Fangraphs Updated Top 45 Prospect List

Can_of_corn

Fangraphs is fun but these guys are out there sometimes.   Last year they had Cowser at #12.   This year they have Fabian at #12 and Norby at #19.   I get that Fabian has defensive value compared to Norby but that just seems whacko.

I guess they are driven by certain stats.  Brandon Young at #10?   Generous.

• Upvote 2

Thought this was interesting at the very bottom of the article

There are so many interesting pitchers in this system that it was tough to include them all. There’s an org we’re aware of whose scouts need to write a full report on a player if he touches 95 in front of them. If you’re a scout from that team covering Baltimore, you’ve had to write up more than 80 pitchers based on their peak velo alone. The retaining wall of arms is strong in the upper levels, giving the Orioles the pitching depth to contend amid injuries.

18 minutes ago, jabba72 said:

Thought this was interesting at the very bottom of the article

I thought it was an exaggeration.  We only have 7 teams, including both DSL teams and the FCL.   Even if every team has 13 pitchers or so, can there possibly be more than 100 pitchers in the entire system?

4 hours ago, RZNJ said:

I thought it was an exaggeration.  We only have 7 teams, including both DSL teams and the FCL.   Even if every team has 13 pitchers or so, can there possibly be more than 100 pitchers in the entire system?

There are more than 13 pitchers per team in the minors.  Each DSL team has 20 pitchers each, and the stateside affiliates have around 15-16 per team.

7 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Fangraphs is fun but these guys are out there sometimes.   Last year they had Cowser at #12.   This year they have Fabian at #12 and Norby at #19.   I get that Fabian has defensive value compared to Norby but that just seems whacko.

The author had special notes regarding Cowser.

If you like, you can mentally map him right next to Astros outfielder Jacob Melton on the Top 100 list since those two have similar skill sets now that Cowser’s power has ticked up. There’s been no change to the FV grade here because Cowser graduated pretty early in 2024 and Eric just has to live with being wrong if indeed Cowser keeps performing like this.

Based on this I'd infer that Cowser would be #4 above Povich if he did a regrade, but he's trying to be honorable and fall on his sword here since he was down on him before.

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, Hallas said:

There are more than 13 pitchers per team in the minors.  Each DSL team has 20 pitchers each, and the stateside affiliates have around 15-16 per team.

Okie, Dokie.  Didn’t realize it was that many especially in the DSL.

56 minutes ago, Hallas said:

Based on this I'd infer that Cowser would be #4 above Povich if he did a regrade, but he's trying to be honorable and fall on his sword here since he was down on him before.

Yeah, I saw the rankings and read most of it.  I did see that part.

4 hours ago, Hallas said:

They should have done one for Westburg too! Big whiff by Fangraphs on him as well, they were much lower than anybody else. 

Melton is a 50 FV and #78 overall on the Board so that would make more sense for Cowser. 

Too low on Norby. All he’s done is hit in AAA. It’s not his fault he’s been an Infielder behind Gunnar, Westburg, Ortiz, Mayo, Hernaiz, Holliday, etc…

The tier of low minors pitching of De Leon, Baumeister, and Nunez, is always underrated. Hopefully our pitching prospects will start to get the love the hitters do. McDermott is still 1 K off the milb lead. 

Basallo getting a higher grade that Babe Mayo down there. Mayo should be a 60+ as well. 55 😂

21 hours ago, RZNJ said:

Yeah, these are absolutely bizarre.

1 hour ago, RZNJ said:

I didn’t catch it myself but someone pointed out that Matthew Etzel did not make the top 45.   That’s either an oversight or just plain ridiculous.

Liranzo is missing too.

FG has a light staff for cover all 30 orgs.  They have been publishing their lists later and later too.  Much of the rankings are based on 2023 and maybe some 2024 international scouting.  They also have a model that influences rankings (which is off too).

• Upvote 1