compared to batting him in the bottom of the order in his previous call-ups.  He just looks less timid.  Perhaps showing a bit of swagger.  Then again, perhaps I'm looking thru rose-colored glasses.

He was hit 4 times before his promotion. 4 in a game. I think they lit a fire. 

• Confused 1

43 minutes ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Very good chance a prospect or player on the team that is popular with the fans gets traded for a pitcher. Kjerstad is a player I really don't want to give up he has the potential to be a special hitter.

34 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Is there any history to point to in a similar trade? Obviously most contenders are trading prospects for ML talent but I think highly unlikely we trade any of our 1-3 prospects and with Kjerstad looking ready to stay I’d be shocked if he were traded.

that leaves Bradfield, Beavers, Norby, Stowers, McDermott etc. I’d imagine that puts us in the rental market but probably not a top starter with multiple years of control

My first thought was Boston trading Nomar in 2004 en route to the Championship. He was most certainly a fan favorite on the ML roster. 

As for prospects, first thought is Gleyber traded for Chapman. I can't remember where he was in the Cubs prospect rankings, but I would imagine he was maybe top three. 

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Sports Guy said:

The rotation the last 4-6 games with Kjerstad and Cowser, along with the vets, has been very well done imo.

In ST I thought both Cowser and Kjerstad could make the team and this is exactly the type of rotation I was envisioning. 

Hays relegated to platoon bat was maybe the piece not yet in place on Opening Day, but now allowing this. 

2 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

My first thought was Boston trading Nomar in 2004 en route to the Championship. He was most certainly a fan favorite on the ML roster. 

As for prospects, first thought is Gleyber traded for Chapman. I can't remember where he was in the Cubs prospect rankings, but I would imagine he was maybe top three. 

Interesting that you bring up Nomar because do the Orioles possibly trade Mountcastle with Mayo on the horizon. Mountcastle can be part of a package that gets you some real bullpen help.

I don't envy Elias' job the next month he has a lot of hard choices to make. I don't think Mountcastle gets traded, but some prospects are going to go because the pitching needs reinforcements for the second half.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, OsFanSinceThe80s said:

Interesting that you bring up Nomar because do the Orioles possibly trade Mountcastle with Mayo on the horizon. Mountcastle can be part of a package that gets you some real bullpen help.

I don't envy Elias' job the next month he has a lot of hard choices to make. I don't think Mountcastle gets traded, but some prospects are going to go because the pitching needs reinforcements for the second half.

I think it's going to be shocking whenever a deal goes down. I've really grown to like most of the guys on this team and I'm very intrigued by many of the guys down on the farm. It could certainly be a Mountcastle, O'Hearn, Santander, etc. Or maybe one of the top three prospects. I just hope the return is worth it. Yeah, do not envy ME's job, but it is certainly important he pull the right strings this year. 

9 minutes ago, PHRESH said:

Ya Nomar is a  Great example.  Torres was the cubs top prospect if I remember correctly. It was definitely seen as a steal that the Yankees got him for a rental closer 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, casadeozo said:

Ya Nomar is a  Great example.  Torres was the cubs top prospect if I remember correctly. It was definitely seen as a steal that the Yankees got him for a rental closer 

Yep, especially since he returned to New York the following season. 

15 minutes ago, sportsfan8703 said:

He was hit 4 times before his promotion. 4 in a game. I think they lit a fire. 

He’s mashed all season. This is what was expected. He just didn’t get any consistent playing time last time. Doubt getting hit has anything to do with it

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, casadeozo said:

He’s mashed all season. This is what was expected. He just didn’t get any consistent playing time last time. Doubt getting hit has anything to do with it

Don’t discount stuff like that. These guys are all competitive and a small edge is a thing. An added chip on his shoulder. Sort of how both us and the Yankees had let down games from our tense 3 game series. 

By the same token, I will not discount all the hard work Heston put in and especially put in after his demotion. 

This isn’t the NFL. Sometimes you can go back to a player after “benching” them/sending them down.

I want to be clear that Im very aware that Bochy walking Kjerstad  to load the bases was a somewhat routine strategy. Its an obvious attempt to get a force or double play.. I understand that.. But I still had a small smile on my face when they walked him to load the bases, that this kid, with less than 30 MLB at bats is already creating a buzz around baseball, and that grand slam HR , his second HR in a week, was a "respect" moment. I have seen some  players with great starts, swoon, and some never recover. I dont feel that way about this guy. He looks nothing like a rookie or a very very young player.He is patient, never overswings, knows the strike zone, hits the ball with authority even in outs...and seems to really love to play. I think he's a keeper for sure, and just maybe a budding major star. My God, what talent we have. Now if we can just get some pitching, this is gonna be a fun summer. It already is. Heston Kjerstad is must see TV. I think he's gonna be a monster.